I don't think I can take anymore of this

I am so overwhelmed by my brother right now I don’t know what to do. It’s not effecting my faith anymore because at this point at I have such an intense hate for protestantism. But any way my brother handed me two brochures both by an athor that goes by the name of James G. McCarthy, the contents of which are extensively aided in scripture and extremely lengthy to go in and research and rebutt them all.One is “Roman Catholicism, What you need to know; a quick referennce guide” and “What Every Catholic Should Ask”. Are there any comprehensive rebuttals to these specificly online or otherwise or is anyone familar enough with them that I can ask of your help???

[quote=Valtiel] It’s not effecting my faith anymore because at this point at I have such an intense hate for protestantism.
[/quote]

I am sorry for what you are going through with your brother…but your above statement really jumped out at me.

I assume you are just speaking out of frustration, but please take a moment to really reflect and try to let go of the hate. Hate is not from God.

Malia

Need scripture?

How about! www.scripturecatholic.com :thumbsup:

[quote=Feanaro’s Wife]I am sorry for what you are going through with your brother…but your above statement really jumped out at me.

I assume you are just speaking out of frustration, but please take a moment to really reflect and try to let go of the hate. Hate is not from God.

Malia
[/quote]

Yes I am speaking out of frustration, I’m tired of him always shoving this stuff down my throat I mean for evey catholic answer from catholic answers I give him, he has a verse to combat it and I’m almost completely weak in explaining and comparing verse. I’m just so tired of being so powerless and unable to stop him from beating me to death. I would just once like to get a cross a good point that finally opens his eyes a little, something I can beat him over…

OF COURSE there’s a rebuttal!

Check some out here and here, but surf around that site and you’ll find quite a bit more. And that’s from 20 seconds of google-searching!

God Bless,
RyanL

[quote=Valtiel]Yes I am speaking out of frustration, I’m tired of him always shoving this stuff down my throat I mean for evey catholic answer from catholic answers I give him, he has a verse to combat it and I’m almost completely weak in explaining and comparing verse. I’m just so tired of being so powerless and unable to stop him from beating me to death. I would just once like to get a cross a good point that finally opens his eyes a little, something I can beat him over…
[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I thought. It is especially difficult when this “attack” comes from family.

You probably don’t want to hear this, but maybe you should stop trying…even just for a little while.

This seems like a no win situation and it’s obviously affecting you greatly. He will not be open to a good cross point by you until the Holy Spirit works through him and opens his ears.

Maybe just take a step back and pray for him to open his heart and his mind and pray for yourself to be able to deal with him without getting so angry, frustrated, and beat down.

I will pray for you too (and would appreciate your prayers for me and my family as well).

Malia

[quote=RyanL]OF COURSE there’s a rebuttal!

Check some out here and here, but surf around that site and you’ll find quite a bit more. And that’s from 20 seconds of google-searching!

God Bless,
RyanL
[/quote]

Oh Bless you!!!
Thank you, I didn’t think to do that because most of the time I get nothing from search engines when searching for such vast topics.
Again thank you!!!

[quote=Valtiel]Yes I am speaking out of frustration, I’m tired of him always shoving this stuff down my throat I mean for evey catholic answer from catholic answers I give him, he has a verse to combat it and I’m almost completely weak in explaining and comparing verse. I’m just so tired of being so powerless and unable to stop him from beating me to death. I would just once like to get a cross a good point that finally opens his eyes a little, something I can beat him over…
[/quote]

You should tell him to come here :smiley: . We’ll have some fun with him.

Anyway, I say you listen to St. Paul:

Titus 3:10 A man that is a heretic, after the first and second admonition, avoid: 11 Knowing that he, that is such an one, is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned by his own judgment.

Now, you can’t avoid your brother, but you can avoid talking religion. Just pray for him. Sometimes we need to put our pride down and let the other guy have his last word. If not you’ll be going round and round forever.

My mom’s brother is a MS Lutheran pastor, and so all my cousins are MS Lutherans. The adults don’t debate so much, but we do. And we are all stubborn.

I remember when I was little, I got a Rosary for Christmas, and fought with one of my cousins over whether it was a Rosary or a necklace. I was right, but she won the argument.

Summer after 8th grade (two and a half-ish years ago), I got into my first real debate, and I realized that I had no idea about anything. It was embarrassing, but good, because I looked up all the stuff my Catholic school neglected.

So, if you are married and have kids, or when you get married and have kids if you do, make sure your kids know what they believe and why they believe it. And make them memorize bible verses, so they don’t look stupid.

The MS Lutherans have done a much better job with education.

Some good books:
Where is that in the Bible? by Patrick Madrid
Why is that in Tradition? by Patrick Madrid
Why do Catholics Genuflect? by Al Kresta

Also, check out what’s new with Peter Kreeft - he wrote Socrates Meets Jesus and The Unaborted Socrates. I know he has Socrates books out for Satre and Marx. I hope he writes a Socrates Meets Luther, or maybe he already has, but Kreeft is worth looking in to.

