I found Joy ! The tales of spiritual war , will God prevail?

The bible tells us not to let the devil steal your joy. I believe laughter does the heart good like a medicine. What brings joy and laughter ? How did you find joy ?
I battled depression , I was bitter and let the devil beat me down. Steal back your life and show proof of your joyous daily life. Give it back to who it belongs to , God .

3 Likes

The one reliable source of true joy - - - - - - - - -

4 Likes

I remember feeling great joy just after realising that I wasn’t dead.
That may not sound funny and it wasn’t, it was joyful to be alive.

Think Scrooge on Christmas morning :wink:

2 Likes

My joy seriously, is KNOWING that I may possibly one day be in the presence of My Creator, My Lord, My Savior. NOTHING else, even no one else matters more than this. If I didn’t have that to look forward to I wouldn’t even bother. ONLY IN GOD is my soul at rest.

6 Likes

A kitty cat is a good place to start finding joy :cat2:

Or a puppy dog if you’re more of a dog person :dog2:

These bring joy because they are reflections of the love of God. They don’t have to love us, but they do.

The beauty of God’s creation sometimes brings me joy. I always thank God when he lets me see something particularly nice like a sunset or an awesome tree.

I found joy in people that I loved, but they have (mostly) all died; in the couple of cases where they’re still alive, we don’t communicate for good reasons. So now the only joy I have left is Jesus and the reflections of Him on earth.

2 Likes

I love pets. Believe this , they heal too. God is the greatest healer ,but those he may send to us. I am proud of my community. It was a small town. We had gravel and dirt for roads. Crosses as reminders along the way. Today , many are paved. It’s grown too. I found not in a letter , I have grown to love the county. I wish I could give more. I fostered and volunteered in a different county. Very happy to share this photo.

2 Likes

God gave a recovered person time with her family. She fostered some of these after storms. She’s recovered about seven years . She was happy for any time available. That person is me. I have some girls very big now. God be with please !

2 Likes

I am thankful for a wonderful plate of food. I found Joy in little things too.:wink:

2 Likes

For with God nothing will be impossible.
Luke 1:37
Remember that when you’re in doubt , despair and can’t find your smile sometimes.
In time , God brings you things once lost.

1 Like

We all know (at least, we all should) that true spiritual joy comes from the theological virtues of faith (Acts 16:34), hope (Romans 12:12), and love/charity (Romans 5:5 and Romans 14:17). But by their very definitions, these virtues produce also sorrow, for by faith we have to believe in things unperceivable (1 Cor 13:12); by hope we still do not have the things we want; and by love, not only by those previous two we do not perceive and fully possess what we love most, which is God (2 Cor 5:6), but we cannot even follow always the Two Great Commandments of Love (Matthew 22:36-40), never mind the New Commandment (John 13:34).

Joy and sorrow, therefore, are inseparable in this life, like the two lines of a railroad. Whenever we have joy, it is inevitable that we will have sorrow with it too, and the more the joy, the greater the sorrow. But the reverse is also true: the sorrows of this life always, always, brings joy with it.

“Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” James 1:2-3

To maximize our joy in this world, we must accept our sorrows along with the joys. The more we accept them, the more we will feel complete and whole, and thus the more joy. This is the secret of the cross, and why the saints love so much their crosses. And yet like how the lines of the railroad converge to one in the horizon, when we die sorrow and joy will converge and one will go away and the other will remain.

We must, however, remember what joy is. Joy is not a mere emotion. St Thomas Aquinas wrote as much: “And accordingly in the intellectual appetite or will there is that delight which is called joy, but not bodily delight” (ST, I-II, Q. 31, A. 4). He then quotes St. Augustine of Hippo who wrote:

For what are desire and joy but a volition of consent to the things we wish?..But when consent takes the form of seeking to possess the things we wish, this is called desire; and when consent takes the form of enjoying the things we wish, this is called joy. (City of God, Book XIV, Chapter 6)

Joy therefore just not “happens”; that is happiness (“happen” and “happiness” have the same root word). Happiness is effortless, but fickle. Joy is hard work by God’s grace (“Rejoice in the Lord always,” Philippians 4:4), but invincible (“Your heart shall rejoice, and your joy no one takes from you,” John 16:22).

Joy is mandatory for Christians (1 Thess. 5:16–18), because it is their strength (Nehemiah 8:10). Indeed, as St Thomas Aquinas wrote, “Anyone who desires to make progress must have spiritual joy” (Commentary on the Epistle to the Philippians, 153). And he makes this ominous warning to those who do not find spiritual joy:

“Man cannot live without joy. That is why one deprived of spiritual joys goes over to carnal pleasures.” (ST, II-II, Q.35, A. 4, Ad. 2, Gilby Translation)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.