I forgot to mention a sin in confession!

I went to Confession earlier today, and I made a general confession. I had written a list of sins to confess, read through it, and then the priest made a few comments/suggestions and absolved me.

While he was making some comments, before the absolution, I remembered a sin that I had forgotten to include on my list. I could have interrupted him, I suppose, and included that sin. (I’ve actually done this in the past.) I didn’t want to interrupt the priest, though, as it seemed kind of rude. I may also not have wanted to interrupt the priest due to embarrassment over the sin, but I feel embarrassed every time I confess and I definitely would have mentioned it had I remembered to include it on my list.

I’m not positive that it was a mortal sin, but I thought that it was serious enough that I should mention it in confession. I may have also already confessed it at a previous valid confession, but I can’t remember that for sure. (I’ve made a handful of unintentionally not-thorough and invalid confessions in the past, which is why I decided to do a general confession.) Basically, I slapped someone when I was really angry - I didn’t put them in the hospital or anything like that, but I did cause them some temporary pain.

I have read several posts in regards to this situation, but was not able to find a description of my exact situation. Should I have interrupted the priest before he absolved me? Is this confession invalid?

I would say the confession is valid and you were absolved. I would just bring it up to the priest at your next confession. Just ask him if you were forgiven then and if you should interrupt him if this happens again. Maybe other members with more experience have some insight on this? I don’t want to give you incorrect information.

[quote="Isabelle2012, post:2, topic:291928"]
I would say the confession is valid and you were absolved. I would just bring it up to the priest at your next confession. Just ask him if you were forgiven then and if you should interrupt him if this happens again. Maybe other members with more experience have some insight on this? I don't want to give you incorrect information.

[/quote]

I agree - good advice.

It was mentioned once to me by a priest 'going to confession is not a memory exercise'.:)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.