I feel like I'm losing my faith

Hey everyone, I randomly found this website and I feel that maybe it will help me. I was raised in a very religious Catholic family, but I myself do not feel spiritual enough. I’ve been a very sinful catholic, and I honestly do not feel any faith in this. I want to be a good Catholic, but I don’t know how and even if I did, I’m not truly feeling it. If you have any suggestions or anything, that would be helpful. Thank you.

Hi stefania, Welcome.

Not really sure if this helps. But if wanting to come back to the Catholic faith, I would offer a few suggestions…

Go back to the Sacraments of Confession and the Holy Eucharist (at least every Sunday). Pray and read the Scriptures. Browse around the Forums.

Is there any specific area you have questions on that might be helpful?

Ps. We’re all sinners, that’s why we need the Church. :o

Simon

Just coming here to this forum and by asking these questions shows that you are care more than you think you do. Or God is calling you and lead you to find out more about your faith.

You will get some help here if you stay.

Often faith is not about feelings. We can be drawn astray if we start to look for our faith to give us alot of feelings.

Praying for you

Stefania if , as you say, you want to be a good Catholic the first thing to do is to go to confession. When you tell your sins to the priest he will absolve you in Christ’s name and your soul will be filled with Sanctifying Grace and you will have the power from the Holy Spirit to begin again your walk to the Lord.

If you don’t know what to say in Confession, tell the priest and he will be glad to help you. If you don’t want to do this ask a member of your family to write out what to do in confession or just google ‘how to make a good confession.’

You say you what to be a good Catholic but don’t know how. Well the first thing, as I said is to go to confession/reconciliation and then go to Holy Mass on Sunday and receive Our Lord in Holy Communion. Talk to God every day and if you do these things you will have made a good start in being a Catholic.

You say you want to be a good Catholic but you’re not feeling it. You don’t have to feel it. Feelings aren’t the best judge of how you are with God. Just direct your will to doing what I have outlined above and if God wishes He will give you the feelings of happiness. As Fr Corapi says, “Just do it.” When you are going to reconciliation, Mass, receiving Holy Communion and praying every day get back to us and we can advise you of the next steps.

Remember , take it slowly and ask the Holy Spirit to guide you always. :slight_smile:

Stefania, welcome to the forums! :slight_smile:

We all go through that at some time or other. Your coming to CAF, and the posts already made should give you the direction in which to go! You have already experienced the good will of some of our members, so you’re in good company.

Stefania, I will keep you in my prayers and Masses, asking the Father in Jesus’ name to keep your faith safe, and to increase your faith as a Catholic. May the Holy Spirit guide and inspire you.

Bless you, Trishie :grouphug:

thank you for all the responses so quickly. and i will definitely try and do these things, but honestly i have been. i do go to church every sunday with my family…and part of my lack of faith is because i dread going to church. i dont know why i feel this way, but when i receive the Holy Communion it doesnt effect me in anyway. And i think thats where my problem is. I’ve gone to confession, although not as much as I should, and it doesn’t make me feel better often. I don’t know, maybe I’m just not the religious type. But I guess I will try these guiding tips you have all suggested and see if I can improve my relationship with God.

Just a thought…do you sit with Jesus and talk to him as a friend as well as a saviour? Tell Him your difficulties.

Trust
God, we cannot endure prolonged or severe spiritual desolation without Your support. Please comfort us, and increase our faith.

Jesus suffered doubt as we do when He cried out, “My God, My God, why have You abandoned Me?”
We unite our doubt with His, for You look with silent pity and unspeakable love on Your Son. You know that Jesus, though sinless, chose to suffer with us, drinking the cup of our unloving choices.

Jesus, You say to me, “Take up your cross and follow Me!” “If you love me, keep my commandments.” I fix my eyes upon the bright scars of Your ransom for me. Why did You suffer so terribly for me who even now remain unconverted? Yet Your wounds, Your hands, Your heart and Your word are filled with promises that You desire to fulfil in me and in others.

I offer You my only coin—trust against all appearances, hope despite my heartache, and faith despite my sins and flaws. Mercifully accept this meagre offering and open Your treasure house of love to me and to those whom You wish to serve through me.

Give us strength to bear doubt when it comes, our God, so that with Jesus we can say, “Father, into Your hands I commend my spirit”, thus joining with Him to death of unbelief and sin—into freedom of rising with Him into the glory of the redeemed spirit.

Trishie. Bless you.

I think it comes down to one’s belief in Christ. Do you believe in Him? If so, you should return to some community to worship and praise Him, and gather strength from others to better serve Him.

Quite often when we are give a precious gift, like the Holy Mass and Jesus’ gift of his own Love in the form of His Body and Blood in the Eucharist, we take it for granted.

I felt the same way you do for many years and drifted away from Jesus. I listened to everyone else who said you don’t need Jesus or His Church, you can do it yourself.

My selfish desires and self interests led me to the point where I was sent to prison for my crimes.

Only then, when I could not go to Mass, when I could not receive the Precious Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of our Lord Jesus Christ in the most Holy Eucharist, did I finally realize what I had casually thrown away.

