I don't know if I love God the Father

I love Jesus the Lord and Savior, I love the Holy Spirit my comforter, I love Mary who has led me to the relationship I have now with Jesus and The Holy Spirit…yet I have a big stumbling block that truly grieves me. I am unsure about how I feel about God the Father almighty creator of Heaven and Earth.

I see God as this scary force who is always ready to turn from me when I make a mistake and sin, I never feel worthy enough to pray to Him except when it is in the context of traditional prayers like the Lords prayer.

This morning after the rosary I began to cry(literally) asking God to show me what the barrier in my heart and mind is. I do not hate God, I know God sent Jesus out of his love for mankind yet other than that I feel like trash before Him. I read the old testament and God seems like a violent vengeful being who allowed the tree to even be in the Garden that got us to our sinful state.

I want to love God the Father so I can feel more at peace, instead of this fear that He will never listen to my prayers. Am I in sin for these feelings?

You can go to the Father through his Son.

Pray and hand over the matter to Jesus. Also it would help to ask Our Lady for help.

The Novena to the Holy Spirit is coming up. You might want to pray that too.

So other then The Lord’s Prayer, is it ok to just pray to Jesus and talk to Mary until this matter is resolved? Will God be mad at me if I don’t send prayers directly to Him at this time?

Jesus is God. The Holy Spirit is God. You are already praying to God. You already have a relationship with God. There are three persons in the Trinity, but only one God-- the same God you see as savior and comforter

Amen

In Christ

Darren

It is right that you should fear God the Father; yet he is a loving Father who sent his Son to redeem/save you. He wants you to be with him. Many RCs (like you ) can never pray to God the father directly but ask for the intercession of Mary, the Saints or his Son, Jesus.
Stay where you are comfortable for the moment. It may be many many years before you feel confident to speak directly to the Creator.

Remember Kings 19:12
After the earthquake a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire; and after the fire a sound of a gentle breeze. When Elijah heard it, he wrapped his face in his mantle and went out and stood in the entrance of the cave. And behold, a voice came to him and said, “What are you doing here, Elijah?”…

If they’re one and the same and the different persons in it are “indistinct”, then why did Jesus keep referring to his father, his father’s will? The father seems to be the leader, Jesus his obedient son, and the Holy Ghost is like the love that flows from Jesus to the Father. He’s more like a concept, an idea, a representation. The trinity is like a family, the wife (Holy Spirit) is not the son (Jesus), the son is not Abba etc. “No one comes to the Father but through me”. Explain that away. They form a unit, they live symbiotically, in unity, but each has his own personality. Get your theology right.

Jesus IS God, remember?:wink:

I guess the Our Father can be changed according to your whims. Our Holy Spirit, who are in Heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come etc. Do you realize how silly pretending all three persons in the Trinity are the same, fulfill the same role is? The Holy Spirit is the comforter, Mary became pregnant by the operation of the Holy Spirit, not by the Father’s, mercy seems to be Jesus’ as the writings of Faustina indicate. Jesus is the Word, the Father is not the word. The trinity is not an indistinct merge of three persons as you seem to think. I may like you, your child, but not your husband. Likewise, I may think Jessu and the Holy Spirit rock and that the Father leaves to de desired. .You are a family, but made up of different members with different personalities.

It is a great thing that you are seeking Him. I am very devoted to Him. I find Him to be very approachable and a lot of fun. Read the book God The Father Speaks to His Children, downloadable and free on-line.

OP , you have gotten a good set of answers.

I for one know that the Divinity is far more appealing to me because of the Incarnation, because He has arms that can hold me!

So you are not alone.

Blessed Holy Week and ICXC NIKA

Thank you, jaimeleglise! I started reading ‘God The Father Speaks To His Children’.
I wanted to stop and thank you for the ‘heads up’ about it.
I’m going to go back and keep reading.

Lotus_in_ bloom, I will pray for you, and all of us, to be more at ease when talking to our Father.

That is not an argument I made.

I have no need to explain anything away, because you have misunderstood my post. You are arguing against something I did not assert.

My theology is right. Jesus is God. The Holy Spirit is God. There are three persons in the Trinity but only one God.

Please show me the error in anything written above.

My post is crystal clear. Jesus is not the Father, the Spirit is not Jesus. I repeat: the trinity is like a family, I may like you and your character, love your child, but not hit it off with your hubby. Saying he’s part of the family is unhelpful. When I pray Our Father, I’m not talking to Jesus, when I say “Oh my Jesus, forgive us our trespasses, lead all souls…”, I’m praying to Jesus, when I say “Holy Spirt, comfort me, inebriate me”, I’m obviously not talking to the father, nor to the son, nor to your aunt Lucy. Beyond that, I can’t help you. Pretty sure the OP already knew the Holy Spirit is God and that Jesus is God and that Mary, although blessed among women, is not God. If God was not triune, then your theology would work. There is a reason the Son became incarnate and dwelled among us, and not the father. They’re very different one from the other, and so affinity with one does not guarantee affinity with the other two.

OP - sorry that things seem to have derailed a bit. I can relate to what you are saying. What I find helpful is to simply pray to God the Father to help me to know Him. I figure, I can’t love someone unless I know them first…

Sometimes my answer is a sense of peace, sometimes a verse of scripture reveals something that I had never previously understood, sometimes someone says something that is meaningful, either way my prayer is always answered.

Best wishes and prayers for you! :slight_smile:

You are most welcome. Oldburkes. Enjoy. God bless you. If you have any ideas on how I can feel closer to The Holy Spirit, let me know. Thanks.

Thanks for saying that. (About the Holy Spirit, I mean) I would also like to know ways to feel closer to Him.

Will do. :slight_smile:

It’s clear, but it’s mistaken.

I never said they were.

This is not an accurate analogy. When it comes to God, there is one God not three gods.

Because God is triune it is important to realize they are are one God. When the OP speaks of the God of the “old testament” being scary, it is important for the OP to realize God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit are co-eternal and co-operational at all points in our salvation history.

I never said otherwise.

Thank you oldburkes and grasscutter. May God bless you both abundantly.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.