I feel I have a Vocation...what to do next?

Hey,

I've been reading threads here for a while and have always found them helpful. I'm 21 years old, from Ireland and I feel called to the Priesthood. I'm wondering what should do next? I've thought about it for years and years but have never had the courage I suppose to go for it. I've another year to In University before I get my bachelors degree and after that i'd like to actively pursue my Vocation rather than just thinking about it! This is not a spur of the moment thing, I've thought about it for ages but kept putting the idea at the back of my mind. How long would discernment with a vocations director take? as in if I want to enter a seminary next year should i contact the diocese now or wait?

Thanks in advance and please pray for me!

[quote="ocean321, post:1, topic:289189"]
Hey,

I've been reading threads here for a while and have always found them helpful. I'm 21 years old, from Ireland and I feel called to the Priesthood. I'm wondering what should do next? I've thought about it for years and years but have never had the courage I suppose to go for it. I've another year to In University before I get my bachelors degree and after that i'd like to actively pursue my Vocation rather than just thinking about it! This is not a spur of the moment thing, I've thought about it for ages but kept putting the idea at the back of my mind. How long would discernment with a vocations director take? as in if I want to enter a seminary next year should i contact the diocese now or wait?

[/quote]

Email or talk to the Vocations Director in your diocese. There's a list on this website for Ireland.

During the last year of undergrad is a good time to do it actually (that's when I started the formal application process). See if you can visit the local seminary to see what the life is like, that's always a good step. If you don't already have one, get a spiritual director who you can talk to about these things (a priest you trust is a good choice).

[quote="curlycool89, post:2, topic:289189"]
Email or talk to the Vocations Director in your diocese. There's a list on this website for Ireland.

During the last year of undergrad is a good time to do it actually (that's when I started the formal application process). See if you can visit the local seminary to see what the life is like, that's always a good step. If you don't already have one, get a spiritual director who you can talk to about these things (a priest you trust is a good choice).

[/quote]

I can't add much to this post, other than yes now is the time to begin the process. Also now would be the time to decide if you (think) you are being called to the Diocesan priesthood, or to an Order (such as Franciscans, Dominicans, Oblates of Mary Immaculate etc)

The time frame of course will depend on you and your director , but as has been stated jump in now.... you have nothing to lose that's for sure!

Blessings of the Irish Saints on your journey!

Sr Debbie, O.S.C.

[quote="ocean321, post:1, topic:289189"]
Hey,

[/quote]

Simply put - speak to your priest! He will be able to direct you to the appropriate resources in your parish/diocese. Some diocese have special discernment groups. Even if you are still in university, it never hurts to get in touch with the diocese now.

I will keep you in my prayers.

Thanks for the replies...I feel called to diocesan Priesthood anyway. My next task is working up the courage to actually contact the vocations director and begin the process! I spoke to a priest in confessions about this and he told me to contact someone, a neighbor of mine was ordained a few weeks ago so maybe he would be a good start. Its all very scary though..its one thing thinking about it but actually contacting someone is another story.
Pray for me

[quote="ocean321, post:5, topic:289189"]
Thanks for the replies...I feel called to diocesan Priesthood anyway. My next task is working up the courage to actually contact the vocations director and begin the process! I spoke to a priest in confessions about this and he told me to contact someone, a neighbor of mine was ordained a few weeks ago so maybe he would be a good start. Its all very scary though..its one thing thinking about it but actually contacting someone is another story.
Pray for me

[/quote]

Don't be afraid. You're not comitting to anything by beginning the process. Even entering the Seminary is just a continuation of the discernment process, both by you and the Church (as to your worthiness to be a priest). Nothing is final until you are ordained a deacon.

May God Bless you abundantly in your Vocation!

[quote="bilop, post:6, topic:289189"]
Don't be afraid. You're not comitting to anything by beginning the process. Even entering the Seminary is just a continuation of the discernment process, both by you and the Church (as to your worthiness to be a priest). Nothing is final until you are ordained a deacon.

[/quote]

That is a very important point. Choosing to enter the Seminary is not your final-locked-in-choice. The Seminary is a place where you continue to discern with other men considering this vocation and with priest-directors to help guide you.

Normally, it will be at least 4 years (3 years theology + 1 pastoral year. I saw normally based on here, although this is changing to 5 years for us now) in the Seminary before your decision becomes a mostly final and you're ordained a Deacon.

Another option is to write to your bishop, he will hand over your letter to the appropriate people and they will contact your parish priest (so have a talk to him first). Don't feel too nervous about it because it is all part of the discerning process. In other words you are not signing your life away by making enquiries. They will be delighted to help you.

[quote="curlycool89, post:2, topic:289189"]

[/quote]

I don't know the program in Ireland but in the States, you need a certain number of credit hours of philosophy and theology before you focus on theology in a major seminary. Talk to your vocation director and you may be able to knock some of this out by choosing options wisely for your last year at University.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.