I forgot to go to Adoration

Last night, bathing kids, putting kids to bed and reading to them and praying with them I forgot my time at Adoration.

I woke up this morning and it was my first thought.... ":eek: I missed Adoration"

Now I feel terrible about it.

I don't believe the Eucharist was left alone since a lot of people go on Friday night.

I went to mass this morning as usual for a Saturday and asked for forgiveness.

Maybe I should change my time to one less in conflict with family life.

I used to be committed for Tuesday Midnight to 1:00 AM, but slept through it three times in a three month period. I had to switch for the sake of the poor guy before me who had to pull doubles. Now I do an earlier hour on Sunday night.

I thought I was doing pennance, or being some kind of spiritual hero like the martyrs and saints we venerate who did without food and sleep so often, but I was just fooling myself.

I wouldn't be afraid to follow your heart in this, and speak to the coordinators or other people in charge if it is interfering with your life. Balancing family, job and diaconate is going to be a challenge for you soon enough, and sometimes humility is knowing when to back off.

I asked to be off the reader schedule for August and September for just that reason, because I felt I had to back off a little, and next thing you know they asked me to head up continuing education for adults at the parish. Go figure.

If you are docile to the Holy Spirit then God will lead you to where he want's you to be.

-Tim-

Thanks Tim.

I do need some discernment.

I'll also be coordinating and teaching RCIA, as well as That Man is You at 6am on Wednesdays, as well as Lector and EMHC, and one weekend/month for the formation.

And my parish priest wanted to know which AM mass would better for me, 7am or 7:30 so that I can attend daily mass. :blush: I felt very honoured to be considered.

I think I need to pull pout of TMIY even though it was so good for me last year.

I’m sure you felt horrible. I will pray for your discernment.

Thanks MM

You’re welcome. You and Tim are two of my favorite posters. It’s my pleasure to pray for both of you.

I have two of those middle of the night Adoration shifts, which I like in that no one else is there, but I’m paranoid of sleeping through my alarm and missing out. It hasn’t happened yet, thankfully. I get nervous when the guy after me is late, though.

[quote="triumphguy, post:1, topic:295690"]

I woke up this morning and it was my first thought.... ":eek: I missed Adoration"

Now I feel terrible about it.

I don't believe the Eucharist was left alone since a lot of people go on Friday night.

I went to mass this morning as usual for a Saturday and asked for forgiveness..

[/quote]

My friend, you have nothing to feel terrible about. You didn't IGNORE your commitment, you forgot in the rush of caring for the precious family God has given into your care. God isn't angry. It's no sin to forget.

If you spoke with a priest, I will assume that not only did he 'forgive' you for your mistake, but that he also suggested you forgive yourself as well and let it go. If he didn't, shame on him! And if he did, trust him and stop feeling badly.

Remember that Jesus gave us a model of service, and you were not present at adoration because you were indeed serving your family. If you asked Jesus to choose which was his choice for your Friday evening, do you seriously think He'd have taken you from your family? I do NOT mean skip adoration by any means! I, too, value my time before the blessed sacrament.

However, balance in all things is a virtue, and becoming so involved in the work of he parish can be overdone to the detriment of one's family. We've all seen some church 'backbone' folks who spend more time at church events than with their children. Not good. Pray for discernment, by all means, but don't let church tasks get in the way of your family time would be my advice.

DG,I also like mid-night hours when I was generally alone in the divine presence. Bliss.

Our Archbishop tells his deacons that their number one responsibility is to God - their own prayer life, sacramental life, and their own salvation. Family and job come next, in that order, and diaconate comes only after that.

When adoration becomes a "Commitment" instead of a time of personal conversation between Jesus and myself, it has ceased to be what it should. Balance is so difficult. For me, spiritual pride is an enemy.

Praying with your kids... do you know how rare and special that is?

-Tim-

The only time slot that we were able to be consistent about was right after work for my husband - don't even come, just go start to adoration. Like your time, it was popular and there were usually many other people than us as the committed adorers.

Seasons of life change and we had to give up our committed time almost a year ago. I am praying the as this new school years starts with new schedules for everyone, we will be able to find another time we can commit to.

Adoration is truly wonderful!

You see commitment differently than I do, apparently. I see commitment as deep and powerful. I don’t have any problem with your Abps advice; I don’t see a conflict there.

Yes, I know how important it is to pray with your children! If taking time to pray with your children caused you to forget to go to Adoration, personally, I’d think it was your angel reordering your priority for that moment. I was blessed to be brought up with the family Rosary, back in the day.

[quote="redletters, post:11, topic:295690"]
You see commitment differently than I do, apparently. I see commitment as deep and powerful. I don't have any problem with your Abps advice; I don't see a conflict there.

[/quote]

You really have no idea about anyone's level of commitment to Christ and his Church.

There are many people these forums who are discerning the call to give their lives to Christ in the priesthood, diaconate and to lifelong celibacy. There are consecrated religious on these forums, people who have given their lives to Christ and his Church - Franciscan Friars and Dominican Sisters - people who pray seven hours a day for you and for me. One of the regulars here on CAF is made his solemn vows as a Carmelite Brother this very morning.

Archbishop Wilton Gregory's views on the Diaconate are more than his opinions or just his advice. Archbishop Gregory wrote the National Directory for the Formation, Life and Ministry of Permanent Deacons in the United States when he was President of the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops. The USCCB has been looking to impliment the directives in that document uniformly across all diocese in the United States to the extent that it is possible. He is on the cutting edge of diaconate formation and use of the diaconate in the daily life of the Church.

This isn't about you and me and how deep our level of commitment is to Christ and his Church. .

-Tim-

You’re the one who had a problem with the word commitment, Tim. I’m going to trust that you didn’t mean to sound so judgmental, dismissive, and arrogant.

I’m new to this forum, but not to the church, nor the NCCB, nor a life of service to God and God’s people. You know nothing about me.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.