I feel called to multiple things. is this possible?

1) religious order
2) priesthood
3) taking care of the autistic.

I think that a Benedictine priest could also take care of the autistic but am not sure. Also there might be some other order that I'm not thinking of or don't know about. Any suggestions?

I am having the same type of problem! I feel called to a religious order
and the priesthood at the same time.

Most religious orders allow their monks/friars to become priests; this really isn't much of an issue. Now, as for finding an order with the charism to care specifically for autistics, that would be kind off hard, but i do know that the Franciscans tend to specialize in the care of others, and you may want to look into various orders with missionary charisms.

I also doubt you'd find Benedictines that run hospice type centers because they are a Contemplative Monastic Order and their apostolate, for those that have them, tends to be in running colleges and seminaries; but their main work is to pray in community.

[quote="RaymondJensen, post:1, topic:220889"]
1) religious order
2) priesthood
3) taking care of the autistic.

I think that a Benedictine priest could also take care of the autistic but am not sure. Also there might be some other order that I'm not thinking of or don't know about. Any suggestions?

[/quote]

I'm not sure you'd find a Benedictine religious community that does this. Franciscans tend to do more of this kind of work- but you are looking for a very specific type of apostolate. I suggest you look into smaller, newer communities- or maybe you could look into founding a community.

Talk to your spiritual director and vocations director and see if he can help you with this.

Are there monasteries that are - more - open to older men? Is seems as though in America today an older, retired man would make a great candidate. They would have maturity, skills and a permanent (if small) income. I know that $ should not be a great factor in such - but a retired man would not be a drain on a community's resources. Unlike a younger brother, who may have had limited "public income - and as such will need to be cared for in old age - a lay person, with a calling and an income - would seem to be ideal.

Are there any such orders?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.