I don't want to go to heaven.. or hell

The thought of any afterlife doesn’t make me happy. Of course, I’d rather end up in heaven than in hell, but I’d mostly just want to “stop existing…(?)”. I don’t mean to sound “emo” , because my life is really pretty happy, albeit stressful. But happy :smiley:

I want to be a good person whether there is a God or not. But even if I could, I wouldn’t want to go to heaven… what to do?
sigh

you don’t want to be happy for ever?

Well, it might not ‘make you happy’, but that’s beside the point, isn’t it? :smiley: Heaven and hell don’t exist to make us ‘happy or unhappy’ as it were. They exist, period. Emotions or feelings on the matter don’t have any bearing on that existence. Despite your temporary (and I mean that as related to time, or ‘earthly’) feelings, you are going to face one or the other at the end of your life on earth. . . so the logical thing to do would be to start making plans now to ‘change your emotions’. (Yes, this can be done.) This doesn’t mean you have to act all fake or ‘force yourself’ into being ‘happy, happy’ here on earth. . .not at all. It means that you make the effort to stop using your subjective and temporary feelings as the criteria you’ll use to judge ‘extra-temporal’. . .that is, ever lasting, concepts. So, it’s time to start reading or re-reading the Catechism to educate yourself about the Catholic faith and your responsibilities as a Catholic so you’ll be able to have the tools you need to start thinking about the four last things --Death, Judgment, Heaven and Hell–from a properly educated mind and a rightly informed conscience, and NOT from vague ‘emos’ and general malaise and lack of understanding.

I want to be a good person whether there is a God or not.

Breathlessly, we all await your information on how you can be a good person in a world without God and therefore without right or wrong.

I wouldn’t want to go to heaven

God invented sex and laughter. Are you sure you are making a wise choice?

God bless, Annem

This is something I often feel, too.

People will tell me to think of the happiest moment of my life, and then times that by a million. That’s what Heaven is like.

It’s not that I don’t want happiness. I just don’t like the idea of eternity, regardless of how it is spent. Forever is a long time. It makes me very uneasy.

Sometimes I hope that the atheists are right. That things will just end.

That’s not his/her point. Bpies44 is saying that if there wasn’t a God, then they would still want to be a good person for the sake of being good.

] ]Sometimes I hope that the atheists are right. That things will just end.

Sinner1, Of course there are times everybody gets discouraged. But I am a little alarmed at your comment. You sound so bitter, so unhappy. Sorry, but is something wrong? Is there anything we can help you with?

Please let us know. Even if all we can do is pray, please let us do that. May God grant you miracles, Annem

No, but thanks.

ya hit on a reason my 15 year old gives for not wanting to go to Heaven…Eternity is a long LONG time. Even the things that are most enjoyable here on earth tend to loose there excitment after a while.

But because heaven and hell Do exist,better to prepare for heaven and all the GOOD things God has waiting for us, then the other option.:eek:

No, but thanks.

I’m glad nothing is wrong, but I’m saying a rosary for you just in case.

Hope it showers you with graces!! Annem

Forever is a long time, but eternity is not. It is outside of time.

This is what Peter Kreeft says in Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Heaven:Eternity is not the last point on the time line, nor is it a point off the line; it is the whole line . . .
We have two innate desires: to explore and to come home. Both desires can be fulfilled by eternity. . . We will feel simultaneously safe and adventurous, rooted and branching, very old and very young when we are one with that "Beauty ancient yet ever new."
In other words, there’s no way to be bored in heaven.

Because it works?
Even animal packs that live together don’t go slaughtering one another just for the heck off it, why? Because it’s easier to survive that way & be better off. Our ethics & morality evolve.

Even before the Bible was written people already figured out that “thou shall not kill” makes sense; & they “got the idea” not because a magical fairy told them.

Bible talks a lot about stoning people; I don’t see Christians going around doing any of that… anymore.

God invented sex and laughter. Are you sure you are making a wise choice?

Your point?
You do know that at least according to the Bible in the new Jerusalem after the 2nd coming people will be like angels + no marriage, which is largely interpreted as “no sex for you”.

you don’t want to be happy for ever?

No. Happyness sucks without the bad times to compare it too.

To the OP; what YOU WANT will have no effect on what will actually happen, but I understand what you mean.

PS: which denomination of Christianity believes that there is either heave or hell/nothingless/nonexistence & you don’t exist anymore? Wasn’t that Catholicism? I keep forgeting, so correct me if I’m wrong.

PS: which denomination of Christianity believes that there is either heave or hell/nothingless/nonexistence & you don’t exist anymore? Wasn’t that Catholicism? I keep forgeting, so correct me if I’m wrong.

A denomination of Christianity that believes there is 'either heaven or hell OR ‘nothingness/nonexistence’?

Well, first Catholicism isn’t a denomination. Second, Catholics emphatically do NOT believe the above. And I haven’t seen any examples of mainline Protestants who express this belief either! Strictly, after the Last Judgment, it’s heaven or hell. No ‘nothingness’ !

Have you been reading “religious tolerance”? Their scholarship is, ahem, not exactly orthodox. It is all their ‘opinion’ and they don’t bring forth any supporting evidence. Saying, "the gospel of John says non believers cease to exist’ without showing the passages AND the evidence that this was the accepted belief and practice for 2000 years is just an example of the sloppy ‘argument’ they use. Sigh.

I think I’ve been reading to much of Eastern Orthodox’s on conditional immortality.

PS: isn’t this idea of annihilism actually older than the ressurection, soul immortality doctrine stuff?

your alternative is eternal misery, self-hatred and contempt, the lack of anything whatever that brings you joy, complete separation from anything good pleasures you knew on earth, and the abscence of anything you define as “good”

you make the choice.

& you made that conclusion based on what?

It’s not THEIR choice of what will happen.

Furthermore, that is not the only alternative of an “after-life” as you described it.

The “hellfire and dalmations” angle never works, does it?

The first question I asked myself when I read your post is, “do you know how to have hope?”

Many people learn not to have too much hope. Do you generally try not to have high expectations so that you won’t be disappointed? Have you taught yourself not to aim too high or take your dreams too seriously, for fear of being unrealistic?

When you say that you don’t want to go to heaven, are you really saying that it doesn’t seem possible to you? Or possible to be so happy? That it seems so far away, that any effort you make would likely be wasted?

Hope is really important. If you are patient and have a little courage, you can learn that hope-- and heaven-- really are possible.

I completely understand what you are saying. I have thought the same thing many times.
I am sure heaven is wonderful beyond anything I could imagine. However, it seems so easy to go to hell no matter how well intended you may be.
Don’t get me wrong; I believe in the existence of heaven and hell but I would be fine with absolute extinction at the end of my life.

i can’t wait to meet the man that created the birds and the trees and my beautiful family. :slight_smile:

My answer…

forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?p=4593164#post4593164

Ironically Yours, Blade and Blood

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.