I don't know what to do!

So the other day I was listening to this band that is not exactly Christian, not exactly satanic. Somewhere in the middle, leaning more toward satanic, I think. After the singer sang,"…'Cause I’m going straight to Hell," I got kinda scared and asked God whether I would go to Hell too because I listen to this type of music. And then the singer sang,"…and I’m taking you down with me". I was like :eek:. Now I’m scared. Should I stop listening to that one band, or the entire genre? The band was Falling in Reverse and the song was “Sink or Swim”. :confused:

The genre is rock, specifically post- hardcore.

I made a mistake. The song is called "I'm Not a Vampire," not "Sink or Swim". Sorry:blush:

You now know to avoid it and similar music.
Don’t allow yourself to be upset and confused.
Talk to the Lord and assure Him that You love Him and want to live and act as He wishes in His goodness. If you say the Lord’s Prayer you are confirming your choice of God in the words that Jesus taught us.

Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy Kingdom come.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive them that trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.

Amen.

Follow your questions.

Thank you! I guess I'll go listen to Mozart now :p

what “not exactly satanic” do you see about this message? now you know the agenda of the band and those who write such music, your choice what you put in your head

I don’t think it is necessary to ditch an entire genre because of that one song. But it certainly seems to have disrupted your peace. That seems to me an indication that you probably want to avoid that song (and possibly that artist).

Of course, I also know that sometimes quotes from songs ripped out of context can appear to mean something they do not. On its face, that quote is certainly quite bad! But say the song was about the dangers of drug addiction and the artist was using those words as the drugs “talking” to the protagonist about the damage they were trying to do to his/her life. That would change the meaning entirely.

Now, I have no idea what the song is really about as I am unfamiliar with the artist. I’m just speculating. Just giving some food for thought. Song lyrics out of context can be very deceiving.

I don't think listening to a certain genera of music is going to send you to hell. However, if this type of music starts to make you sin, make you question your morals, convince you not to attend Church etc... Then yes it can contribute to endagering your soul. But just because you listen to something doesn't mean that it is sinful and will drag you down with it. IF that were the case then you would have to cover your ears for about 90% of all conversations. It is what you do with the graces that God gives you that helps him determine your fate. Just be responsive to God and you will be fine.

For instance, I like listening to Marylin Manson, but I am not going to go out and be all freaky like him. I am not going to stop being Catholic on account of him. He is just entertainment.

Well firstly it’s not something you should panic or worry about. You most assuredly will not be going to hell for listening to a song. Any song.

The author/composer might not have been using appropriate language (I’m not sure of the context).

Many modern rock singers use language which Christians regard as offensive or wrong - this may be also in this case but they often do not know what they are saying as they might not even believe in the notion of hell. It is just a colloqualism to them.

It is not a sin of any kind for you especially not a mortal one - which requires 3 conditions to be met before it can be considered such.

In any event it is best not to listen to such music if it upsets you. Listening to the singer say he will take you down to hell has no power whatsoever to do so. Try different music.

I wouldn’t put too much stock into the words. A lot of bands use words like this because they think it’s cool to sound rebellious. I doubt any of them give any more thought to what the words ACTUALLY mean.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.