I don't know how I can obey Luke 14

I understand it doesn’t mean to literally hate your family but I don’t know how I can truly do it. I feel like any time I try to count the cost I fall into despair and bitterness and I don’t understand how to get past it. I wanted to ask for prayer that I can somehow overcome my attachment to this life without going crazy.

Our Father, Who art in heaven,
Hallowed be Thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy Will be done, on earth as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.

Amen.

put God above all others. There must be not obstacles between you and your obligations to God.

The word “hate” in some translations is not the best translation.

It would be closer to say “love less”.

Praying for your intentions. It is hyperbole to say to hate your family. It means to put God’s commands above even one’s own family or spouse even. So for instance if your own family disagrees with the Church’s teaching on chastity you would still put God’s ways above their ways and try to live according to the Church teaching. It doesn’t mean you are perfect yet, but only trying to be faithful to Christ’s teaching.

Matthew 10:37 New American Bible (Revised Edition) (NABRE)

The Conditions of Discipleship. 37 “Whoever loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me, and whoever loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me …"

Prayer Before Reading Scripture

Lord, inspire me to read your Scriptures and to meditate upon
them day and night. I beg you to give me real understanding
of what I read, that I in turn may put its precepts into practice.
Yet, I know that understanding and good intentions are worthless,
unless rooted in your graceful love. So I ask that the words
of Scripture may also be not just signs on a page, but channels
of grace into my heart. Amen. (Origen, 184-253 AD)

I take your prayer request with me to the rosary tonight. Alone I cannot be the disciple Christ asks me to be either. It takes the Holy Spirit in me and in the body of believers around me, to help me obey as he asks. Prayer connects us and strengthens us… May the peace of Christ dwell richly in your heart and life.

Hail Mary
Full of grace,
The Lord is with Thee.
Blessed art Thou amongst women,
and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb,
Jesus
Holy Mary
Mother of God,
Pray for us sinners,
Now and at the hour of death,
Amen

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb Jesus.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death.

Amen.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.