I dream of Jesus

And how this dream helps me with Generating Faith.

I just woke up at around 11:30 today on 2-15-2014, I remember being Jesus in my dream. I had the long brown hair and fairly trimmed beard with white robes and a white rope tied around my waist as a belt. In the dream I was walking around in this robe in today’s time, and was getting some weird looks, some people laughing, others running up making weird gestures while standing next to me while some other person snaps a photo. And then I’m walking along this path, seemed like something out of Alice in Wonderland, this little trail winding thru this lush green tropical paradise with these bridges overhead between these massive cliffs, It was getting close to night and the stars were out.

So I’m thinking OK I’m Jesus, how do I fly around, and I hear this voice, like the Almighty speak, like I’m watching a movie on Jesus and a narration voice that sounds like God speaking with a little music behind the voice. I know I’ve heard it somewhere before I just can’t place it right now, anyways the Almighty says, “And he commanded his angels to lift him up…”, I wonder if the verse exists, it has to, going to look it up.

OK, so I look for “And he commanded his angels to lift him up”, and I find
Psalm 91
Assurance of God’s Protection
91 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High,
who abides in the shadow of the Almighty,
will say to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress;
my God, in whom I trust.”
For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence;
he will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.
A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand;
but it will not come near you.
You will only look with your eyes
and see the recompense of the wicked.
Because you have made the Lord your refuge,[a]
the Most High your habitation,
no evil shall befall you,
no scourge come near your tent.
For he will give his angels charge of you
to guard you in all your ways.
On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you dash your foot against a stone.

You will tread on the lion and the adder,
the young lion and the serpent you will trample under foot.
Because he cleaves to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble,
I will rescue him and honor him.
With long life I will satisfy him,
and show him my salvation.

Ok so I highlighted the part that I believe it is emphasizing. I will look for a more exact verse again.

Matthew 4:6
Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (RSVCE)
6 and said to him, “If you are the Son of God, throw yourself down; for it is written,
‘He will give his angels charge of you,’
and
‘On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.’”

Part 1 of 2: Continued……

Part 2 of 2: Continued.

Maybe where I heard it from was in a different version of the Bible???
Yep, I found it, it says it in the NIV of Matthew 4:6, it uses the word, “Lift”.

Ok, that’s pretty much it, one from the OT and one from the NT, the NT of course referencing the OT.

Anyways, so I say “Archangel Michael and Archangel Gabriel, will you lift me up?” Then I feel my arms being lifted from their sides, and then the rest of my body floats up, and I fly down this pathway. I see this kid, and he’s like, “Cool, I wanna fly too”, to which I ask the angels and the kid flies off. Then I remember that I can command and not ask, and then I was in a garage, and there was this Muslim friend of mine negating Jesus and proclaiming Islam, I was going to show him my Miracle, but he had to leave, then I was in a room with many people it seemed like an Airport Lounge, and I see Michael J. Fox, and he looks real bad, I know that he has some sort of medical condition, and he’s looking at me like that demoniac that was possessed and asking Jesus for help, so I go to him and command that he gets better, to which he does, then he thanks me and pulls out this bag of marijuana and lights one up. He looks like he needs a shave, and he’s all ragged out, and I leave.

In the dream I saw this massive Church, to which I’ve seen before in other dreams. I don’t know where this Church is as I have looked on line for Magnificent Church Structures and have yet to find it in the past. Perhaps it is yet to come, or is the Heavenly Church that awaits us all.

Anyways, last night I was looking intensely for a picture of Jesus that I would like to concentrate on, as a meditation, like a Buddhist Thangka is used. I would use it to help me Generate Faith. In order for me to understand Faith I have to understand Doubt, Distraction, and Temptation. And the only way to accomplish this is by visualizing Christ for as long as I can without being distracted. I’ve done this before and it’s very hard, as minutes into it, there will always be something that thwarts my attention whether it be internal or external obstacles. And those obstacles are the doubts, the distractions, and the temptations, whether they be background noise or wondering thoughts away from Christ. But there are times when I can see Jesus picture-perfect behind closed eyelids with no distraction but it is short-lived as random thoughts pierce my mind, so I start over and it takes time to achieve that level of concentration. When I am in the absence of Doubts, I can identify the Unwavering Faith, it is hard to hold onto. It is not something easily attainable, it has to be experienced, it’s like when the absence of doubt is achieved then and only can Faith be generated. I can understand why Peter sank when he went to walk with Jesus on the Sea.

