I feel a little competition

Hi everyone,

So, it's been about 3 years since I've had a genuine calling to the priesthood. Those who answered some of my questions on this forum a while ago may remember.

Anyway, I decided that if I were enter the priesthood, I would prefer it be with the Dominican Order. I start my senior year in college late this August, so I have at the very least one school year left.

Now, here's my problem, and I'm really ashamed of it. Every time I study history or theology (I'm getting my BA in history; I'm a medievalist by heart), and study the origins of the Dominican Order, I can't help but feel competition towards the Franciscan Order. They more or less have the same reasons for developing - the Albigensian heresy in 12th century France. And, at least initially, the Franciscan Order had more success, especially with regards to canon law. The two orders were great rivals in many other things too, such as in the University of Paris.

I'm not saying I despise the Franciscans, by any means. I want to emphasize that. But I can't help but feel like I should compete in favor of my Dominicans against the Franciscans. Think of it as my Yankees against the Red Sox. Simple competition.

However, I think this is still silly...and I feel I'm rambling on right now. :o

Scott

EDIT: This feeling of competition doesn't really apply to the Jesuits, however. I think it's because the Franciscans and Dominicans had such intimate relations for such a longer period of time.

From what I once read somewhere, St. Francis and St. Dominic were able to meet in person and were on quite respectful, friendly terms with each other.

As for me, I think I tend more towards the Carthusians ...
:)

The way I see it all the orders were inspired by the Holy Spirit and have something to offer to the Body of Christ, the Church.

Also, the Lord made us with differing gifts and personalities, and that is what attracts us to one order and not another.

So, be at perfect peace where you believe the Lord has called you, and be the best Dominican you can be!

It sounds to me like a simple preference for the Dominicans. Like you would do anything you could to be accepted by the Dominicans but not so much for the Franciscans.

[quote="The_Scott, post:1, topic:251089"]
However, I think this is still silly...and I feel I'm rambling on right now. :o

[/quote]

You're probably right (about the silly part), but that doesn't necessarily mean that it's problematic.

[quote="the_phoenix, post:2, topic:251089"]

As for me, I think I tend more towards the Carthusians ...
:)

[/quote]

I do too!

And for me it was the Servites, hands down, never a serious question, more of a 'leading' by the Holy Spirit and my desire to serve Our Blessed Mother.:) It all just came together after that.
Blessings to you in your vocation.
MaryTeresa, OSSM

There's a long tradition of this kind of 'Yankees-Red Sox rivalry' between the OP and OFM--but as befits two holy Catholic orders, an equally long tradition of deliberate action, to ensure that no one loses sight of gospel charity: in Franciscan convents, a Dominican is always invited to preach on the feast of St Francis, and similarly it is always a Franciscan who is invited to preach on the feast of St Dominic!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.