I fail at lent

I got about 2 hours of sleep last night cause the toddler is sick and my DH had to leave early today. So far DS has boycotted napping too. anyways I totally forgot it was Friday and had chicken soup for lunch. I didn't even realize it until I called my sister and we were chatting about supper plans and I explained we were having fish sticks because it's Friday.... d'oh!
Do I need to confess this? :blush:

No...of course not. You were honestly tired and simply forgot...you did not intentionally break the abstinence requirement...during a conversation, you realized that is was in fact Friday and your menu for dinner reflects that...you have done no wrong...we all make mistakes. Rejoice and be thankful you realized it sooner than later and reflect on God's Divine Mercy. God Bless

[quote="tapiocapudding, post:1, topic:187603"]
I got about 2 hours of sleep last night cause the toddler is sick and my DH had to leave early today. So far DS has boycotted napping too. anyways I totally forgot it was Friday and had chicken soup for lunch. I didn't even realize it until I called my sister and we were chatting about supper plans and I explained we were having fish sticks because it's Friday.... d'oh!

[/quote]

[/quote]

I think you just did. ;)

Eh... it's not the end of the world... the chicken soup was probably more beneficial than the fasting would have been, considering your situation...

Prayers for you to get some rest, for your little guy to feel better (I sympathize, my little one's got a nasty cold :( ), and for your mommy-brain to grab the fish sticks from the freezer rather than the chicken nuggets. ;)

:D :D :D

You poor girl, you must have been totally frazzled.

No, you don't need to confess it, as you can't commit a mortal sin by accident. You didn't intend to overlook it.

I wish this was painted in letters of gold over every church door and Catholic home: 'You can't commit a mortal sin without intending to'.

God is our Loving Father and understands when we are forgetful because we are tired or stressed. He makes allowances for us, just like you make allowances for your little ones when they are lacking sleep or are feeling poorly. If they lash out at a brother or sister, don't you say to the wronged party ' There, there, he didn't really mean it'.?

God is infinitely more understanding than the kindest parent.

but tapioca, you’re pregnant and not bound to Friday abstinence anyway.

Those who are excused from fast or abstinence Besides those outside the age limits, those of unsound mind, the sick, the frail, pregnant or nursing women according to need for meat or nourishment, manual laborers according to need, guests at a meal who cannot excuse themselves without giving great offense or causing enmity and other situations of moral or physical impossibility to observe the penitential discipline.

You’re golden:thumbsup:

You are pregnant and your DS is very young so you don't have to fast.

Also... don't you find it hard to follow lent and the friday no meat rules? I have converted a long time ago now, but because I didn't grow up in a Catholic home, and my DH isn't Catholic, I find it hard to get into the routine of fasting ( when not pregnant ).

My friend,

:) I am so happy to see someone so concerned about lent and what it stands for. God truly loves you so much.

We have to remember that the objective of lent is to grow closer to God, not focus on our failings. You most certainly did not commit a sin and are perfectly fine.

Keep up the awesome work and may God Bless you.

-Matt

[/quote]

I did nearly exactly the same thing, and honestly my policy can be best described in terms my fiance's RCIA sposor used "when it doubt, get it out". The church teaches we must avoid meat friday's, ignoring this church teaching is grave matter, doing so knowingly and willingly would bump it up to mortal sin..

Now you didn't do that last part, but I'm sure what we both did, is still a sin. Best to confess, and take steps to make sure it doesn't happen again. I have a reminder set for 8am every friday morning durring lent in my PPC phone.

Edit
Never mind, I didn't notice you were pregnant... Those rules don't apply to you.

I always did find it very hard. I’m not even a huge meat-eater, but for some reason on Fridays I’d get the crazy unstoppable idea that I wanted to go get a hamburger, or maybe make a meatloaf for dinner lol. Seems like I’d only get these strong meat-cravings on Fridays.

haha (ok maybe I shouldn't be laughing), but I am usually halfway through a rib or something before I realize it is friday. For the last three lenten seasons, I have been either pregnant or nursing, so I haven't been seriously following the no meat on friday's and fasting, but yeah... it is hard to remember when you aren't used to growing up with it and doing it. It is sort of a wake up call for me to take things more seriously and pay more attention.

I have a Catholic friend who just doesn't eat meat during ALL friday's of the year, even when she is pregnant ( which seems to be all the time ). They just do that as a family. I might try that since it puts me in a good routine.

I did notice that all the Mcdonalds and other fast food specials have their fish filet deals on fridays. That helps............ a teeeeeeny tiny bit.

Hey, it’s hard to remember even for us cradle Caths, especially someone like me who has to make a concerted effort to know the day of the week or even month of the year…I’m just a real ditz when it comes to days and dates. :shrug:

If you get those Catholic calendars from Church that they have out to take home, and put it on the FRIDGE, and circle all the Fridays, it helps. But even then I’ve goofed:blush::o

I think it helps too if you have something in mind to offer up your hunger or longing for meat for. I’ve never done it before, but this year since my mom just passed away, I’m making a concerted effort to think of her and offer up my minor suffering from hunger for her soul. It makes it a lot harder to whine when I think of it that way.

[quote="shannyk, post:11, topic:187603"]

I've never done it before, but this year since my mom just passed away, I'm making a concerted effort to think of her and offer up my minor suffering from hunger for her soul. It makes it a lot harder to whine when I think of it that way.

[/quote]

Wow! Thanks for sharing that thought.. Great idea!:thumbsup:

[quote="Sina, post:10, topic:187603"]
haha (ok maybe I shouldn't be laughing), but I am usually halfway through a rib or something before I realize it is friday. For the last three lenten seasons, I have been either pregnant or nursing, so I haven't been seriously following the no meat on friday's and fasting, but yeah... it is hard to remember when you aren't used to growing up with it and doing it. It is sort of a wake up call for me to take things more seriously and pay more attention.

I have a Catholic friend who just doesn't eat meat during ALL friday's of the year, even when she is pregnant ( which seems to be all the time ). They just do that as a family. I might try that since it puts me in a good routine.

I did notice that all the Mcdonalds and other fast food specials have their fish filet deals on fridays. That helps............ a teeeeeeny tiny bit.

[/quote]

yeah it's definitely hard to remember! I messed up once last year too (but at least it wasn't the very first lenten friday :p)
I thought fasting doesn't apply to us but didn't know abstinence from meat doesn't either. I'm okay to get by without meat on Fridays though, I can get adequate protein in other ways.

That’s the devil tempting you, me thinks. :wink: I remember back when I worked in the restaurant biz, back in the kitchen making food to be exact…it was ALWAYS on Fridays during Lent that the roast beef sandwiches were looking exceptionally delicious! Other days of the week? I hardly could stand the desire to eat food from my own job but on Lenten Fridays, every type of meat looked good. :rolleyes:**

My local Papa Johns had a deal for a 7 topping large pizza for 10 bucks. I order a cheese pizza but before I do my dad tells me he wants sausage, pepperoni, bacon on the pizza. He was disappointed when I reminded him it was Friday in Lent :D. He was really looking forward to 7 meat toppings.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.