I didn't want to lie but my job and career requires it? some times

It is more blessed to give than to receive

God bless him. What I said is in the Bible, probably a proverb

Every single lie is not a sin. Many Catholics, including Pope St. John XXIII, lied to protect Jews during WWII. Do you think that they sinned?

No, every lie is a sin. What exactly constitutes a lie can be considered. And mental reservation may be a valid technique. But whatever is a lie is a sin.

It’s doing what you need to do to survive. I see nothing wrong with it.

Sometimes I’ll have a confused patient who wakes up and is very worried about the turkey in the oven or if the kids got home safe or if they have to go to school today through all this snow (in the middle of July).
The simplest thing is to enter into their POV, and reassure them that I just basted the turkey, the kids are in bed, and they just called school off.

2482 "A lie consists in speaking a falsehood with the intention of deceiving."The Lord denounces lying as the work of the devil: “You are of your father the devil, . . . there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks according to his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies.”

Many Catholics, including Pope St. John XXIII, spoke falsehoods with the intentions of deceiving to protect Jews during WWII.

Pretty sure they went to Confession if they believe their sin was Mortal ( but I doubt it ) otherwise their sin was forgiven at the beginning of Mass ( which is more than likely the case ).

No matter how Noble the cause may be, telling a falsehood is a sin. That is why we generally don’t have to confess these Noble lies, they are generally forgiven during the Pentitential Rite at the beginning of Mass.

The problem with having a job that requires you to lie even sometimes is that while it might seem like the lies are small or not a big deal, the “smaller” lies are usually the most dangerous as it can normalize the behavior so that the bigger ones don’t seem so bad. Also once you start down that road it will not just contain itself to one area of your life it will usually permeate everything.

I once got fired from a job because I refused to engage in unethical sales practices, it hurt me financially and took me a long time to get out of that but, ultimately standing my ground not compromising myself has made me a much stronger person.

Do you work in, say, a bridal shop, and you need to make people feel confident? “You look fabulous in that!” “That is so you!” :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s really about the only scenario I can think of-- a job that requires indiscriminate flattery, although technically, there’s always enough ways to honestly complement someone without being insincere.

I once bought a car from a certain dealership. The salesman had promised me a free loaner car if my car is in their shop for more than 2 hours. I still remember the first time I went there, with a toddler and an infant in tow, depending on that loaner car to get us to the library so we could spend our four-hour wait time in more comfortable surroundings. They refused to honor it, and I got to sit in their waiting room with an infant and toddler for half a day.

That day was the last day their shop touched my car. I will never buy a car from them in the future. And they don’t get good recommendations from me whenever the subject of car-buying comes up.

I don’t do business with liars.

Those people may be only guilty of a venial sin because of their fear, but, the lie was still a sin. See the CCC sections above as well as many Scripture citations (Rev 28:8 comes to mind).

And that what I said in post 27…

After a move across the country, I was between jobs and tried my hand at selling cars. I can tell you first hand that if you sell cars, you are expected to lie. Lie, lie, lie. And if you refuse to lie, don’t expect management to help you close any deals.

I witnessed one guy who refused to lie who did okay as a sales rep, but they quickly moved him into an isolated management position where his refusal to lie would not affect the sales team. I, on the other hand, fled that place in just under two months.

Once I sold large products, not going to say what. But it was one ethical dilemma after another. It’s difficult to stand up for the truth.

But as for lying to people who would abuse you if you told them the truth, they don’t deserve the truth. “The truth? You can’t handle the truth!” from a famous movie.

Every day as a rebel for Christ, you have to hold in the truth. If you meet a transgender person, you can’t just tell them the truth: you are a person with deep psychological problems and being near you makes me feel like I’m walking in quick sand. So you don’t. You pretend you’re okay with them, but you’re not at all. When you get home, you’ll probably laugh at how ridiculous they seem to you.

The truth and reality don’t often mix for me.

I don’t have to lie at my job but I often see my colleagues being put in positions where they are encouraged to lie. It is for small things that “don’t matter” and doing it the right way would cost time and money. It is depressing. It infuriates me but it is part of our society’s lack of integrity. I push back where I can.

I lied a lot as a child to protect myself. I can say no matter how good the reason, lying takes its toll on you. It can become a mindless habit and difficult to stop. Satan isn’t called the Father of Lies for nothing.

What is your job?

Thanks for sharing. I have known bible students who became used car sales. Its a people business.

Wow you are so right in your moral understand ing

One boss manager said it is normal to lie a little bit everyday. Cuz. … Everyone he knows is Like that!

Given your example: you have no duty to tell the trans person what you think if they did not ask. Failing to blurt out your opinion is not remotely the same thing as lying.

Ummmm, that is Christlike?

Can you show me where Christ ever laughed at people to ridicule them?

How about “I love all people and see Christ in each person”? Treat every human being with the respect and dignity that is theirs. THAT is radical Christianity

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.