I don't really enjoy music without lyrics, but I find almost all lyrics objectionable

I'm at the point where I'm considering giving up music altogether. :shrug:

While I consider myself fairly eclectic, I tend to gravitate towards musical styles that are pretty vocal-heavy (esp. 50s-early 70s pop and rock music). As my faith (and OCD, unfortunately) has grown, I've begun to notice more and more objectionable content in said music, to the point where any not-explicitly-religious song gets turned off within 30 seconds or so. I also consider myself fairly susceptible to messages in lyrics, so I suppose this is somewhat of a good thing. Pretty much any song mentioning love or romance is guaranteed to be objectionable in my eyes and I've found objectionable lyrics in older music too (as far back as the 40s). Finally, I've tried listening to music without any lyrics at all such as classical and jazz, but I find that I hardly enjoy any of that sort of thing.

What am I to do in this situation?

[quote="JChapel, post:1, topic:249140"]
I'm at the point where I'm considering giving up music altogether. :shrug:

While I consider myself fairly eclectic, I tend to gravitate towards musical styles that are pretty vocal-heavy (esp. 50s-early 70s pop and rock music). As my faith (and OCD, unfortunately) has grown, I've begun to notice more and more objectionable content in said music, to the point where any not-explicitly-religious song gets turned off within 30 seconds or so. I also consider myself fairly susceptible to messages in lyrics, so I suppose this is somewhat of a good thing. Pretty much any song mentioning love or romance is guaranteed to be objectionable in my eyes and I've found objectionable lyrics in older music too (as far back as the 40s). Finally, I've tried listening to music without any lyrics at all such as classical and jazz, but I find that I hardly enjoy any of that sort of thing.

What am I to do in this situation?

[/quote]

Rather than dwelling on what is bad in songs, dwell on what is good.

There is much good in many songs. Don't let one or two objectionable lyrics poison your soul against inspiring, beautiful, and romantic songs.

This advice is good for many life situations and if followed, will help you to be full of joy in all circumstances, even the most horrible. My mother suffered from severe, crippling, deforming rheumatoid arthritis, and she was completely invalid, unable to move without help. When she did move, it was painful, but it was painful for her to lie still, too.

Yet she was the most content and joyful woman. She chose not to dwell on her pain and limitations and deformities, but instead, on all the good things around her. Everyone who came in contact with her said that she helped them more than they helped her.

I try to be like her. E.g., I could fixate on my husband's few unpleasant character traits, but I choose not to. Instead, I choose to dwell on his many good traits--I'm the luckiest woman in the world to have such a wonderful husband!

So try to seek out and cling to the good in songs. There are some songs that are ALL bad and we should not listen to them. But most songs have some good in them--find it and enjoy it.

Hi JChapel

I have a group called God in pop music on this website, where there are examples of some songs and pop groups (eg U2) who have tremendous lyrics you might like to listen to.

There’s plenty of classical music with lyrics. And the lyrics usually aren’t in English, so unless you happen to know the language they’re singing in or you read the translation, you wouldn’t be able to object to the lyrics anyway. :smiley:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.