I finally understand "Communion of the Saints"...

When I first converted to Catholicism, I had a hard time understanding how Mary could possibly hear all the prayers of so many Catholics who may be all talking to her at once. I had been taught that only GOD is omnipresent - not Mary or the Saints.

Well, I think I have a better understanding of it now…

Once we’re in heaven, we’re no longer bound by the constraints of time. It’s like we’ll all have “time machines.” I will be able to “time machine” back to April 1, 2007 at 8:40 pm to see what I was doing at the time. When I finish with that, maybe I’ll “time machine” to your house (also on April 1, 2007 at 8:40 pm) so that I can see what you were doing. (Sure hope you were behaving yourself!) Since time isn’t an issue, I could “time machine” to everyone’s house (on April 1, 2007 at 8:40 pm) and be nosey (ie: a “peeping tomch”). When I come back to heaven, it will be just like in the “Chronicles of Narnia” - no time will have passed at all.

In fact, I could “time machine” back to your birth, be in your “cloud of witnesses” your entire life, and then go witness ten billion other people’s lives from birth to death, then go back to heaven and not one second will have passed. (BTW… I think it would be so wonderful to watch the lives of some of the saints! - Ignatius, the Apostles, Irenaeus, Thomas Acquinas, St. Francis, etc… Can’t wait to do this.)

So - billions of people can be praying to Mary at the same time, and she’s certainly able to be in the “cloud of witnesses” in each location by “time machining” to each one. And no “time” will have passed in heaven, since heaven is outside the constraints of time.

I shudder to realize this :eek: , but we ALL could have EVERY saint in heaven and EVERY angel surrounding us every minute of every day, and it makes perfect sense, since time isn’t “linear” in heaven. Makes one kinda want to avoid sin a little more, doesn’t it?!

Anyway, if anyone else out there is struggling with the “Communion of the Saints” doctrine, I hope this has helped a bit. :slight_smile:

Very nice explanation Tomch!:thumbsup:

I understand your analogy–it’s quite creative! :slight_smile: Whatever helps us grasp the nearly ungraspable (if that’s a word?) is fine, IMO. :thumpsup:

For me, I see it as the eternal now. The saints in heaven dwell in the eternal now–there is no past and no future to them–everything is happening now.

We cannot fathom such a concept because we on earth are linear creatures who think in linear terms, but eternity isn’t time. As you rightly put it, it is outside of time, so it is always now in eternity.

So, I don’t see the saints zipping about in time machines, as fun as that image is!, but as seeing everything at once. Believe me, it boggles my mind, too! :stuck_out_tongue:

I guess my “true geek” is showing, eh?! :nerd:

Well, when we get to heaven, and if I actually do have a time machine, you are certainly welcome to use it any time you’d like. If you’re looking for me, I’ll be in the cloud of witnesses surrounding the Star Trek set. :smiley:

I read, not sure the author (it was either The City of God or the book Life of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Anne Catherine Emerich).

When the Blessed Mother took her place in Heaven, the Father “replayed” creating the very beginning of the universe…it was almost like a re-run. She was so priviledged to share the very beginnings of Light from darkness.

This sort of parallels your “time machine” analogy. Do you think?:slight_smile:

But is that not the beauty of the religion? Every Saint, God and Angel (And people) in Heaven are with (all of*) us every moment of everyday. There to watch over us, to protect us, to keep us company when times are good, and when times are bad. We are never alone in Catholicism**. :slight_smile:

To be honest, until now, it has never been put in that perspective for me either. I guess it should help us to stop sinning, or at least make us think twice. :o

*As time does not exist, it is possible for them to be everywhere all the time. It is hard to contemplate, but when you do understand what time-less existence (ie. Heaven) is like, it really is quite amazing. :slight_smile:

**When times are at their worst, when suffering from clinical depression, or bereavement, this is definately one of the most comforting aspects of Catholicism!

The communion of the Saints shows the great love of God for all of us. Love lasts forever, and certainly loving one another and helping others to closer to God do not limit to only those living on earth. Those Saints in Heaven are still loving us the way we love each other and that is praying for one another.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.