I found an anti-Catholic tract on my car windshield

Today I went downtown to go pray at the Cathedral (I go there a lot), I parked my car 2 blocks away, I was only gone for half an hour. I returned and all of the other cars I parked around were still there. I saw a yellow piece of paper on the windshield, I thought it was a ticket because my car was the only one with it. Then I chuckled when I found out it is Baptist tract. Someone must have been watching me go in the Cathedral, or someone peered into my car and saw that on my visor I had a St. Raphael the Archangel and a St. Christopher clip. I am almost honored that I was narrowed out, that means I am presenting myself as a devout orthodox Catholic. :smiley: Now I am going to include in this thread the tract that was on my windshield. I want to refute this, but with help. If someone want to use scripture, make sure it is the King James Version, that’s the version the tract quotes. Also I would like to have as many quotes from the Church Fathers on the sacramental nature of baptism and baptismal regeneration, thank you.

‘YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN!

THERE ARE NO EXCEPTIONS!!

**“Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and *of *the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.” – John 3:3-7. **Jesus said, YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN! Have you been born again?

In verse 5, Jesus says, “born of water and of the Spirit”, and verse 6, he says, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit”. The water in verse 5 is the flesh in verse 6. It is your physical birth (water in womb- reference verse 4), and it has nothing to do with water baptism like some people teach. The Holy Spirit gives the second birth by quickening your dead spirit through Jesus Christ (Ephesians 2:1), hence the term born again. Have you been born of the Spirit? Have you been born again?

“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new” - 2 Corinthians 5:17**. **Have you been put in Christ? Are you a new creature? Have you been born again?

**“But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.” John 1:12-13. **Have you been born of God? Have you been born again?

Do you want to see the kingdom of God? Do want to go to heaven? Do you want to be in Christ? Do you want to be a son of God? The, YE MUST BE BORN AGAIN!

Friend, you will either be born twice and die once (1 Peter 1:23), or you will be born once and die twice (Revelation 20:13-14). Which will it be? Eternal life or eternal damnation (Matthew 25:46)? “How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation…” Hebrews 2:3

HOW TO BE BORN AGAIN AND RECEIVE ETERNAL LIFE!

You must be born again, you must be born of God. This is done by receiving the Lord Jesus Christ as your personal Saviour (John 1:12-13) “For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”-Romans 10:13.

“And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.”-John 10:28

In your own words, confess to God that you are a sinner (Romans 3:23) and ask Him to save you.

A simple prayer like this: Dear Lord Jesus, I know that I am a sinner, and I don’t want to go to hell. PLEASE save my soul and wash me with your precious blood. Thank you for dying for me and saving my soul please sign the tract and mail it to us.

Name:_____________________________________________________

Address:___________________________________________________’

This is from Tract Ministry, I am refraining from putting the address down because it is personal information.

Lol, that’s great!

Here are some of the ECF, (I will get back to you with the Bible quotes soon!):

staycatholic.com/ecf_baptism.htm

catholic.com/library/sacraments.asp (there are a few hyperlinks here with regards to baptism.)

I would have laughed even more if a bird had “found” it before you did! :smiley:

Alan

[quote=E.E.N.S.]Lol, that’s great!

Here are some of the ECF, (I will get back to you with the Bible quotes soon!):

staycatholic.com/ecf_baptism.htm

catholic.com/library/sacraments.asp (there are a few hyperlinks here with regards to baptism.)
[/quote]

I LOVE that quote from St. Justin Martyr, it dates back to 151 AD and what do you know, he quotes John Chapter 3!!! But his interpretation is the same interpretation as the Catholic Church!

"Justin Martyr

As many as are persuaded and believe that what we [Christians] teach and say is true, and undertake to be able to live accordingly, and instructed to pray and to entreat God with fasting, for the remission of their sins that are past, we pray and fast with them. Then they are brought by us where there is water and are regenerated in the same manner in which we were ourselves regenerated. For, in the name of God, the Father… and of our Savior Jesus Christ, and of the Holy Spirit [Matt. 28:19], they then receive the washing with water. For Christ also said, “Unless you are born again, you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven” (First Apology 61 A.D. 151])."

