I Don't Want to Miss a Possible Vocation

Hello,

I am 16 years old and am possibly discerning a vocation to the priesthood. I have a book called "To Save a Thousand Souls" and a pamphlet entitled "Is Jesus Calling You to Be a Catholic Priest?" I have only perused these two but I am wavering in my head whether or not to read them.

I probably am not going to be a priest. I just want to discern the possibility and decide if God is calling me to be a priest because I would not want to ignore God's calling if that is so. I have been told many times by many different people that I would make a good priest and I am very, very religious.

Also, if anyone can recommend me to anyone that will send me by mail info about discernment, that would be wonderful. Or if you would be willing to send some reading material my way.

Do you have anyone I can talk to outside of my parish priest to assist in my possible discernment?

Also, I ask your prayers on my behalf as always.

Thank you so very much!

God bless!

Landon

Do you feel like God is willing you to be a priest?
Remember seminary is like dating and ordination is like the wedding.
The main goal is to find what God will make the best of you.

I could recommend "How to Listen When God is Talking to You" by Fr. Mitch Pacwa ,SJ

I'm a late-comer to Catholicism, but it seems to me that if it were a real vocation, missing it would be like missing a burning bush planted in the middle of your driveway.

You're fortunate that you're starting at 16.

First of all, you've got time - you're only 16. In order to be accepted into major seminary, you have to first have received a Bachelor's degree. Major Seminary is a graduate school, and you graduate with a Master's degree in theology (it's called a "Masters of Divinity). Depending on where you did your undergraduate studies, however, you might need up to two years of prerequisite studies before you start the actual Master's degree program.

What I would do if I were you is the same as my spiritual director told me - (1) pray about your vocation, (2) learn about different vocations, and (3) see if an urge to become a priest persists over time. Read about the priesthood, talk to your priest, go on retreats, etc. The thing is, it's very important to try to see if you are legitimately being called or if it is simply your own desire.

Your profile said you're Catholic in soul but not yet in sacrament. Are you in RCIA?

I'm not sure what advice I can give you, because I am just reading random posts right now and couldn't really say how to discern a vocation, because it is different from everyone. This is kind of random, but the quotes at the bottom of your post just popped out to me a lot and I wasn't expecting it.

"For my flesh is food indeed and my blood is drink indeed.
-John 6:55

'For me prayer is a surge of the heart, it is a simple look towards Heaven, it is a cry of recognition and of love, embracing both trial and joy.'
-St. Therese of Lisieux"

Especially the first one. God just spoke to me right now through that and it's really convicting me. Those words of John 6:55 cut straight through me and I was definitely not expecting it! Wow... This verse "popped" into my head earlier today too... This is pretty awesome. I love when this happens.

Ok I'm still reveling in this, but just thought you might be interested to know you're quotes are doing work! :thumbsup:

I pray for you that God will speak to you and give you the gift of wisdom and discernment in your life right now.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.