I didnt go to mass yesterday

Ok, so my life is really complicated at the moment and i view everything in terms of what day it is as opposed to date.

A couple of times yesterday i thought to myself, am i obligated to go to mass today? Anyhow, I didnt follow it up and now realise i missed mass (basically on purpose).

I feel really bad and would appreciate if someone has a list of what a Catholic has/should be doing every year.

Fasting, days of obligation, prayers for so and so etc…

Absolutely EVERYTHING that i must do, a comprehensive list fully endorsed by the Church would be great.

Im still not sure about fasting rules/days, obligation days etc… what happens if i brake the lent fast, which i have done every year of my life. :frowning:

So if someone has a comprehensive list out there it would be nice.

Thx in advance.

In Christ.

Andre.

If you knew it was a holy day of obligation and decided not to attend, then you could be in serious spiritual trouble. Get to a priest and confess ASAP!

As for holy days of obligation, every Sunday is (Vigil Mass being acceptable for that, as for any other day of obligation). Your parish will announce the days you must attend Mass. And fasting is simple, too. We fast before feasts, so if you are going to attend a feast day, be it a holy day of obligation or not, fast the day before. You do not have to keep every feast on the Church calendar, except holy days of obligation, though. Every Friday is a day of penance throughout the year except that during Lent you must fast from meat, whereas you may choose another form of penance the rest of the year.

[quote=Magicsilence]Ok, so my life is really complicated at the moment and i view everything in terms of what day it is as opposed to date.

A couple of times yesterday i thought to myself, am i obligated to go to mass today? Anyhow, I didnt follow it up and now realise i missed mass (basically on purpose).

I feel really bad and would appreciate if someone has a list of what a Catholic has/should be doing every year.

Absolutely EVERYTHING that i must do, a comprehensive list fully endorsed by the Church would be great.

Im still not sure about fasting rules/days, obligation days etc… what happens if i brake the lent fast, which i have done every year of my life. :frowning:

Thx in advance.

In Christ.

Andre.
[/quote]

This is a great calendar for highlighting holy days of obligation and other important Church dates - along with rules and guidelines to help you meet the requirements. It’s call The Beauty of Grace.

[quote=YinYangMom]This is a great calendar for highlighting holy days of obligation and other important Church dates - along with rules and guidelines to help you meet the requirements. It’s call The Beauty of Grace.
[/quote]

Thanks this is just what I was looking for…they make great Christmas gifts.

Magicsilence,

This is the third time I’m going to ask this, and I hope I receive a response: do you have problems with Obsessive-Cumpulsive Disorder? Your questions here, as well as previous questions, makes me wonder if you are suffering from scrupulosity. If so, then the kind of list that you are asking for is NOT a good thing for you to have, as it may become a cause of more anxiety, and you seem to have plenty of that as it is.

Relax.

[quote=Sherlock]Magicsilence,

This is the third time I’m going to ask this, and I hope I receive a response: do you have problems with Obsessive-Cumpulsive Disorder? Your questions here, as well as previous questions, makes me wonder if you are suffering from scrupulosity. If so, then the kind of list that you are asking for is NOT a good thing for you to have, as it may become a cause of more anxiety, and you seem to have plenty of that as it is.

Relax.
[/quote]

Maybe im just in denial but i dont think i do suffer from such a disorder. I do want to make sure that i am doing everything i should be doing as a faithful Catholic.

And to Della, we have never as a family gone to mass on this day before, hence my confusion. It was a massive combination of factors, but yes, i will confess it on Saturday.

Um, if i do have an illness, thats really sad, I thought I was supposed to be the one that didnt get ill, :stuck_out_tongue: . Lol, no, i don’t suffer from it, I’m just rechecking the tenets of my faith.

Unless I am scrupulous and dont realize it.

I used to feel guilty about playing cards instead of praying. Now (after my general confession on Monday, after which God abandoned me for one whole day !!! Trust me, it was horrible.) I dont feel so guilty, and maybe my zeal for the faith has diminished a fair bit. But I’m a lot happier, have less doubts about burning in hell than i used to etc…

Um, ok, this post is rambling.

End.

[quote=Magicsilence]Maybe im just in denial but i dont think i do suffer from such a disorder. I do want to make sure that i am doing everything i should be doing as a faithful Catholic.

And to Della, we have never as a family gone to mass on this day before, hence my confusion. It was a massive combination of factors, but yes, i will confess it on Saturday.

Um, if i do have an illness, thats really sad, I thought I was supposed to be the one that didnt get ill, :stuck_out_tongue: . Lol, no, i don’t suffer from it, I’m just rechecking the tenets of my faith.

Unless I am scrupulous and dont realize it.

I used to feel guilty about playing cards instead of praying. Now (after my general confession on Monday, after which God abandoned me for one whole day !!! Trust me, it was horrible.) I dont feel so guilty, and maybe my zeal for the faith has diminished a fair bit. But I’m a lot happier, have less doubts about burning in hell than i used to etc…

Um, ok, this post is rambling.

End.
[/quote]

Hi Magicsilence,

I have to apologize for the terseness in my last post to you—mea culpa!

But I do have some concerns, based on this and previous posts, that you might be at least inclined to scrupulosity. At the very least, you seem a little overly concerned at times with the idea of mortal sin—remember, you can’t “accidentally” commit mortal sin.

I’d recommend a book called “The Fire Within” by Fr. Dubay (sp?). It doesn’t have anything to do with scrupulosity, but instead is about contemplative prayer (St. Theresa of Avila and St. John of the Cross being the guides). I mention this book because it shows the joys of a deepening communion with God—which might be a good antidote to a tendency to scrupulosity.

[quote=Della]If you knew it was a holy day of obligation and decided not to attend, then you could be in serious spiritual trouble. Get to a priest and confess ASAP!

[/quote]

See, I knew it was a holy day of obligation but I didn’t attend. But I am in a different situation because I’m in RCIA and didn’t know you had to go.

This is different from what is described above, right?

[quote=Paris Blues]See, I knew it was a holy day of obligation but I didn’t attend. But I am in a different situation because I’m in RCIA and didn’t know you had to go.

This is different from what is described above, right?
[/quote]

Yes–Nicole, you didn’t know. But it would have been advisable to go, since you are trying to observe Catholic ways of life even though you’re not “official” yet. Going to Mass (even if you can’t yet receive communion) is still a good idea—not just Sunday Mass, but Holy Days of Obligation as well. Daily Mass, even, if you can do it!

[quote=Magicsilence]Ok, so my life is really complicated at the moment and i view everything in terms of what day it is as opposed to date.

Thx in advance.

In Christ.

Andre.
[/quote]

Relax. The very fact that you care about these things at all is a gift from God. Why don’t you simply start by acknowledging the sin in your life, praise God for being patient and merciful, and for providing his Son so that your sins can be forgiven in His name. Then ask God to help you to see the changes He wants you to make in your life. Be patient. Finally, resolve to learn what the Catholic teaches as far as “obligations”, and plan to discuss your faith shortcomings and aspirations in confession this week. God loves you - let that fact truly sink into your heart and praise him…

Phil

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.