I don't feel like praying

Does anyone feeel they sin too much to pray i feel i dnt want to pray because of sin

Never. If you feel unable to pray formal prayers , try speaking to God as you would speak to a parent or a counsellor. Its still prayer and God will hear what you say from your heart.

The best time to pray is when you don’t feel like praying, because that means you’re choosing to pray even though you won’t get the feel-good emotions that otherwise come out of it. You’re choosing to have a relationship with God for God and not for the things He gives you. Praying when you don’t feel like praying, including when you don’t feel like praying because of sin (get to confession ASAP btw), helps us to love God more.

And by the way, nobody ever sins too much to pray. God always desires for us to pray, even after we’ve sinned, because if we are genuine, we are turning back to Him.

I can sympathise as i am like this on occassions. It can be very difficult to pray. A feeling of unworthyness. I guess the answer is to say no to the devil and push through it.

It’s the devils trick. It happens to me a lot; sometimes when I sin and feel unworthy speaking to God, I imagine he thinks I’m not sincere enough. That’s when you just gotta push through that. Jesus would rather us right away acknowledge our faults and seek for forgiveness.

I agree 100%. I find that one of the Enemy’s subtlest tricks is when he whispers, ‘How can you dare to approach The Most High in your sinful state? You are a disgrace, and unworthy of praying to either God or the saints, and what’s more, you never will be worthy. Just forget it’.

When this happens, kick the Devil to the curb. Say: “I reject, renounce, & rebuke Satan in the Name of Jesus Christ!”

Then go on & pray the Rosary. The Blessed Mother will hold you close to Jesus.

Imagine that a new family moved in next door to you. I am going to assume you are a guy for this exercise.

They are friendly and you begin chatting, your kids are the same age and they begin playing together. Soon you are having cook-outs and dinner at each others home.

One night after a dinner at their house, you say to your spouse “Have you noticed that the neighbors never talk to each other?” Spouse agrees that she has noticed the same thing.

Next time you and the guy next door are hanging out having a beer, you say “Joe, you and your wife and kids are nice people, but why do you never talk to each other?”

Joe tells you that they stopped talking a while back. The do have one hour on Sunday when they sit around and have “talking time” simply to go through the motions. That he has done bad things, so, he does not even feel like talking to his wife anymore.

You would think there was some serious trouble headed for that marriage!

This is like our relationship with God. If we do not communicate, our relationship can crumble and fall away.

Pray, talk to God, pour out your heart, tell him you are sorry and ask for the strength to get to Confession. He is waiting to forgive you, to heal your relationship.

Hey I have been in your shoes and know that feeling. One of the things that helped me through times like that was confession! What a beautiful sacrament that brings to light our sins and gives us an opportunity to not only be forgiven but also receive some feedback from the priest! I recommend going as often as you can until you get a handle on the sins your struggling with!

Genesis 3

8 And when they heard the voice of the Lord God walking in paradise at the afternoon air, Adam and his wife hid themselves from the face of the Lord God, amidst the trees of paradise. 9 And the Lord God called Adam, and said to him: Where art thou? 10 And he said: I heard thy voice in paradise; and I was afraid, because I was naked, and I hid myself.

I usually say aspirations throughout the day. The Jesus prayer is a good one. “Lord Jesus Christ have mercy upon me, a sinner”.repeat it in your head over and over throughout the day. Or make one of your own. You don’t have to be long winded. Just stay in contact. The rosary is also a great way to pray. The rosary has changed my life. Some of the more chronic sins I used to commit are virtually gone, but I’m still far from perfect. Don’t be so hard on yourself. We’re all human. That’s why we have confession.

In case you don’t know how to do the Holy Rosary:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mother+angelica+holy+rosary

All the mysteries are here, & you just need to listen or watch. :slight_smile:

‘For prayer is nothing else than being on terms of friendship with God’ - St Teresa of Avila

St. John Damascene says that prayer is raising the mind and heart to God.

WWJD?

there is only ONE unforgivable sin: Denial of God

My friend God IS on YOUR side if YOU will permit Him to be:blush:

Talk to God; He’s a GREAT listener!

May God guide your life path,
Patrick

You are right. Sin can be a barrier to a life of prayer and if you give up sin tehn your capacity to pray will grow exponentially.

If you don’t feel like praying @Eli , then start your prayer by telling God you don’t feel like doing what you are doing and go on from there .

Be yourself in prayer .

Don’t feel any need to put on a mask .

God wants you to pray with Him just as you are with no pretence .

Sin to much to pray eh? Reminds me of:

Luke 5:30-32
30 And the Pharisees and their scribes murmured against his disciples, saying, “Why do you eat and drink with tax collectors and sinners?” 31 And Jesus answered them, “Those who are well have no need of a physician, but those who are sick; 32 I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.”

Jesus … yes, OUR Jesus … had what I call a “tavern ministry”.

He was known to associate with tax collectors and prostitutes; and he was called a drunkard and a glutton. I don’t think he gained that reputation because he was always going to Wednesday night prayer meetings; rather, he seemed to frequent other spots. He seemed to always be showing up in unlikely places for a “religious” person, like parties and banquets.

After work, people used to seek Him out.

And He cured their sick children … or whatever.

Or touch his tassel.

The shortest prayer I know is “help”.

So, why did Jesus go to bars?

It is not that Jesus wanted people to be failures. He was in the business of rebuilding broken lives. But in order to rebuild, people have to know they are broken. And they’ve got to have someplace to go where they can admit their need. We all need that. We need a place to go where people will not ridicule us for our failures and our weakness, but will love us and accept us instead; someplace where people will say, “it’s okay.” And it seems, even today, that you can be more honest with your failures in a bar than in a church. That’s sad, and I know that is not what God intended. But I guess that is why Jesus felt at home in a bar and avoided places like church, where everyone has to pretend to be better than he is.

Have mercy on me, Oh Lord … a sinner.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.