. If someone want to use scripture, make sure it is the King James Version, that’s the version the tract quotes.

Ironic, is it not? A Baptist apologist INSISTING on using an apostate Church of England (Anglican) version of the bible.
It is also ironic that a BAPTIST never mentions baptism to be saved!
They have no shame!
Just sign it. There is nothing explicitly anti-catholic except by omission. Send it in, ask for his Email to keep in touch, then give it to us :thumbsup:…we LOVE email campaigns !
Then when we’re done with it, we send it to a few Church-of-Christ preachers!

Those lovely people littered our cars with their little flyers while we were at mass one time. A similar thing happened to our host, Karl Keating … Catholic Answers is the result.

A similar experience with me caused me to read Karl Keating’s book Catholicism and Fundamentalism and I’ve been hooked on Catholic Apologetics ever since.

I can honestly say that Jack Chick made me a better Catholic. :smiley:

May you suffer a similarly happy fate! :thumbsup:

[quote=Psalm45:9]Today I went downtown to go pray at the Cathedral (I go there a lot), I parked my car 2 blocks away, I was only gone for half an hour. I returned and all of the other cars I parked around were still there. I saw a yellow piece of paper on the windshield, I thought it was a ticket because my car was the only one with it. Then I chuckled when I found out it is Baptist tract. Someone must have been watching me go in the Cathedral, or someone peered into my car and saw that on my visor I had a St. Raphael the Archangel and a St. Christopher clip. I am almost honored that I was narrowed out, that means I am presenting myself as a devout orthodox Catholic. :smiley: Now I am going to include in this thread the tract that was on my windshield. I want to refute this, but with help. If someone want to use scripture, make sure it is the King James Version, that’s the version the tract quotes. Also I would like to have as many quotes from the Church Fathers on the sacramental nature of baptism and baptismal regeneration, thank you.
[/quote]

This is exactly how Karl Keating, founder of Catholic Answers, got his start in the apologetics field. Someone placed an anti-Catholic tract on his windshield at work, he responded and – viola’! An apologetics ministry was born.

(Which raises the question: if there were no car windshields, would there be no anti-Catholics? :hmmm: …but I digress)

Anyway, rather than re-invent the wheel, fight fire with fire. Find out where this poor soul goes to church and blanket the vehicles there with your own pro-Catholic tracts, found here:

grottopress.org/Tracts/tracts.html

[quote=Psalm45:9]Today I went downtown to go pray at the Cathedral (I go there a lot), I parked my car 2 blocks away, I was only gone for half an hour. I returned and all of the other cars I parked around were still there. I saw a yellow piece of paper on the windshield, I thought it was a ticket because my car was the only one with it. Then I chuckled when I found out it is Baptist tract. Someone must have been watching me go in the Cathedral, or someone peered into my car and saw that on my visor I had a St. Raphael the Archangel and a St. Christopher clip. I am almost honored that I was narrowed out, that means I am presenting myself as a devout orthodox Catholic. :smiley: Now I am going to include in this thread the tract that was on my windshield. I want to refute this, but with help. If someone want to use scripture, make sure it is the King James Version, that’s the version the tract quotes. Also I would like to have as many quotes from the Church Fathers on the sacramental nature of baptism and baptismal regeneration, thank you.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t get too upset. It sounds like this person at least believes implicitly that faith without works is dead, however misguided he may be in his understanding of Jesus’ teaching through his Church. James has been trying to convince us all of that for years: James 2:14 and on. Congratulate your friend on his implicit discovery of this teaching.

Perhaps you can mention that you were indeed baptized when you received that sacrament in the Church, and explain Catholic teaching on this sacrament. You can end by complimenting them on their beautiful prayer and tell them you plan on saying it often and share with them a similar act of contrition you say every time you go to the sacrament of reconciliation.

Every year my kids come back from trick-or-treating with at least one Jack Chick tract in their sacks.

Talk about scary!