The ultimate gift!!

I pray that you do not have to go through the hell on earth that I have had to endure before you realize what a perfect treasure is placed in your mouth each time you receive the Most Holy Eucharist.

You are in my prayers.

Mark

Very powerful post, Mark… thanks for sharing…

I think this might be for you.
If you have a friend or have the money to go down and buy, or hire from a video shop the “Jesus of Nazareth” “King of Kings” or “The Passion of Christ” these can take you into understanding how n’ why Jesus gave His life for us.
You can then build your faith on what you have seen. Then you can speak to a priest, or other, or back on the forums.
OK?
BUT…don’t be too hard on yourself.:slight_smile: :clapping:
Godbless

I went to a Cathedral where I live today with my Arts class. And, as something I normally don’t do i blessed myself with Holy Water and lit a candle for all those deceased as well as said a small prayer to Our Lady of Czestochowa, and it made me feel a bit better. Perhaps this is the start of what I’ve been looking for, a better relationship with God. I will continue to take your advice and listen to you all. Thank you for the support and God bless you all.

=]

Perhaps you could try and begin building your spiritual life by starting to read through one of the Gospels. You could begin with the Gospel according to St. John and read a single chapter a night. After reading the chapter, spend as much time as you feel appropriate in prayer meditating upon the words of Jesus. Maybe if you learned more about the person of Jesus through bible reading, prayer, and meditation, you would be able to be more receptive to the sacraments that He wishes to offer you.

Just my two cents. Peace and good!:slight_smile:

-Kevin

Assuming ‘88’ is your birthyear, I think this is something people our age go through. It’s a time where we can leave, or be strengthened in the faith. I noticed something in your posts though that I think might help you:

I myself do not feel spiritual enough

I’m not truly feeling it.

i dont know why i feel this way, but when i receive the Holy Communion it doesnt effect me in anyway

Well what do you think it should feel like? I think that will go a lot towards solving the problem.

The Saints can be an inspiration to us, but they also can be a goal that is too high in some cases. As Catholics we hear of people who are constantly Christ Like. Who attend Mass every day and Confession every Sunday and fit in a rosary each night after they get home from volunteering at the shelter. Often, at least in my case, we start to feel inferior.

But in that case our intent is wrong. We should look to these saints as inspiration. If we can examine ourselves and find that we feel a true relationship with Christ should be a bit more private and personal, then that is easy enough to practice. If we think it should be found in helping others then maybe we most easily find Christ in volunteer work.

God can speak to us through our feelings. Not in the sense where we ought to judge whether or not a Sacrament or prayer worked based on how we feel afterwards, but they can help guide us towards what God wants from us. In your case He may be trying to guide you towards your spiritual relationship with Him by making you attracted to specific devotions that you will want to practice and come to know Him through.

You are a specific creation of Christ, and the longing for Faith and devotion you feel is the exact same thing everyone feels. Some have run so far from Him that they can no longer feel this, or some do feel this for a while and then give up because they come to the conclusion that, since they cannot feel Him, He must not exist. You’re still searching, and if you knock He will answer. Keep searching for that specific devotion or place that you can connect to Him through, the prayer or practice that He has created your soul specifically for.

Finally, do all you can to rid yourself of guilt for doubting, and don’t force yourself to try and feel something. True, solid faith will come when you relax into the roles God has (and will) lead you to. Don’t fret about going to Mass. If you don’t feel something, don’t worry! The Eucharist is still there, comforting and guiding you whether you feel like He is or not.

God Bless.

Hi stefania, one thing I do know for sure, it doesn’t have anything to do with how I feel.
You could keep some holy water in your house and bless yourself both before you go to bed and when you wake up and acknowledge God, say goodnight to Him, ask Him to watch over you as you sleep, say the Act of Contrition before you go to bed, (after you examine your day, see where you went wrong, try to do better the next day.)
In the morning, say good morning to Jesus and ask Him to send the Holy Spirit to you to be with you, and those you love, throughout the day. (or say any Morning Offering you’d like, offer your day to Him.)
Acknowledge His presence in your life. Look for opportunities throughout the day, to speak with Him, pray before meals, pray for others when you think of them, or when someone at work is starting to get on your last nerve (or someone at home.)
Just try to think of Him throughout your day, be aware of His presence, talk to Him silently about whatever it is you need help with. Or for others. Offer things up to Him throughout the day.
Go to Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament occasionally and spend some time with Jesus, maybe pray the Holy Rosary, or just talk to Him silently about your life and then just sit there and listen with your heart for Him to speak to you.
Partake of the Sacraments as much as you can.
Do a Novena or pray the Stations of the Cross once in awhile.
I pray a Rosary daily, (and when I do that, I ask Him to let His Mother pray with me), my husband and I pray daily together that and a Chaplet of Divine Mercy, go to Adoration once a week, (Adore Him and thank Him for your blessings, or just sit there silently with Him), go to Mass (and at Mass, during Holy Communion, I pretty much just thank Him and pray for others intensions), confession about montly, Novena’s, Stations of the Cross, (not daily, but occasionally). Pretty much I just talk to Him all day long (silently), I find myself praying sometimes without even really being conscious about when I started praying. When driving, I pray for help and for those on the road with me.:smiley:
Eventually, God will just be a normal part of your life, as He should be, you just need to make the effort to include Him in your life.
I like Christian music, EWTN, this site, and I read the Bible.
It probably sounds like my whole day is spent in prayer, but I do talk with others and do other things too, its just that I am very aware of God in my life is all.
I came to the conclusion, a long time ago, that He is with me all day even if I don’t acknowledge Him, but my day’s go much better when I do.
Like any relationship, you have to spend time with someone before you realize how close you are to them. (Or how close they are to you.)

