I did invalid confessions!

Hi, I'm writing this right now and my confession is only a couple hours away. I really need help. :crying::crying:
Here is my situation. I have been in so many confession in my life, but i just realized that i hold 2 mortal sins in all of my confession. Does this mean that all my other mortal sins and all the sins i admitted in confession and received absolution is completely invalid? When i go in confession next time, do i need to say the 2 mortal sins that i never told anyone and that i hold every time AND say all the other mortal sins that i already said before. It would take hours.... I Was very in deep pain when i confess all my sins the other times, but will all my other sins forgiven as i say my hidding sin?? What do i need to do really??

anyone!!!

[LEFT]Talk to your priest. He is there to help you. Explain just the way you did here. He will help you. Do not be afraid. Tell the two sins you omitted and under what circumstances. You are not going to be made to try to remember and ‘reconfess’ every OTHER sin you confessed while withholding those two.

God bless you. Don’t be afraid. [/LEFT]

[quote="Tantum_ergo, post:3, topic:289565"]
[LEFT]Talk to your priest. He is there to help you. Explain just the way you did here. He will help you. Do not be afraid. Tell the two sins you omitted and under what circumstances. You are not going to be made to try to remember and 'reconfess' every OTHER sin you confessed while withholding those two.

God bless you. Don't be afraid. [/LEFT]

[/quote]

This.

[quote="Tantum_ergo, post:3, topic:289565"]
[LEFT]Talk to your priest. He is there to help you. Explain just the way you did here. He will help you. Do not be afraid. Tell the two sins you omitted and under what circumstances. You are not going to be made to try to remember and 'reconfess' every OTHER sin you confessed while withholding those two.

God bless you. Don't be afraid. [/LEFT]

[/quote]

:thumbsup: Exactly. Your priest will guide you along. Just remember to be honest with him and with yourself.

[quote="sinner222, post:1, topic:289565"]
Hi, I'm writing this right now and my confession is only a couple hours away. I really need help. :crying::crying:
Here is my situation. I have been in so many confession in my life, but i just realized that i hold 2 mortal sins in all of my confession. Does this mean that all my other mortal sins and all the sins i admitted in confession and received absolution is completely invalid? When i go in confession next time, do i need to say the 2 mortal sins that i never told anyone and that i hold every time AND say all the other mortal sins that i already said before. It would take hours.... I Was very in deep pain when i confess all my sins the other times, but will all my other sins forgiven as i say my hidding sin?? What do i need to do really??

[/quote]

You don't need to reconfess all the other sins again if you forgot the 2 mortal sins previously but since the Holy Spirit has now brought these 2 to mind I would explain it to the priest just as you have here.

Talk to your confessor and be honest with him about what happened. Worst case scenario, you'll have to make a general confession from your last valid confession.

Yes, talk to your priest. Just make it clear to him whether you deliberately held back those mortal sins, or whether you just forgot. Do not be afraid. It does not have to take hours. The priest will help you.

Do what the OPs’ have said… I will say a Hail Mary for you right now!!

Hail Mary, Full of Grace, the LORD is with THEE, Blessed Art thou amongst women, and Blessed is the FRUIT of thy womb, JESUS, Holy Mary, Mother of GOD, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

I made a General Confession once by appointment. It wasn't all that bad. The priest was very much at ease, asked me pertinent questions, but otherwise just let me confess from a list I'd made.

It was very therapeutic for me.

If your priest deems it necessary to make a General Confession of all your sins, don't freak out. It's easier than you think and it gives you peace of mind.

I had the same problem as you. I went to confession, explained to the priest that I was not confessing a mortal sin because of X reason. He asked a few question for further explanation about the situation, I answered as truthfully as I could, he gave me penance and absolved me and that was it. You are not the first person who is in this situation, trust me. So go to confession asap, explain the circumstances and be honest.

If you only ‘just realized’, then it sounds like you were not deliberately trying to hold them back, but simply forgot. In which case you are fine, just confess those two sins and any others since your last confession.

Even if you DID deliberately hold them back, and perhaps need to reconfess, don’t worry. God only expects you to do your best and remember what you can. Remember only your past mortal sins need reconfessing, not the minor ones. He will not hold it against you if you cannot remember everything.

I went about a dozen years without making a confession at one stage. Even then, my first one back was not long, and I had far from perfect recall or understanding. It was valid nonetheless.

[quote="LilyM, post:12, topic:289565"]

I went about a dozen years without making a confession at one stage. Even then, my first one back was not long, and I had far from perfect recall or understanding. It was valid nonetheless.

[/quote]

After I state my sins I always add that for all those sins and all those that I cannot remember at the moment I am sorry and ask for God's forgivness. In this way I cover my back so to speak, because most times I do forget to mention something.

I’m not saying this is you but speaking objectively anyone who goes to Confession and DELIBERATELY withholds any mortal sins then any sins that are confessed are NOT forgiven even if the priest gives absolution.
On the other hand if a person genuinely forgets to confess some mortal sins then their sins are forgiven, even the ones forgotten (albeit you should mention them at the next Confession).

I have to echo what the others said about speaking to your priest. He definitely cares about your soul and wants you to make the best confession that you can, and he can and will always guide you through it if needed. Praying for you now and for future confessions!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.