I feel lost without EWTN Shortwave

I had been listening to EWTN programming on shortwave radio for at least ten years. I got my first shortwave radio when Mother was still selling them. In recent years I have come to listen more and more, and supported EWTN regularly. I would listen while working in my shop, or in the kitchen, or even outside in the summer. But alas, on March 30, all has suddenly gone silent. And I had bought a new shortwave radio just two weeks before the frequency and “target” changes…and this week the Holy Father is visiting our country.
I hope that EWTN will at least modify their broadcasting so that we can receive programs in the evening hours when the new target countries (Africa, Middle East) are asleep anyway. Meanwhile, the non-catholics are coming in loud and clear on shortwave over here in the USA. One evening last week I counted 12 non-catholic preaching stations coming in crystal clear with just the whip antenna on the radio. One preacher I tuned in to was carrying forth on how the rapture was coming on May 21, 2011 ! In view of such, it is really a pity that there is no more Catholic shortwave here in North America to boradcast the truth.

Jim in Wisconsin

I, too, have a shortwave radio. It was cool too–it had a cassette player that worked like a VCR, only for audio programs.

But this is all silly, now that we are in the age of the Internet, and one can listen via live stream. Or in the age of digital podcasts, where one can download their favorite EWTN shows, and listen to it whenever they want. Or in the age of satellite radio, where one can listen to EWTN (thru Sirius radio) 24/7, with no fear of the changes of atmospheric temperature that shorwave is built upon.

Don’t complain about the demise of old technology. People are not buying shortwave radios, which is why it didn’t make sense to keep it going.

Nick

Gosh, this makes me so sad! Even though I’ve been enjoying Sirius radio and internet radio, and Dish Network, I alway felt I had WEWN to fall back on if we had financial difficulties.

I actually got to meet with Mother Angelica 15 years ago and got to thank her for having this, because for a very long time this was the ONLY way we could get EWTN. It still is not available on local cable, and locally we only have three hours a week of Catholic radio.

Well, I hope Sirius stays solvent, and those blessed enough to have local Catholic radio are lucky enough to keep it.:frowning:

I wasn’t aware that the shortwave was gone. I have tried to get it the last few weeks and couldn’t, but I just blamed it on weather conditions. I’ll really miss it, as I could take my radio with me wherever I was, as opposed to being tied down in front of the tv. I’ll really miss Catholic answers especially, but I guess the changes are needed. It’s really too bad, because it will cost EWTN financial support in the end.

And what about the Canadian listeners? Did Sirius Canada ever restore EWTN to their lineup? If not, shortwave would be the only radio broadcast…I’m sure it would be years, if ever, that Catholic radio would be available 24/7 on local broadcasts.:confused:

What an uninformed last sentence. It probably cost EWTN more to keep an antiquated technology running than whatever support you–and the other eight shortwave listeners in the world–can give.

Want to take Catholic Answers with you? Get a portable satellite radio. Or get an iPod, and download podcasts… for free… and listen to them whenever you want.

You’re reminding me of that episode of a recent sitcom, with the guy who’s the last Beeper salesman in New York–only to realize that beepers became obsolete when cell phones and blackberries trumped whatever cool things a beeper should provide. He replied, “technology is cyclical”–but in fact, technology is NOT cyclical. When technology becomes redundant and replaced by something better, it has no further reason to exist.

Shortwave radio was faulty from the get-go, subject to weather conditions and not playing well during hours of sunlight–not to mention that there’s not exactly a slew of shortwave radio repair facitilites down the street. With satellite radio and digital downloads, plus the cheaper rates to have these (compared to shortwave), these issues you raise are utterly obsolete.

One thing you must understand. I’m an antique radio collector, and I still like to listen to shortwave radio broadcasts. Listening to WEWN on the shortwave is what influenced me to get Dish TV so I can watch EWTN. I do appreciate the new technology that we have which, as you say, is very superior the the high-tech of days gone by. It’s not that I won’t get along without WEWN, I just enjoyed listening to it and other shortwave broadcasts. It’s sort of an old man thing. Maybe you’ll find out someday. As far as financial support, WEWN is always in need of contributions, and they will miss the support, even though, as you say, there were only eight or nine of us.

