I feel guilty whenever I pray for a husband

Ok, I’m starting to think that Catholic Answers Forum needs a special sub-forum for singles.

That being said, I want to marry and have children, but whenever I pray for a husband and children, I feel very guilty.

Several reasons.

1 It doesn’t seem very holy to ask God to give you a husband and children.

2 I worry that maybe God doesn’t want me to marry, so I’ll be wasting my time. Or wose, he’ll answer my prayers and I’ll be miserable, since I wasn’t meant to marry.

3 I’m worried that I’ll be a terrible wife and mother, and just make everyone else miserable.

4 To be perfectly honest, a part of me still doesn’t believe that God loves me or wants me to be happy.

I still pray anyway. I also pray for my future husband, and that God will give me the grace to be a good wife and mother. But I still feel guilty.

Any thoughts?

I understand where you are coming from! At this time, for me, I’m leaning for #4. I knopw celibacy isn’t for me. Maybe I’m here so other people will be glad they aren’t me, so they better about themselves.

Why do you feel like you don’t deserve love and happiness?

[quote="CountrySinger, post:2, topic:196072"]
I understand where you are coming from! At this time, for me, I'm leaning for #4. I knopw celibacy isn't for me. Maybe I'm here so other people will be glad they aren't me, so they better about themselves.

[/quote]

I used to have that thought too!

I don’t know. Let me think about that for a bit and then get back to you. Ok?

Haha! I found #1 amusing. XD
Technically, marriage and family are both very holy. The sexual intimacy needed for both of them however, seems to make some members of the Purity-Celibacy crowd very squeamish.

On a serious note though, despite being very confident that I’m called to marry, I have #3 as my worry.

If it’s not the fear of being an overprotective and possessive husband, I’d probably be a very embarrassing father (what with all my geeky hobbies and the fact that I’m taking a college course that only bookworms are said to excel >_<;;; ).

[quote="valient_Lucy, post:4, topic:196072"]
I used to have that thought too!

[/quote]

Ditto. I actually do that myself to cheer people up.

"You think you've got it bad? At least you're not " :o

I can relate to # 3. Part of me would like to be married and share my life with some one…another part thinks 'omg…am I really for that awesome responsibility?? Sometimes I think “I need to get married soon so that I can break out of my selfish flying-solo” habits. Other times it’s like “Kim, stop worrying or you’re gonna make yourself sick” Ya know what I’m saying?

Also, I know I’m going to be one of those over-protective-but-means-well type mother!

I know I would be an awesome wife, I just don’t know how good of a mother I would be. I’m good with kids, but I can be sarcastic at times, but my nephews and nieces like it. I’m just tired of dating and waiting. I have needs and morals God, what is the hold up?! The needs are going to soon overtake the morals. Lol.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:6, topic:196072"]
Haha! I found #1 amusing. XD
Technically, marriage and family are both very holy. The sexual intimacy needed for both of them however, seems to make some members of the Purity-Celibacy crowd very squeamish.

[/quote]

I know! The crazy thing is, I know that marriage and family life is holy. That's what the church teaches, and I believe and profess all that the Catholic Church belives, teaches, and proclaims to be revealed by God. Plus, I felt the holiness of marriage very strongly when I attended a Catholic wedding last year and listened to the prayer of blessing the priest prayed. Still, I don't feel that it is holy to pray for a husband and children, or to want them.

Perhaps it is the sex aspect. It feels sinful to want that, or to pray for that.

Even though, by praying for a husband and children, I'm actually praying for a lot more than that.

"It's not true. But it feels true.

Becky from Sleepless in Seattle.

[quote="Lost_Wanderer, post:6, topic:196072"]

On a serious note though, despite being very confident that I'm called to marry, I have #3 as my worry.

If it's not the fear of being an overprotective and possessive husband, I'd probably be a very embarrassing father (what with all my geeky hobbies and the fact that I'm taking a college course that only bookworms are said to excel >_<;;; ).

[/quote]

Yeah, I worry about that all the time. I think about all the sacrifices I'll have to make as a wife and mother, and I don't think I'm a good enough person to do that.

I guess one thing we both have going for us is we admit that.

LOL!

I think you’d be a great mom, Countrysinger. My mom is sarcastic and witty, and it makes for a great relationship.

I don’t think there is anything wrong in praying for a husband. Just remember to also pray for others too.

(and pray for the really big things-an ending to the genocide in Africa, world peace, and me to finally be able to beat this stupid video game I’m currently addicted too!)

[quote="Rascalking, post:11, topic:196072"]
LOL!

I think you'd be a great mom, Countrysinger. My mom is sarcastic and witty, and it makes for a great relationship.

I don't think there is anything wrong in praying for a husband. Just remember to also pray for others too.

(and pray for the really big things-an ending to the genocide in Africa, world peace, and me to finally be able to beat this stupid video game I'm currently addicted too!)

[/quote]

World peace? Who am I, Miss America?

I did pray that you beat the video game, however.

Lucy don’t fell the least guilty in praying to find a good husband.
Amen to your prayers.
May God lead you to the best person for you and you for him very soon.

Love Trishie.
Don’t give up!

[quote="Trishie, post:13, topic:196072"]
Lucy don't fell the least guilty in praying to find a good husband.
Amen to your prayers.
May God lead you to the best person for you and you for him very soon.

Love Trishie.
Don't give up!

[/quote]

Thanks. I needed that.

:)

If you think you're praying a lot now, wait till you actually *have *a husband!

More seriously, why feel bad about wanting to be a wife?

I used to wonder why it was that no woman wanted me for a husband...what was wrong with me?

Answer: nothing. Just a matter of timing.

LOL! This was very funny!

:rotfl:

So this is what I have to look forward to when I end up married some day huh? :wink:

I can’t explain it, it just feels like it’s very selfish to want to be married. Or at least, a lot more selfish than praying to be a nun or (if I was a man) a priest. Even though I know that a person can want to be a priest or a nun for selfish reasons, it seems less selfish to want to be a priest or nun than to be married.

I don’t see why; apparently, it’s your vocation, and a very noble one at that. Being happily married is quite an achievement, especially these days.

Now, if you’re looking for a husband and kids as some kind of status symbols, or if you think marriage will “fix” you, or if you think God has to send you a husband to prove His love, you’re asking for trouble.

But what could be wrong with wanting to build and share a loving home and family?

–Scott

[quote="srlucado, post:19, topic:196072"]
I don't see why; apparently, it's your vocation, and a very noble one at that. Being happily married is quite an achievement, especially these days.

Now, if you're looking for a husband and kids as some kind of status symbols, or if you think marriage will "fix" you, or if you think God has to send you a husband to prove His love, you're asking for trouble.

But what could be wrong with wanting to build and share a loving home and family?

--Scott

[/quote]

Yeah, it is an achievement these days.

I don't think marriage and children are a status symbol, or that it will fix me. And the reality is, even if I do get a husband and children, I'll probably find another reason to doubt that God loves me.

I try to make sure that my motives are right, and I ask God to give me the proper motives for marriage and a family.

But it still feels as though this is a very selfish thing to ask for.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.