I don't feel forgiven of my sin of presumption. How to fix it?

Here is what the saints say about deathbed confessions:

St. Alphonsus Liguori
“The dying sinner will confess his sins, but, according to St. Augustine, ‘The repentance which is sought from a sick man is infirm.’ And St. Jerome says, that ‘Of a hundred thousand sinners who continue till death in the state of sin, scarcely one shall be saved.’ St. Vincent Ferrer writes, that ‘It is a greater miracle to save such sinners, than to raise the dead to life.’ They shall feel convinced of the evil they have done; they will wish, but shall not be able, to detest it.” Sermon XXXVIII.-On The Death of The Sinner

Now I have no intent whatsoever to indulge in sin and do a deathbed confession to try to loophole my way into heaven…

…but I have committed the sin of presumption many times in my life, and those who seek only a deathbed confession is basically just a very long, prolonged, presumption.

So when I see these quotes, it sounds like there is not much hope for people who commit the sin of presumption. I’m scared and want to know how the sin can be forgiven.

I’ve confessed it in the past and I regret ever presuming God’s mercy, but it sounds like it won’t matter because
‘It is a greater miracle to save such sinners, than to raise the dead to life.’ according to St. Vincent Ferrer.

P.S,

The unhappy beings will go to confession at the hour of death; they will promise and weep, and ask mercy of God, but without knowing what they do.” Sermon XXXVIII.-On The Death of The Sinner

How would this sinner be damned? for “without knowing what they do”? Doesn’t a mortal sin have to have full knowledge and deliberate consent?

From Catholic answers, this may help a little
https://www.catholic.com/qa/what-is-the-sin-of-presumption

I often have that attitude, and what do I do? I confess it along with the other sins. Yes, I know it’s dangerous, and yes, I know it’s difficult to repent of.

But what else can I do but recognize it for what it is, confess it and resolve not to do it again. Then I move on and leave it in God’s merciful hands, because that’s really all one can do.

There is no point living one’s life in fear. God is not a tormentor for those who are conscious of their sins and strive to live, so I will not fall into yet another sin of despair. All I know is that I will try, and may God have mercy on me.

From your posts, you must really have some deep issues. You worry too much and quite frankly, I think you have a very unhealthy image of our loving God.

Catechism of the Catholic Church

1453 The contrition called “imperfect” (or “attrition”) is also a gift of God, a prompting of the Holy Spirit. It is born of the consideration of sin’s ugliness or the fear of eternal damnation and the other penalties threatening the sinner (contrition of fear). Such a stirring of conscience can initiate an interior process which, under the prompting of grace, will be brought to completion by sacramental absolution. By itself however, imperfect contrition cannot obtain the forgiveness of grave sins, but it disposes one to obtain forgiveness in the sacrament of Penance.52
52 Cf. Council of Trent (1551): DS 1678; 1705.

There is always hope. In fact, hope for eternal life is the beginning and end of our faith. Think about the good thief on the cross, at the point of death he had perfect contrition, and was saved. God is merciful.

It sounds to me like the saints are saying that the lifelong sinner repenting on his deathbed won’t have time to develop a true hatred and subsequent rejection of his sin, and that this is caused by having put off dealing with his sinful presumption until the last minute. It’s the nearness to death that causes the problem, not the nature of the sin.

You seem to be aware of the sin and working to avoid it, so you are already a step ahead of those who repent at the last minute. You will have had more chance to “recover” from your sin even if you die tomorrow, and longer if you survive.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.