I don't know all the rules!

I’ve been brought up a catholic and was baptised at birth e.t.c.e.t.c. My parents taught my Catholic values and I’m still a strong believer. However, after being on this forum, it has dawned on me that I might be sinning because I don’t know all the rules of being a catholic!! Like I knew about contraception, and sex before marriage and abortion and all that, but I had NO IDEA about sin causing depression and a whole lot of other stuff. I’m worried now that I am sinnign and not even relising it!!! I’ve started by reading the proverbs and Leviticus, but I don’t know what to do? How do you remember them all? I really don’t want to do wrong, but it seems so hard!

I’m not sure what you think you are doing that is sinful.

To learn what the Church teaches, first get a Catechism and begin to study it. Look at what it says about the Ten Commandments and sin. You can find the Catechism of the Catholic Church online, too.

Sins we commit can cause us to become depressed or despondent, but if you suffer from depression it can also be caused by other factors.

That’s because for approximately the last two thousand years, a man-made institution has been adding its own interpretation to a man-made myth.
Is there one single catholic out there that can, with hand on heart, say that they know every single catholic teaching??
I’m going to stick my neck out and say that there isn’t anybody, not one, not even the Pope. You would have to spend an entire lifetime studying and living the teachings, which would leave no time to find a partner to further the species, because those that do devote their time (priests) are not allowed to marry. This would, very quickly, cause the human race to become extinct.

If there is anybody that does know all catholic teachings, I look forward to a healthy debate.

who told you sin causes depression?
it may, I suppose, especially if the sinful activity is the type that degrades one’s personality, but it is not inevitable. Why not just follow the 10 commandments, the laws in Leviticus are for the Jews, so if you are not Jewish, you are not bound by them. It is not rocket science. Honor, love and worship God. Love your neighbor as yourself.

Don’t worry, sin requires full knowledge and full consent of the will. I.E. you can’t sin if you don’t know it.

You should, however, continually strife to know the Truth and Gods’ will for you. Keep reading the bible, receiving the sacraments and seeking The Lord.

May the grace and mercy of Christ be with your always.

Your servant in Christ.

Well, there are certain qualities to being Catholic, but I really don’t think there are certain “rules”. You don’t need to know EVERYTHING to be a good Catholic; it’s all about instinct and understanding what’s right, what’s wrong, what’s good, and what’s bad. It’s all common sense.

And besides, Leviticus will scare and possibly startle you. It’s very strict, and opens your eyes to a bit of hyprocritical nature.

I don’t even think we, as Catholics, necessarily abide by Leviticus. Our teachings come from Jesus… or so *I’ve *been taught. :o

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

My dear young friend the above advice from Puzzleannie is good advice. From reading your post I get a sense that you have a great curiousity about your faith and that is admirable.

My suggestion is the following idea. Theology can be captivating. However, it can also cloud over one’s faith. My view of faith is simple and it serves me well if life.

May God bless you and keep you.:slight_smile:

Jesus summed it up for us to 2 rules. All the rest come under one of these 2 headings. Primary with both is LOVE. God is Love and the more we love, the closer we get to God.

Mark 12:29-33
usccb.org/nab/bible/mark/mark12.htm
Jesus replied, "The first is this: 'Hear, O Israel! The Lord our God is Lord alone!
You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.'
The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these."
The scribe said to him, “Well said, teacher. You are right in saying, 'He is One and there is no other than he.'
And ‘to love him with all your heart, with all your understanding, with all your strength, and to love your neighbor as yourself’ is worth more than all burnt offerings and sacrifices.”

Most people on here would disagree with that assessment.

Is there one single catholic out there that can, with hand on heart, say that they know every single catholic teaching??
I’m going to stick my neck out and say that there isn’t anybody, not one, not even the Pope.

It depends on what you mean. If you mean do you know every single theological debate, tradition, and writing of the Catholic Church, then no, no one comes even close. However, if you mean does everyone understand the basic teachings about our salvation and what does and does not constitute sin, well, I’d wager that pretty much every adult confirmed Catholic knows that (and likely a bunch of teens and older children as well).

You would have to spend an entire lifetime studying and living the teachings,

Hardly. I feel that even if I never learned another thing about Catholicism until the day I died, I have a firm grasp on the faith at this point. Most Catholics that have grown up Catholic do.

which would leave no time to find a partner to further the species, because those that do devote their time (priests) are not allowed to marry. This would, very quickly, cause the human race to become extinct.

