I didn't get a penance

I am going to a new church and I went to confession and didn’t get a penance. My mom said it’s probably because I didn’t do anything that bad. I don’t feel comfortable telling people on here what I did, but it was pretty bad. I have severe social anxiety and bipolar disorder and when I walked into confession I was really nervous, so I forgot to tell the priest my name after he told me his. I have no idea what’s going on. He just prayed for me and that’s it. Does anyone know what’s going on?

Again, I apologize if this is in the wrong place because I don’t know where else to put it.

[quote="Lizlis1991, post:1, topic:313153"]
I am going to a new church and I went to confession and didn't get a penance. My mom said it's probably because I didn't do anything that bad. I don't feel comfortable telling people on here what I did, but it was pretty bad. I have severe social anxiety and bipolar disorder and when I walked into confession I was really nervous, so I forgot to tell the priest my name after he told me his. I have no idea what's going on. He just prayed for me and that's it. Does anyone know what's going on?

Again, I apologize if this is in the wrong place because I don't know where else to put it.

[/quote]

Your priest probably forgot to have you do a penance.

Depending on the gravity of your sins, I'd suggest doing a penance you think is sufficient. If you are used to getting 5 Our Fathers or Hail Marys, etc., do that and then some extra, just to be sure.

Then I'd suggest going to your pastor and just asking him what you should do in that situation, and follow his direction.

Don't feel bad about it, your confession is still valid and the sins are forgiven; all that you missed by not getting a penance is the remission of temporal punishment.

I am going to a new church and I went to confession and didn't get a penance. My mom said it's probably because I didn't do anything that bad. I don't feel comfortable telling people on here what I did, but it was pretty bad. I have severe social anxiety and bipolar disorder and when I walked into confession I was really nervous, so I forgot to tell the priest my name after he told me his. I have no idea what's going on. He just prayed for me and that's it. Does anyone know what's going on?

Again, I apologize if this is in the wrong place because I don't know where else to put it.

[/quote]

As a side note, you shouldn't feel obliged to tell the priest your name. I've never done it, and probably wouldn't if the priest asked me because I get very nervous in Confession. I know, I know, the seal, but I always go to Confession with a screen because I would get extremely unsettled doing it face to face. But hey, that's just me. As long as you confess your sins then you're doing it right.

[/quote]

Some priests don't always give a penance. There's one I go to on a fairly regular basis who doesn't assign the traditional penance of certain prayers like the Our Father, but will ask you to pray for others in your situation, or think about the issue in a different way. Your confession was still valid if you were absolved, even if you didn't get a penance. If it's important to you, say a rosary and pray for the intentions of the Pope.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.