I Finally Told my Dad

I finally told my dad that I want to be a priest. He was very calm throughout the whole conversation and he seemed relatively happy. He did try to tell me that I might come back to him in a year and say I don’t want that, so I almost felt like he was still a little hesitant with the idea. He said I would run the idea through my head hundreds of times. I don’t think he even realizes how far along I am in the discernment process. Thanks for everyones prayers.

May God be with you.

Recommended reading if you haven’t yet.

ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41r1qiRbWNL.SY346_PJlook-inside-v2,TopRight,1,0_SH20.jpg

I’m happy you’re Dad seemed relatively ok with the idea.
Peace in Christ, Mary.

Praise God on both counts.:cool:

He sounds to me more like a man with the wisdom that comes from age. Who is glad for you but also wants to let you know that if you do change later its still ok.

God bless.

Your father is right. You might go back to him in a year and tell him that your discernment has caused you to determine that you don’t want to be a priest.

THAT is what discernment is all about.

I know of at least two young men that thought for many years that they wanted to be priests. After two years in the seminary, they both decided that their lives would take a different turn.

Again, THAT is what discernment is all about.

I also know of a young man that was sure he was going to be married and have lots children. He is now in his 2nd year of theology. He is very sure he wants to be a priest.

He has, so far, discerned that he wants to be a priest.

I pray that you have faithful people in your path to help you with your discernment.

He is quite correct. Nothing is, as of yet, set in stone.

Be assured of my prayers and, per usual, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to get in touch with me.

That’s the way I read it too. He is letting you know that his door is open no matter which option you chose. Lucky you to have such a wise father. :thumbsup:

How wonderful that you can now discuss your discernment process with your family.

Your dad is very wise.

If you want to know if he is hesitant about you being a priest, you need to ask him his feelings.

You have decided that his understanding that our thoughts and plans about our future change MEANS he is hesitant with you being a priest. You placed those thoughts in your head based on your own thoughts - not based on his actually saying that he is hesitant.

People easily do that and sometimes we call it “mind reading”. We decide what a person’s words or “look” means. We need to ask the person what they mean or why they said something.

I know a seminarian who was set for his ordination as a Transitional Deacon in a few months, but decided not to return to the seminary. He is now a wonderful husband and father. He still works for the church, but is not a priest.

Enjoy this time as you continue to explore God’s calling in your life.

Have you had the chance to meet with the Vocations Director? Hopefully, he can introduce you to other teens your age who are interested in discerning God’s call to the priesthood.

St. John Vianney ~ Patron Saint of Priests ~ Pray for us.

May God bless you and your father!

In Christ,
brother Attempto

Thanks Everyone. Indeed, I feel very blessed to have a wise father. My dad said that I am allowed to do whatever I want with my life. He feels that if I want to do that, I should do that. He said it is the “cycle of life.” I don’t necessarily know what he meant by that.

Welcome to the club of those who are discerning priesthood

OP: I have to tell you a secret. . . in today’s economy, it’s considered okay to skip a year or so after college if you’re on such a journey/opportunity and it doesn’t work out. It won’t be held against you.

Your dad’s wise in letting you check out the thing and not popping a gasket. If it works, it works; if it doesn’t, it doesn’t. You’ve learned something valuable in the process, and it doesn’t really harm much. (Oh, I suppose there are some who would say that you ‘lose’ whatever income or profit you might have made from a year’s worth of work).

The older I get, the more I appreciate the positives of religious life. . . but for me, it’s smelling the roses on the other side of the fence! :slight_smile: I suppose the same’s true for religious; after a while, the lay side of things starts looking peachier.

I am impressed—and I believe it’s even an empirical fact—at the HIGH levels of happiness in their work enjoyed by religious, versus the pain, frustration, boredom, nonsensical anxieties of the Average Working Stiff.

Your dad only wants what is best for you.I think what he meant was that it is difficult in every vocation to remain faithful even marraige thats where you must pray for perseverance but if temptations do come to leave your vocation turn to Mary:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.