I Go To Church On Saturday, Does That Mean I Can Work On Sunday? (Need Quick Reply)

I’m filling out an application for a job, and with the available times I want to work weekends to, but since Saturday is when I go to church can I make that my “resting day” instead of Sunday? and work on Sunday?

Anyone???

I gotta leave really quick, to drop off the application!

If anyones job requires them to work on Sundays it is permissable. Some things you should think about before you apply for a job that has to make you work on Sunday. Do I really need this job, or can I find one that dosen’t require this? Things like that. But if you really need this job and it requires Sunday work, then it is permissable.

I understand that if I really need this job it’s permissable… But if I go to church on Saturday, does that mean Saturday can be my Sunday?

Would it be wrong to work on the sabbath day, or can I make Saturday my sabbath day, instead of sunday?

Saturday can be your sabbath no matter what the circumstance. Every week if you want it. Actually if your job is an absolute. Which means you absolutely have to work on Saturday and Sunday then you are excused from your Sunday obligation. If this occurs then you may want to try and go during he week sometime, but this isn’t absolutely neccasary. But in your case, Sat. does fulfill your obligation.

Everything we do is for the glory of God so long as we are in a state of Sanctifying Grace and as long as what we are doing is not immoral/sinful. It is an act of the will to offer up our works to God in union with the Perfect Sacrifice of the Mass, namley Christ, for Him.

So if you need to work on Sunday, maybe it would bea good idea to make a special effort to offer up yourself and your deeds for that day to the Lord.

What ever happened to keep the sabath holy? Six days you can work but the seventh is the Lords. People come up with million of excuses. :eek:

You should check the CCC for this. Here are a few quotes:

Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work; but the seventh day is a sabbath to the Lord your God; in it you shall not do any work.
The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath; so the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.

2168 The third commandment of the Decalogue recalls the holiness of the sabbath: “The seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the LORD.”

2189 “Observe the sabbath day, to keep it holy” (Deut 5:12). “The seventh day is a sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord” (Ex 31:15).

2171 God entrusted the sabbath to Israel to keep as a sign of the irrevocable covenant. The sabbath is for the Lord, holy and set apart for the praise of God, his work of creation, and his saving actions on behalf of Israel.
Go here for more ccc.scborromeo.org.master.com/texis/master/search/?sufs=0&q=sabbath+holy&s=SS

According to Canon Law:Canon 1247 On Sundays and other holydays of obligation, the faithful are obliged to assist at Mass. They are also to abstain from such work or business that would inhibit the worship to be given to God, the joy proper to the Lord’s Day, or the due relaxation of mind and body.

Canon 1248 §1 The obligation of assisting at Mass is satisfied wherever Mass is celebrated in a catholic rite either on a holyday itself or on the evening of the previous day.

There does not seem to be any provision for transferring one’s obligation to keep the Lord’s Day holy to another day of the week. Therefore, if you must work on Sunday, keep holy those parts of the Lord’s Day before and after work that you have control over. The Lord’s Day can be reckoned from Saturday sunset to Sunday sunset.

My understanding is that the whole Saturday Vigil tradition goes back to how the Sabbath starts on Friday evening, the day before the Jewish Sabbath. This tradition was passed on to the Christians who dispensed on going on Sunday because they already went on Saturday night which is technically the Sabbath. Unless your job is necessary to society…Policemen, Firemen, Pipeline Gas controller, ect… then you need first to do all you can to find a job that does not make you work on Sunday. And to your question unless you meet these requirements you still need to try to keep the Holy Day sacred by abstaining from servile work.

Can anyone correct me if I’m wrong? I would talk to your priest beforehand.

[quote=Steven87]I’m filling out an application for a job, and with the available times I want to work weekends to, but since Saturday is when I go to church can I make that my “resting day” instead of Sunday? and work on Sunday?
[/quote]

If you go to mass on Saturday, it is still Sunday that is the day of rest. I’ve asked a priest that before myself. I assume he answered me correctly. Avoid shopping and labor on Sunday.

[quote=Steven87]I’m filling out an application for a job, and with the available times I want to work weekends to, but since Saturday is when I go to church can I make that my “resting day” instead of Sunday? and work on Sunday?
[/quote]

Try to find a job that will not cause you to break Gods Law.What good is it to gain the world and lose your soul. :eek: God Bless

this was an answer that ewtn experts gave to this question…From the Catechism of the Catholic Church 2185, “Family needs or important social service can legitimately excuse from the obligation of Sunday rest. The faithful should see to it that legitimate excuses do not lead to habits prejudicial to religion, family life, and health.”