Matthew 14:28 And Peter answered him, “Lord, if it is you, bid me come to you on the water.” 29 He said, “Come.” So Peter got out of the boat and walked on the water and came to Jesus;30 but when he saw the wind,** he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, “Lord, save me.” 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and caught him, saying to him, **“O man of little faith, why did you doubt?” **

This is what I believe the Saints had done, and only when their faith was fully engaged could they accomplish the Faith as small as a mustard seed that achieved the impossible, as in either a Miracle or Divine Visits.
So by following their example, I too hope to achieve their level of success.

That’s why I believe I had this dream about Jesus. Amongst my friends and Parish I always say, “Become the Christ you wish to see”(maybe that’s similar to the WWJD saying), and in a way thru a small practice of visualization that I did last night while laying down and also before by searching for Christ Pics, I had set up for myself to self-generate myself into Christ in my dreams.

Doubts, Distractions, Temptations, Fear, Anger, these are all obstacles to Faith. And people do these all the time, even in Church. So when I use the word Faith this is what I’m talking about, everything else that people use with the word Faith is actually Belief or Believing. As in “Works of Faith” can be twofold, as literally as a Miracle, or figuratively as doing Good Deeds.

I distinguish between the two, Faith and Belief.
I cannot do otherwise.

I hate the Circular Logic of:
What is Faith?
Faith is Believing.

What is Believing?
Having Faith.

It does not answer the question.**

I’ve had dreams in the past, where I was with Jesus.
This one time as this apartment complex I used to live at in 2002.
It had a public pool that was centered in the middle of the apartment complex area. Anyways, in the dream, I’m standing on one side of the pool and from behind a man walks by me on the left side and walks right out onto the surface of the pool. I’m in disbelief, I look closer, I see this long-haired hippie man with a white robe and red kashya that goes over his left shoulder and comes down and around to the right, and I conclude that it is Jesus.

He turns to his right, looks me straight in the eyes and motions with his head for me to follow him. I felt like Peter. As soon as I stepped on the surface of the water, I felt the Holy Spirit rise within me, as if it had replaced my Soul and filled me. Jesus walks to the other side of the Pool, gets out and watches me, I’m so concentrated on him, then about half-way across I look at all the by-standers with their mouths dropped open in disbelief, and I begin to start thinking, “OMG!!! THis is Impossible!!! I can’t believe I’m doing this!!!”

Right when I started saying that, but before that, when the impression of that hit me and I had thought it, I felt myself beginning to sink. I felt the Holy Spirit leaving me, the area where the Holy Spirit was leaving was in relation to the level of where I was sinking which was at my Waist, that’s when Jesus says to me, “Have Faith”. To which I stopped all doubts, Closed my eyes, and felt the force that was the Holy Spirit begin to rise again within me, it got to my eyes level, but i couldn’t get it to go all the way up to the top of my head as before and so my ankles and feet were still submerged, but the rest of my body was above the water. Jesus held out his hand, and I just stepped out of the pool. Then I woke up.

I believe Jesus is teaching me thru my Dreams.

