I feel like I am not doing enough for God

I feel like I am not doing enough for God. I feel like I am not doing enough good works to please Him and to prove to Him and to others that I love Him. After all, the Bible does say much about this:

If you love me, keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father: and he shall give you another Paraclete, that he may abide with you for ever: The spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, nor knoweth him. But you shall know him; because he shall abide with you and shall be in you. I will not leave you orphans: I will come to you. Yet a little while and the world seeth me no more. But you see me: because I live, and you shall live. In that day you shall know that I am in my Father: and you in me, and I in you. He that hath my commandments and keepeth them; he it is that loveth me. And he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father: and I will love him and will manifest myself to him. Judas saith to him, not the Iscariot: Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself to us, and not to the world? Jesus answered and said to him: If any one love me, he will keep my word. And my Father will love him and we will come to him and will make our abode with him.
(John 14:15-23 DRB)

What shall it profit, my brethren, if a man say he hath faith, but hath not works? Shall faith be able to save him? And if a brother or sister be naked and want daily food: And one of you say to them: Go in peace, be ye warmed and filled; yet give them not those things that are necessary for the body, what shall it profit? So faith also, if it have not works, is dead in itself. But some man will say: Thou hast faith, and I have works. Shew me thy faith without works; and I will shew thee, by works, my faith. Thou believest that there is one God. Thou dost well: the devils also believe and tremble. But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, offering up Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou that faith did cooperate with his works and by works faith was made perfect? And the scripture was fulfilled, saying: Abraham believed God, and it was reputed to him to justice, and he was called the friend of God. Do you see that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only? And in like manner also Rahab the harlot, was not she justified by works, receiving the messengers and sending them out another way? For even as the body without the spirit is dead: so also faith without works is dead.
(James 2:14-26 DRB)

There are many other verses in the Bible that speak about the importance of doing good works and keeping the commandments of Christ. Well, I feel like I am not doing enough good works. I do good works every now and then but it is not a daily thing for me as I don’t really find opportunities to do good works daily. I pray a lot and I pray for other people a lot which I guess you could count that as a good work (not sure about that) but I don’t really do much else in the way of good works. I am wanting to start volunteering at a nursing home. I know if I did that I would be doing good works. It would one of the works of mercy which is to visit the sick. But anyway, if you all could please provide me with some advice, I’d really appreciate it.

thank u.

Ummm, you’re welcome but I don’t exactly what you are thanking me for Josephpeter.

I understand what you mean, Holly. I feel like there is so much more that I could do. I wish that I did more good works as well. I suppose being a dad to 3 children (with a 4th on the way) is, in its own way, a continuous good work. I mean, raising children to be good Catholics, and good people, is a good work, right? I don’t know- I just feel like I should be helping more people.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.