I don’t know if I am committing a mortal sin

Hi I am worried I have committed a mortal sin the question is if you are doing something that might arouse you but it’s not evil nor inappropriate but weirdly can arouse you are you committing a mortal sin

To be in mortal sin the following 3 things must happen-

1. The thought/action must be ‘grave matter’
  2. You must know it is grave matter
  3. You willingly do it anyway

If the thought/action does not meet ALL 3 criteria, you are not in mortal sin.

2 Likes

Hmm I’d be careful. I’m embarrassed to say this but I’m aroused by something which is perfectly normal to see in public but I know it’d be a mortal sin for me to dwell on it because that’d be lust. I recommend you talk it over with your confessor. Do that whenever you have a question about morality! Don’t just count on us amateur theologians! :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

As far as I can tell from what you have said, the act is not gravely immoral. A mortal sin is an act which is entirely incompatible with the love of God and neighbor. Arousal is an effect (a consequence), which may occur in various circumstances, some of which are gravely immoral and others of which are not.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.