OK-i should cushion the blow of what my fellow catholics might say/ but I am not for sure of your specific invitation-for me- to join this thread, wether it be question/ or compare -contrast/ verses the reader’s first impressions? at any rate, i’ll let you down easy (be advise i believe not all your techniques show a hidden grief, yet on first impression-there is an unresolved issue with desath in general)…i think my fellow catholics-even contemplatives would say go check with a spiritual adviser…on this…yet spiritual advisers might be difficult to know in the short term…well that leaves this media and opinions of post for you to read; however,

well think of those little old ladies in church-who pray the rosary-they might read your prayer journal style post here…and give very good opinions; i bet you! that i know what they would say…

well, in pretext (see quotes marks) does the prayer experience begin and end peaceful?
i notice psalm 91 is near identical to the monastic office of the ‘hours’ , public prayer, called compline/ check it out on you tube, these are the monks of gethsemani, OSO…

youtube.com/watch?v=B4bRsXcaKKY

consider: after listening to the video-listen
in the unison of the monk’s voices-there is a peace, your soul’s response? the answer is important…the monks are asking for a good nights rest and a peaceful death…so if you don’t mind me guessing what those little old ladies ’ opinions might be, God love them-they might respond to your post, implying from start to finish," Prayer or dreams are not a stage to watch oneself-instead per your soul’s yearnings–esoteric is our end-sinners die-where is your peace?-are you learning to know a complete-and total forgiveness from God"…"

so to that end, as template…they might advise-“do not risk to fly where God’s angels dwell.” hence “If you choose, the risk to your soul-is a lost-ness, developing by practice-it is not shoulder to shoulder with the monk’s of Gethsemani-it is a-lone-ness-and you will go insane…” the little old lady in church may sum up:" ‘I’ could not live, nor take a breath of life, nor hope-without God’s forgiveness…(of the world)"

well i think that is how they would persuade you…I end-God luvs ya brother-

As David has indicated, there is need for discernment regarding religious/dream experiences, and there is potential danger in not submitting those to your priest.

Amazon I do know that God can speak through dreams, but I also cannot assess whatever is or is not happening in your life in your soul, or in your dreams. None of us can, only God.

I don’t propose one way or other as God deals with each soul as He chooses.

However I will put forward some objective thoughts that I am not stating refer to your situation even partially:
“Have nothing to do with the pointless philosophical discussions and antagonistic beliefs of the ‘knowledge’ which is not knowledge at all; by adopting this, some have gone right away from the faith. Grace be with you.” [1 Timothy 6 20-21] “The time is sure to come when, far from being content with sound teaching, people will be avid for the latest novelty and collect themselves a whole series of teachers according to their own tastes; and instead of listening to the truth, they will turn to myths.” [2 Timothy 3:3-5]

All the dream, creative or religious experiences, genuine or otherwise, that we may have in our lives are only meaningful if they bring us to obey God more deeply and faithfully, and deepen our practical kindness to others.

God will not judge our souls by our understanding f faith, but by our living out of that faith in practical reality. What matters is how you treat the people in your life, your family, the community in which you live, as you live a sacramental life with God at its heart.

Jesus makes this abundantly clear when He describes the judgement of our souls. He show the basic requirement of our lives, by which we choose our eternal destinies:

Matthew 25:31–46

31 “When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on the throne of his glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats, 33 and he will put the sheep at his right hand and the goats at the left.

34 Then the king will say to those at his right hand, ‘Come, you that are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world; 35 for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry and gave you food, or thirsty and gave you something to drink? 38 And when was it that we saw you a stranger and welcomed you, or naked and gave you clothing? 39 And when was it that we saw you sick or in prison and visited you?’ 40 And the king will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family,g you did it to me.’ 41

Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, 43 I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ 44 Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ 45 Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ 46 And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

May God guide and protect you.

Amazon.
Thanks, first of all for sharing what must have been
a heavenly rush with us!
Many people have longed for, fantasized about “super-
spiritual, out-of body” exhilarating visions and dreams!
What is to come of these?
DON’T seek the “experience” as much as the GIVER
of them, namely GOD, who lets Himself be found by
those who earnestly seek Him!(James 4)

What are people’s thoughts on my definition of Faith and how I do it? I mean most Christians have many different kinds of Faith,

1. Faith as Belief,
  2. Faith as one’s Religion,
  3. Faith as an Act, ex: “Acts of Faith” (good deeds),
  4. Miracle Faith.
    A 5th type of Faith has come to my attention:
    Study Faith, whatever that means, as is used in the Year of Faith:
    archgh.org/yearoffaith/
    which according to my list would probably fall under #2, studying one’s religion, but they wish to call it something different. More division of Faith.