In verse 5, Jesus says, “born of water and of

the Spirit”, and verse 6, he says, “That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit”. The water in verse 5 is the flesh in verse 6. It is your physical birth (water in womb- reference verse 4), and it has nothing to do with water baptism like some people teach

[font=comic sans ms]I always get a laugh whenever someone tries to insist that the water on verse 5 is amniotic fluid. Didn’t know Jesus was teaching Biology when He said that. :D[/font]

[quote=Kay Cee]Every year my kids come back from trick-or-treating with at least one Jack Chick tract in their sacks.

Talk about scary!
[/quote]

:smiley: I remember waiting for my mom in a drugstore around Halloween time once when I was little. Someone had left a JC tract on the shelf, and, unsuspecting young me, read it. It was all about how if you celebrated Halloween you would be tricked into practicing witchcraft and thus would be on your way to hell. There was scary pictures and everything :stuck_out_tongue: I was so scared. I showed my mom and she rolled her eyes and said, “Don’t believe everything you read, honey” and we left. I can’t believe I still remember that.

People leave them on my counter at work sometimes. I rip them up and throw them away. I don’t want any other unsuspecting people to read them and have their minds warped by that stuff…

anyway back to the thread. :slight_smile:

I find these tracts in the most unusual places; stuck in a crevice of a gas pump at the filling station, stuck in a picture frame when I was looking for some in Dollar General…and quite a few I’ve just found on the ground. If there is an address on the tract, I take the opportunity to answer all their questions and correct all their errors (in a charitable way, of course). It’s a good exercise for me to defend the faith a chance to do my part to spread the truth. Once you you’ve answered one tract you can almost use it for all the rest with slight modifications. It’s a simple cut and paste then edit. Never have got a reply, though. :hmmm:

[quote=Fidelis]This is exactly how Karl Keating, founder of Catholic Answers, got his start in the apologetics field. Someone placed an anti-Catholic tract on his windshield at work, he responded and – viola’! An apologetics ministry was born.

(Which raises the question: if there were no car windshields, would there be no anti-Catholics? :hmmm: …but I digress)

Anyway, rather than re-invent the wheel, fight fire with fire. Find out where this poor soul goes to church and blanket the vehicles there with your own pro-Catholic tracts, found here:

grottopress.org/Tracts/tracts.html
[/quote]

Yes, I know that Karl Keating began his lay ministry by an anti-Catholic tract left on his windshield. I want you guys to help me refute this tract so I can put them on the car windsheilds around the Cathedral that have the yellow tract I typed and put here. I want all the people who worship there to know how to answer this.

I feel the same way, from the context it doesn’t seem to fit:

*"*Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again." (John 3:3-7)

In verse 3 Jesus states that we must be born again or we cannot enter the kingdom.

Nicodemus in verse 4 is puzzled because he is thinking of biological birth from the womb.

In verse 5 Christ is speaking about the new birth, which he mentioned in verse 3, not the biological birth that Nicodemus is thinking of. The new birth in which without we cannot enter the kingdom. Making the water mentioned verse five part of the new birth and having nothing to do with amniotic fluid. “Except a man be born of water and spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God.”

[quote=badebop]I find these tracts in the most unusual places; stuck in a crevice of a gas pump at the filling station, stuck in a picture frame when I was looking for some in Dollar General…and quite a few I’ve just found on the ground. If there is an address on the tract, I take the opportunity to answer all their questions and correct all their errors (in a charitable way, of course). It’s a good exercise for me to defend the faith a chance to do my part to spread the truth. Once you you’ve answered one tract you can almost use it for all the rest with slight modifications. It’s a simple cut and paste then edit. Never have got a reply, though. :hmmm:
[/quote]

Somehow, I doubt that approach would have an impact on THIS intolerant tract-dropper:
[/font]TONY ALAMO.

[quote=Tony Alamo]**God told me if I write against Rome, Rome’s evil one-world cult religions, government, and media, and distribute my writings throughout the world that I shall not be destroyed by the devil, the Antichrist, the Roman cult, its government, and its church. **
[/quote]

He’s more likely to rejoice of his “righteousness” in the face of your “persecution.”