Your family responsibilities seem to require you to practice your profession on Sunday, but I would avoid filling the spare 1/2 hour with menial work. The “sabbath rest” isn’t an arbitrary command. We need it, or as much of it as we can get. In order not to waste the time fretting over which you should do, some chore around the house, or something restful to soul and body (prayer, spiritual reading, or a short nap), you should rule out unnecessary chores on Sunday. It sounds like you’re driving yourself, and that can have undesirable consequences down the road for the whole family. As for the lawn, couldn’t your kids help with that

If you go to mass on Saturday, it is still Sunday that is the day of rest. I’ve asked a priest that before myself. I assume he answered me correctly. Avoid shopping and labor on Sunday.

That would have been great to know before I sent in my application… Why am I getting conflicting answers?

I have my only un-available day as Saturday marked down on my application! and not Sunday… Great!

So Saturday can’t be used as my resting day?

The Saturday evening mass is considered a “vigil” mass, that anticipates (inaugurates) the Sabbath. Many of our great feasts such as Christmas and Easter have a vigil mass which means to keep watch and rest from that evening through the next day.

As such, a vigil mass must not be celebrated earlier in the afternoon (I think the cut-off is around 5:00). So the Sunday rest begins at 5 PM during the vigil, not 8 AM for the whole of Saturday.

In terms of the rules - if your job requires you to work on Sunday then it is not breaking the rules to work on Sunday. Some jobs need to be done on Sundays anyway.
You are not required to take a different day of rest if you do have to work on Sunday.
However, you do have to go to mass every week still (either Saturday vigil or Sunday).

In terms of what’s good for you - The Sabbath was made for man not man for the Sabbath. God knows what’s best for us, He knows we need a day of rest every week (that’s why He made the rule). Even though you’re not required to take Saturday as a day of rest, it would probably be good to do that if you could - for your own sake. But don’t worry if you can’t, it’s not going to offend God.

In terms of ‘Spokenword’ - He is a non-denominational, so don’t listen to him if you want a Catholic answer.

Well I did tell one employer that if they insisted I work Sunday that I would leave my job, so they accommadated.
Another job insisted we work Sunday, so I crunched up the application form and binned it.

There are certain jobs that we have to do on Sunday, nurses, doctors etc: but the ones I’m talking about operated on pure greed.

So I have to follow my conscience, growing up and being taught the faith in the 60’s it said we are to rest from unnecessary servile work.
Ask yourself is this job the only choice, is it obsoloutly necessary, is there any other option ?

[/quote]

From Chapter 2 of the Gospel of Mark

"As he was passing through a field of grain on the sabbath, his disciples began to make a path while picking the heads of grain.
24 At this the Pharisees said to him, “Look, why are they doing what is unlawful on the sabbath?” 25 He said to them, “Have you never read what David did 15 when he was in need and he and his companions were hungry? 26 How he went into the house of God when Abiathar was high priest and ate the bread of offering that only the priests could lawfully eat, and shared it with his companions?” 27 Then he said to them, “The sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath. 28 17 That is why the Son of Man is lord even of the sabbath.” It seems that a person may do what is necessary to meet their daily needs even on the sabbath. There is none here except yourself who can decide for certain if the need is real enough in your life to accept the job. I would say that, without being 100% sure that you “need” the job (the need should be real but not necessarily desperate) you could accept it and evaluate your relationship with God on an ongoing basis (with outside help if desired) and later decide to keep or to leave the job as the Lord leads you. The one decision you make to accept the job will not, by itself, result in either everlasting life or eternal punishment

peace

-Jim

Your requirement to keep the Lord’s day holy and to fulfill your Sunday Mass obligation, and the law of the church to avoid unnecessary work is the same as the rest of us. The new Mass rules allow you to fulfill your Sunday obligation at the Saturday vigil Mass (not earlier in the day), but do not change the obligation to observe the day of rest.

You may attend Mass at any time that fulfills your obligation, but you still have to keep the Lord’s day holy. For preference don’t take a job that requires Sunday work, but if the job is a type that has rotating days-nurse, public safety, retail etc. just make it known at the time of the interview that you must have time for Church. In your area you can probably find a Mass on Saturday evening, Sunday morning, or Sunday evening without too much trouble if yo are in an urban area.

Is Gods Law different for catholics? :eek: God Bless

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.