Um, you do know that this is just a discipline and can be changed, right? You realize that the Catholic Church allowed any parish priest to be married up until the 11th century, right (as long as he was married before he was ordained)? You also realize that there are many married Catholic priests today, don’t you? The entire Eastern branch of the Catholic Church allows for married priests, and priest in the Latin branch can get married with special permission of the pope. Typically, this is only currently allowed for converts who were ministers in other denominations, but it could be changed at any time. There are more than 100 married priests in the US alone…

If there is anybody that does know all catholic teachings, I look forward to a healthy debate.

Do I know all the teachings that are essential to my salvation? (Holy Trinity, Jesus as savior, 10 commandments, mortal vs. venial sin, sacrament of reconciliation, heaven, hell, purgatory, indulgences) Well, yes, I’d say I do.

"Do I know all the teachings that are essential to my salvation? (Holy Trinity, Jesus as savior, 10 commandments, mortal vs. venial sin, sacrament of reconciliation, heaven, hell, purgatory, indulgences) Well, yes, I’d say I do."
Rolltide,
From the not yet catholic view, I will say this answer you gave completely wipes out any concern non catholic christians may have that there is “too much Mary” and not enough Jesus in the catholic church.

:slight_smile:

Blade & Blood is mostly right here–much of the Mosaic law contained in Leviticus has been set aside. It is believed to have been fulfilled in the full revelation of Christ’s Incarnation, passion and death.

There really is no need to bog yourself down with memorizing lists of rules. Basically you want to avoid things that directly harm you or another person. You should avoid excess attachment to material things or lack of moderation in life’s pleasures (good food, alcohol, etc.). You should place God’s will at the center of your thinking, and try to be obedient to the authority of the Church and those who have legitimate authority over you here on earth, so long as they are not acting contrary to basic moral truths.

In light of the two golden rules (Love God with all your heart, mind, and soul and love thy neighbor as thyself) most issues of right and wrong are largely common sense. Some things require serious debate and thought. In these cases, if you make a wrong decision out of ignorance, then you do your best to correct that ignorance and move on. Sometimes we do not fuly understand the Church’s reasoning on something she has said is required belief. In that case, you should try to accept and act in obedience to the Church’s authority while praying for understanding. Of course, you can feel free to ask questions, too. When you find you have fallen, you pick yourself back up and go to Confession.

Often it is hard to do what we know is right, because it isn’t the choice that most benefits ourselves at the time. But then that is the basic definition of sin from the old Baltimore Catechism–sin is placing your own desires above the will of God. In doing so, we tell God He is not important to us. However, since He is our creator and loves us beyond human understanding, we belong to Him and owe Him our love and obedience.

Relax!. So you’ve had the wake up call that a lot of us have had. Hooray for the Holy Spirit. We needed to learn more about the faith.We needed to be adults and complete our education. You cannot commit a mortal sin unintentionally so don’t worry so much about that. God said to be not afraid. We don’t want you freaking out and being scrupulous.

You should start studying the Catechism. Nothing wrong with studying the bible but you have to realize that we are not under the old law and some of those rules in the OT don’t apply.
I recommend Catholicsm for Dummies for folks trying to bone up on the Catholic faith. Oh and ask questions here. And read the church documents they explain alot. Otherwise just go along and learn. Sometimes you are going to mess up. That’s why Christ gave us Confession. Get some Examinations of Conscience and that will give you another starting point to review what the church considers a sin and then you can study those areas. Once you get the basics reviewed then you can branch out to Catholic Bible studies for your enrichment.

As far as sin causing depression. Not really sure of what you mean by that. Many things cause depression including chemicals in our body so that statement needs more fleshing out.

Here’s a link to the current Catechism: vatican.va/archive/ccc/index.htm

And here’s a link to a searchable one.

God bless you,

Ruthie

The rules? Definitely learn them! There are lots of different ways, pick some or all- first, read the Catechism or another Catholic book that might be easier- (not to take away from the Catechism, it is the best book!) Read the Bible too. if you can, even go to classes. Listen to Catholic radio, watch EWTN when you have time, whatever you can think of! I’m sure if you asked your priest, he might be able to answer any questions you can’t find answers to. And because we are not saved completely by works, trust in God’s grace that He will forgive you when you sin. Know He loves you very much! He is not watching for every chance He gets to condemn you. Worrying about it will make you depressed! God bless.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.