If it means anything, I miss my Atari 2600.

As far as financial support, WEWN is always in need of contributions, and they will miss the support, even though, as you say, there were only eight or nine of us.

I’ve actually just begun supporting them, thru my constant listening to them via their podcasts, and also thru watching their shows that were aired and DVR’d at 3am. Good stuff. I was never this consistent in listening, nor support, with my timer-cassette-recorder infused shortwave radio.

EWTN still has shortwave! They’re just not broadcasting to North America anymore.

I absolutely love my Sirius radio…and they will most likely be merging with XM soon, but the satellite technology is expensive…whether broadband, satellite tv, cable tv, etc.

WEWN might not have abandoned shortwave. We’ve been at the bottom of the solar cycle, when higher frequencies don’t function well. Many expect the cycle to rise, but it hasn’t happened yet, so the switch to higher bands might be premature. See if you hear audio better on lower Spanish freqs (Mexico).

ewtn.com/radio/freq.htm

If so, contact Glen Tapley, Frequency Manager, gtapley@ewtn.com
Give your location, radio and antenna info and a comparison to lower frequencies.

I loved hearing it on 5850 kHz in the mornings.

I also listened to WEWN radio via shortwave and was about to buy a new shortwave radio when I learned that we would no longer be able to get these programs. I don’t have satellite radio and won’t get it until I can listen as I carry a radio around the house. Yes, I can listen via the computer, but, again, I can’t carry it to the basement and listen while ironing. I wonder if anything can be done. I have already emailed EWTN.

There are many portable satellite radio options available. It’s not just for cars or PCs anymore.

Here are the portable Sirius devices… your local retailer may have a larger selection.

shop.sirius.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreDirectory.vm&ctl_nbr=2640&catLevel=1&catParentID=7874&scId=7874&oldParentID=7870

"… this is all silly, now that we are in the age of the Internet, and one can listen via live stream. Or in the age of digital podcasts, where one can download their favorite EWTN shows, and listen to it whenever they want. Or in the age of satellite radio, where one can listen to EWTN (thru Sirius radio) 24/7, with no fear of the changes of atmospheric temperature that shorwave is built upon.

Don’t complain about the demise of old technology. People are not buying shortwave radios, which is why it didn’t make sense to keep it going."

What a short-sighted view to take! Not everyone can afford satellite radio, or cable T.V. Shortwave crosses boarders, and
meets people where they are. A lot of the people in the world
are still waiting for a telephone, much less an iPOD.

People are buying shortwave radios in developing countries everyday. That’s why firms like ETON are expanding. Did you ever listen to the call in shows when callers from Europe called in, because they could pick up the signal meant for the U.S. market?
Did you realise that others in Africa also listened, but coudn’t call due to the lack of a telephone?

So much for spreading the Gospel. I’ve got my shortwave radio on. The Cubans are coming in fine!.. Where is EWTN?

What is shortwave? :confused:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shortwave

It sounds pretty boring. No wonder I didn’t know what it is. I wouldn’t want to get one. I doubt if there is any good music on it.

Besides, if people can post here, it means they have computers. So why would they need shortwave radio when they can listen to EWTN podcasts?

What will happen if Sirius and XM merge? Will there effectively be one company? If there are too few resources and profits for so many channels, I fear religious programmers might be the first to be squeezed out. Too many of us know how EWTN TV sometimes loses battles with cable companies. Even though North America might be able to hear EWTN SW when atmospheric conditions improve, I advise EWTN not to place itself completely at the mercy of vendors whose major interest is adult programming.

How many people have satellite radio but not a computer? Anybody with a computer can listen to podcasts. I only know one person who has satellite radio, but almost everyone I know has a computer.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.