I don’t think this was a sin but I’m not sure

I’m going to preface this by saying that this is a “adult” situation and apologize if anyone doesn’t feel like it’s appropriate.

For several months now I’ve woken up in the middle of the night and found myself masturbating. Upon realizing what’s going on I immediately stop, ask God to forgive me, and go back to sleep. I’ve brought this up to a priest and he said that I was not sinning and it’s good that I stop when I realize what’s happening.

Recently I had a dream that I was doing the same and realized in the morning that I had also presumable done the act while asleep (not just in my dream). I have no memory of actually doing it and felt a great amount of shame when I realized what had happened. Is this something that I should bring up in my next confession? Or is it not considered a sin since I was asleep and had no control over the situation?

Thank you and God bless!

You need to speak to your priest again.

I concur that speaking to your priest is the best thing to do. But we have to be aware that we’re sinning. For a sin to be considered mortal, 3 conditions must exist: grave matter, full knowledge, full consent. Masturbating is a grave matter, sure, but if you were sleeping you had neither full knowledge nor could you give full consent.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.