The most important thing in every person’s life is to love and be loved. That is the purpose for which we are made.

God who made your soul out of nothing, loves you. Religion is about you meeting, knowing and loving this immortal being, the supreme spirit who alone exists of Himself and is infinite in all perfection.

We know God loves us not by what we FEEL, but by what He DID.

Although God loves us we can choose to reject His love. We receive Him and His love by being receptive to it. We ask for it.

All you have to do is call.

Jesus comes to us through Mary. We go to Him through Mary.

I pray that God will touch you and you will know in the deepest place within your soul how much you are loved.

Amen and amen.

Godbless GP

Become a Christian before you become a good Catholic.

Being Catholic without faith in Jesus Christ, will make you a religious person, but not a spiritual one.

Life in the spirit in Jesus Christ, is a relational experience, with the Divine Being, who is God.

So, if you want to grow in faith, you must turn toward the source of faith, Jesus Christ.

Prayer is the means. First step, get a Bible. Then, find a place where you can be quiet. Before you open the Bible, close your eyes and from your heart, pray to Jesus, and ask Him to come into your life and to transform you, to be as He would have you.
Surrender everything you are, to Him. This means your politics, your ideas, your agendas. Put your entire life in His hands.
Then, open the Bible and begin to read it. Don’t worry if you’ve open to a page that you don’t understand. Just leave everything to the Holy Spirit.

Do this and watch what happens.

God Bless
Jim

angelfire.com/ca3/rafaelmarie/ThePieta/athepieta.html
catholicforum.com/churches/cathteach/divinemercy1.htm
our.homewithgod.com/divinemercy/

*Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen. *

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

Jesus is a doctor, a good doctor. You can take his prescriptions, his teachings like medicine, and, just as medicine takes a long time to produce results, so do his teachings.

One of the many benefits of True Devotion to Mary (by St. Louis Mary de Montfort) - **The **medicine great saints like St. Maximilian Maria and St. Therese of Liseux have taken. (Note this books is available online and His Holiness Pope John Paul II said that this book was a “decisive turning point in his life”).

**2. A Share in Mary’s faith. **
**214. ** **Mary will share her faith with you. **Her faith on earth was stronger than that of all the patriarchs, prophets, apostles and saints. Now that she is reigning in heaven she no longer has this faith, since she sees everything clearly in God by the light of glory. However, with the consent of Almighty God she did not lose it when entering heaven. **She has preserved it for her faithful servants in the Church Militant. ** **Therefore, the more you gain the friendship of this noble Queen and Virgin, the more will you be inspired by faith in your daily life. ** It will cause you to depend less upon sensible and extraordinary feelings. For it is a lively faith animated by charity enabling you to do everything from no other motive than that of pure love. It is a firm faith, unshakeable as a rock, prompting you to remain firm and steadfast in the midst of storms and tempests. It is an active and probing faith which like some mysterious pass-key admits you into the mysteries of Jesus Christ and of man’s final destiny and into the very heart of God himself. It is a courageous faith which inspires you to undertake and carry out without hestiation great things for God and the salvation of souls. Lastly, this faith will be your flaming torch, your very life with God, your secret fund of divine Wisdom, and an all-powerful weapon for you to enlighten those who sit in darkness and the shadow of death. **It inflames those who are lukewarm and need the gold of fervent love. ** It restores life to those who are dead through sin. It moves and transforms hearts of marble and cedars of Lebanon by gentle and convincing argument. Finally, this faith will strengthen you to resist the devil and the other enemies of salvation.

A side benefit: ** 3. The gift of pure love **
**215. ** The Mother of fair love will rid your heart of all scruples and inordinate servile fear. She will open and enlarge it to obey the commandments of her Son with alarcity and with the holy freedom of the children of God. She will fill your heart iwth pure love of which she is the treasury. You will then cease to act, as you did before, out of fear of God who is love, but rather out of pure love. You will look upon him as a loving father and endeavour to please him at all times. You will speak trustfully to him as a child does to its father. If you should have the misfortune to offend him you will abase yourself before him and humbly beg his pardon. You will offer your hand to him with simplicity and lovingly rise from your sin. **Then, peaceful and relaxed and buoyed up with hope, you will continue on your way to him. **

Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse. Come Holy Spirit, come by means of the powerful intercession of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, your well beloved spouse.

Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with Thee. Blessed art Thou among women and blessed is the fruit of Thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.