I compared it with how Monastics of Old, specifically Saints and how they did it.
Same method, I just gave a little understanding as to how to accomplish it from how I interpreted it.

I mean I played (a long time ago) “Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas” for 6 hours straight, and that night I had a dream that I was CJ, and I had started a war with the cops, and towards the end of that fun dream, they cornered me and shot me in the head. I woke up with this weird feeling in my head, like a Ghost Bullet was still in there, like when people get a limb removed it still feels likes it’s there, I think they call it the Phantom Limb Effect.

Matthew 18:18
Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.

I believe what Jesus says here can also be applied towards dreams as well. I base this upon my own experiences.

But if anything, does what I have said disagree with the Catholic Church?

Yeah! Exactly.

Like Samuel, I too listen for God, and I believe I have heard my name called, but due to Obstacles of Faith, for that time I lost it. But there’s always another chance to hear him.

I look at Samuel, much like I do the Saints, back then they never had as much distraction as we do now-a-days. They lived when there was no electricity, less people, everything was simpler and less crowded. I have to resort to using a blindfold and earplugs to escape those obstacles to Faith Development.

How to treat dreams…lots of different feelings about that one.

In the bible we do have dreams that were important. The Maji were warned to take a different route to return home so Herod wouldn’t find out where the child Jesus was. Then there was St. Joseph who was told in a dream to accept Mary as his wife. And so on. And in the old testiment, the famous story of Joseph in Egypt and his ability to interpret dreams of the pharoah.

However those dreams were important on a grand scale to bring about the will of God in salvation history for mankind.

But then on the other hand we have dreams which are private and non biblical. And we know that the church never makes it a practise to tell us that we need to give credence to private visions or dreams. And more so for those which have not been properly tested by the church to be true.

We also know that it is difficult for us as individuals to seperate the good from the bad inspirations on a private level even with the aid of a good counsuler.

St. John of the Cross advises in his work to ignore all private visions, and I suppose that would hold for private dreams as well since dreams are broadly in the category of visions. And the reason he gives is that it is too difficult to determine the source, and what they mean. And since we can live without them, his advise is to live only by what our faith tells us to believe and do, and these other things, whether true or false, are not worth the concern and chance of being wrong.

And in my own case, it is difficult to know if my dreams are not nightmares, and whether they are due to the onions I ate the night before.

Your dream was quite interesting tho. I wish I had interesting ones, mine are always so boring.

May God our Father give you grace and peace.

Amazon,

For me your writing is overwhelming. I don’t get much of what you are trying to say or ask. Others who have posted may have understood better and replied more fully. I am a pretty down to earth person. I can only answer by saying that the Bible states what faith is plainly and, just my opinion, you can complicate your understanding of it by overthinking.

To answer the question of how I my faith developed, there are many factors, all coming down to walking with God. My faith in Christianity feels inborn to me. For me, it is as easy as breathing. But, the staying power of it happened because of trials I have gone through and come out of. It is like the poem Footprints.

I don’t do things like meditate, stare at pictures, or interpret dreams. But that is just me, I guess. That would feel to me like I was playing a game. I do feel close to God when walking in unspoiled nature or when interacting with a child.

I used to have vivid dreams that I was back in biblical times and I was a disciple. Once I dreamed that I was in a sort of jail and other disciples came to help me out. That was during a time when I was reading the Bible more often and listening to preachers on television. I didn’t need to interpret the dreams, they were to me just what I was thinking about as I was feeling closer to God.

I think if you really want to see Jesus, volunteering at a homeless shelter or maybe a hospital is where you can easily encounter him.

Often god will give a dream that has a bible verse and chapter that he wants you to read.

God is telling you something.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.