Make sure you don’t miss this sweet little literary tome of his: SHALL WE SHOW THE SAME MERCY TO THE POPE AS WE SHOW TO TERRI SCHIAVO?

Caution: do not enter his website until at least one hour after eating, or serious cramps may result. :rolleyes:

[quote=milimac]I wouldn’t get too upset. It sounds like this person at least believes implicitly that faith without works is dead, however misguided he may be in his understanding of Jesus’ teaching through his Church. James has been trying to convince us all of that for years: James 2:14 and on. Congratulate your friend on his implicit discovery of this teaching.

Perhaps you can mention that you were indeed baptized when you received that sacrament in the Church, and explain Catholic teaching on this sacrament. You can end by complimenting them on their beautiful prayer and tell them you plan on saying it often and share with them a similar act of contrition you say every time you go to the sacrament of reconciliation.
[/quote]

I’m not upset, I just want to show the Anti-Catholics in the Cuse that we Catholics aren’t ignorant.

Now that the Pope has tubes in him, he’s saying that it’s wrong to dehydrate Terri Schiavo. Isn’t that nice? Perhaps he’s in fear that somebody might actually yank the tubes out of him, thinking themselves to be “nice.” Maybe he’s also afraid that the world will think that it would be a merciful thing to do because the media, which has been controlled by Rome for many years,1 has always brainwashed the world into believing that sickness, I mean sick thinking, is the way to go. It’s a well-known fact that the Vatican talks out of both corners of its mouth. They will say that they hate war, yet they not only financed Hitler in his war effort, they financed Japan so it was able to bomb Pearl Harbor.
alamoministries.com/content/english/TerriSchiavo/shallweshow.html

Who is this man? A devils word. May GOD have mercy on him.

There are so many passages that we cant even start to count, here are a few I use all the time:
18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Matt28

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved. Mk16

Then answered Peter, 47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we? Acts10

31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house. 32 And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house. 33 And he took them the same hour of the night, and washed their stripes; and was baptized, he and all his, straightway. Acts16
Also if you are putting out stuff for Catholics to read dont forget this from the Council of Trent;

Canons On Baptism (link to page)

**Canon 1.**If anyone says that the baptism of John had the same effect as the baptism of Christ,[8] let him be anathema.

**Canon 2.**If     anyone says that true and natural water is not necessary for baptism[9] and thus twists     into some metaphor the words of our Lord Jesus Christ:

Unless a man be born again of water and the Holy Ghost,[10] **let him be anathema.**

**Canon 3.**If     anyone says that in the Roman Church, which is the mother and mistress of all churches,     there is not the true doctrine concerning the sacrament of baptism,[11] let him be     anathema.

**Canon 4.**If     anyone says that the baptism which is given by heretics in the name of the Father, and of     the Son, and of the Holy Ghost, with the intention of doing what the Church does, is not     true baptism,[12] let him be anathema.

**Canon 5.If     anyone says that baptism is optional**, that is, not necessary for salvation,[13] let him be     anathema.

**Canon 6.**...

**Canon 7.**If     anyone says that those baptized are by baptism made debtors only to faith alone, but not     to the observance of the whole law of Christ, let him be anathema.

**Canon 8.**If     anyone says that those baptized are free from all the precepts of holy Church, whether     written or unwritten, so that they are not bound to observe them unless they should wish     to submit to them of their own accord, let him be anathema.

**Canon 9.**...

**Canon 10.**If     anyone says that by the sole remembrance and the faith of the baptism received, all sins     committed after baptism are either remitted or made venial, let him be anathema.

**Canon 11. ...**

**Canon 12.**If anyone says that no one is to be baptized except at that age at which Christ was baptized, or when on the point of death, let him be anathema.

**Canon 13.**If anyone says that children, because they have not the act of believing, are not after having received baptism to be numbered among the faithful, and that for this reason are to be rebaptized when they have reached the years of discretion;[14] or that it is better that the baptism of such be omitted than that, while not believing by their own act, they should be baptized in the faith of the Church alone, let him be anathema.

**Canon 14. ...

I would say include #2,5,7 if you are pressed for space and size. Remind them that they are bound to these and must accept them.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.