[quote=cardenio]Also, check out what’s new with Peter Kreeft - he wrote Socrates Meets Jesus and The Unaborted Socrates. I know he has Socrates books out for Satre and Marx. I hope he writes a Socrates Meets Luther, or maybe he already has, but Kreeft is worth looking in to.
[/quote]

That’s how I got my login name. :thumbsup:

[quote=Valtiel]I am so overwhelmed by my brother right now I don’t know what to do. It’s not effecting my faith anymore because at this point at I have such an intense hate for protestantism. But any way my brother handed me two brochures both by an athor that goes by the name of James G. McCarthy, the contents of which are extensively aided in scripture and extremely lengthy to go in and research and rebutt them all.One is “Roman Catholicism, What you need to know; a quick referennce guide” and “What Every Catholic Should Ask”. Are there any comprehensive rebuttals to these specificly online or otherwise or is anyone familar enough with them that I can ask of your help???
[/quote]

I have not read what you reference and I have not read these specific articles I am giving but I have read several articles from this site which are great. The article is more written toward “The Gospel According to Rome” of James G McCarthy. Maybe it will help though.

bringyou.to/apologetics/num39.htm

Mario Derksen also wrote a book against James G. McCarthy and it is online here.

cathinsight.com/apologetics/mccarthy/

I know what your going through; my entire family is protestant. I have also been given the McCarthy works. Most if not all of what he says is refuted on Catholic.com. Your in my prayers! :gopray2:

[quote=Socrates]That’s how I got my login name. :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Do you know if he wrote a Luther book?

[quote=Valtiel]I am so overwhelmed by my brother right now I don’t know what to do. It’s not effecting my faith anymore because at this point at I have such an intense hate for protestantism. But any way my brother handed me two brochures both by an athor that goes by the name of James G. McCarthy, the contents of which are extensively aided in scripture and extremely lengthy to go in and research and rebutt them all.One is “Roman Catholicism, What you need to know; a quick referennce guide” and “What Every Catholic Should Ask”. Are there any comprehensive rebuttals to these specificly online or otherwise or is anyone familar enough with them that I can ask of your help???
[/quote]

I read the one six or seven years ago I don’t recall the other one. I answered the text and showed the errors in the booklet. I agree with some of the others I would give him Pillar of Fire/ Pillar of Faith and one or two other pamphlets for the CA pack or a Catholic Convert tape from Scott, Jerry, or Jeff. Then wait. When he asks if you read his booklets ask hin if he has read or listened to what you gave him. If not tell him to get back to you when he has!

Hating your brother or hating protestants is bad, but there is nothing wrong about hating protestantism, it is heresy.

Why not read some of the conversion stories on the coming home network website, particularly Scott Hahn’s?
chnetwork.org/scotthconv.htm

You might want to ask your brother where the Bible teaches sola scriptura. See how Scott Hahn tried to deal with that question before you ask it to him.

Valtiel,
Good for you for defending the one true Faith even though it’s so hard. Your brother desperately needs a green scapular and/or a Miraculous Medal. Mary gave them to us and both have miraculously aided in many conversions to the Church with her prayers and the prayers of the giver. If you email me I’ll tell you how to get them (I would send some to you but I run out quickly!), or just Google “green scapular” and “Miraculous Medal”. I know a priest you can write who will send you some for free and bless them before sending them to you.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne

[quote=mamabear7]Valtiel,
Good for you for defending the one true Faith even though it’s so hard. Your brother desperately needs a green scapular and/or a Miraculous Medal. Mary gave them to us and both have miraculously aided in many conversions to the Church with her prayers and the prayers of the giver. If you email me I’ll tell you how to get them (I would send some to you but I run out quickly!), or just Google “green scapular” and “Miraculous Medal”. I know a priest you can write who will send you some for free and bless them before sending them to you.

my Mother my Confidence,
Corinne
[/quote]

Yes, excellent advice. Even if he won’t wear them, you can hide the green scapular in his room somewhere and pray the prayers for him! :thumbsup:

There was actually a Jewish man who wore the Miraculous Medal on a dare and he ended up converting :yup:

There is already a book available that refutes James McCarthy’s tired anti-Catholic arguments:

The Gospel According To James McCarthy
shop.catholic.com/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/online-store/scstore/p-B0502.html?L+scstore+brml3130ff010301+1154323991

[/quote]

Oh sorry. I know how it is.:confused: If it’s brochures you want, Our Sunday Visiter puts out some really neat ones. Specifically one called “10 questions Catholics are most often asked about”. It sets all these common misconceptions straight very succinctly.
Also the brochure “Pillar of Fire, Pillar of Truth” is great!!! Find it on the net. I think short brochures and phamplets are the best bet because Prots generally won’t want to read a big book.
Good Luck~ Also look for the show Search and Rescue with Pat Madrid on EWTN.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.