I got afraid

Dear friends.
I did not know quite where or how to post this. Its a sermon I came across “by chance” on godtube (when youtube suddenly broke down today)…

I never heard preaching quite like this before. While I sat there I felt like I was nailed to the spot. My mouth was open. Tears welled up in my eyes. I knew that he was telling the Truth…
What church he speaks in matters little to me.
He preaches on the Word of God. And I felt convicted- I got afraid.

godtube.com/view_video.php?viewkey=19fd9c84c942a08316e0

I wish I could post it on all the other fora too… for I think its urgent and I would that I could share it with everyone.

In all honesty… I imagine that John the Baptist sounded quite like this young man.
I’d like to hear your responses … but solely about his words and message… not about his church, his shirt, his tone or anything else.

Please…

The preacher spoke of self-examination, which is interesting because the Church has always taught that we should examin our consciences every night.

He also said that we are born “utterly depraved and God hating” this is not correct. We are born with original sin but with free will. If we were utterly depraved we would not be able to choose God.

One thing that I found very good about his sermon is that he basically says you have to walk the walk not just talk the talk. The Church teaches that we can lose our salvation, and this man preaches the same thing. Also he has no respect for what American calls Christianity. I have said for a long time now that the Church is facing a schism when the real Catholics, the Roman Catholics and the pseudo “U.S.” Catholics will split over that very issue.

I have often thought that preaching today has needed much more focus on the eternal damnation that looms over everyone’s head. More exposure of hollow works done, not out of love of God, but out of an ethic of self-aggrandizement or obligation. Enough with the incessant repetition about a God who is Love! Great crowds of people will chant this very thing on their self-indulgent journey to Hell.

I agree with your post, with the exception that I don’t think the Church teaches that we can “lose” salvation. We can fall from a state of grace, by our own choices, and fail to attain the salvation for which we have been sealed in baptism. But to say something is “lost” that has not yet arrived is misleading to OSAS people.

He seems to be talking a lot about himself in the beginning. I don’t feel that he is speaking from his heart but he sounds rehearsed. I don’t trust his motives, so I will not listen to him.

Paul David Washer…

Bio

Paul Washer became a believer while attending the University of Texas studying to become an oil and gas lawyer. He completed his undergraduate studies and enrolled at Southwestern Theological Seminary where he received his Master of Divinity degree. Paul left the states shortly after graduation as a North American missionary to Peru.
[FONT=Arial][size=2]
Paul ministered as a missionary in Peru for 10 years, during which time he founded the HeartCry Missionary Society to support Peruvian Church planters. HeartCry’s work now supports over 80 indigenous missionaries in 15 different countries throughout Eastern Europe, South America, Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.

An itinerant preacher, Paul also frequently teaches at his home church, First Baptist Church of Muscle Shoals, and is the author of The One True God: A Biblical Study of the Doctrine of God.

At the present, Paul serves as the Director of HeartCry Missionary Society and resides in Muscle Shoals, Alabama with his wife Charo and two sons Ian and Evan, and one daughter Rowan.[/size] [/FONT]

Note that he denies OSAS?

Our church is the First Baptist Church of Muscle Shoals, Alabama. It is a Southern Baptist Church concerned with the restoration of the true Gospel and the biblical principles that ought to govern the local church

I don’t think I like it as much as some of you seem to.

I’d prefer someone like St. Francis of Assisi, or St. Francis de Sales, or best of all this sermon.
A Sermon by Saint Leonard of Port Maurice

Hey CM.
Thanks for the aditional information about Washer. I judge a message by the words, not by what church he belongs to or what he does not belong to.
I definately felt inspired by his words and they seized me in a way that I havent been seized in a long time. To me he seemed genuine… but again its not about him but about his words. I am sorry to say it but I never heard such preaching before with this kind of seriousness… and I have been in and continue to attend different churches… I love the pentecostals in the way they preach … its very uplifting and its great because we need the love and salvation-message as a foundation… And I have heard some wonderful biblical preaching from a few Catholics too (unfortunately its not very often in my time as a Catholic) …
But of all the sermons I have heard repentance and hell are hardly ever mentioned :frowning:

For obvious reasons I havent heard the saints francis’ preaching and to me preaching is also much more than reading words in a book… :slight_smile: Anyway these vererable men are long gone… can you please direct me to the most powerful Catholic preachers in Europe today… I’d love to hear them. Unfortunately I know quite a lot of contemporary Evangelical preachers who are great but I hardly ever hear of a Catholic one whose reputation as a preacher travels across borders. I think if I did I could distribute such sermons to Evangelical friends and they could benefit from them.

At any rate… I found this guy really inspiring. And maybe over there in America his kind is not rare… but where I am it sure is:)

Katy… hm… would you have listened to him if he were Catholic though? Not to answer that… just to meditate on…
I think that a preacher who has nothing to say about him self in his preaching often is not very convincing in his preaching and message… But maybe that’s a matter of taste.
I did not even notice that Washer mentioned himself but once.

Anyway … thanks for sharing your oppinion everyone… I posted it because I was enthusiastic about it and wanted to share :thumbsup:

There’s no law against Protestants being tremendous and inspiring preachers. There are too many to list.

The Catholic Church also has its preachers of jaw-dropping power… unfortunately, usually not at your local parish.

Some of the false preachers Paul describes in the letters to the Corinthians were very charismatic as well. We must be careful in discernment—Truth is Truth, no matter how dull the packaging may be.

I am reminded of the saint who, not being very eloquent or learned, converted a prince simply by popping by uninvited every day and repeating “God loves you!” to him.

Or of the saint who could not give a homily to save his life, but who had such boundless ability as a confessor that he would fulfill this duty around the clock for days on end.

Perusing Butler’s Lives of the Saints may help.

I see this guy “missioned” in Peru.

That tells me a lot. Does anyone else smell a set-up here? This board isn’t really to be used to puff non-Catholic ministers.

This is a guy who decides to “mission” in a country with far more practising Christians than his homeland. The only thing is, they are Catholics.

I distrust “missionaries” whose “mission” is to try to convert Catholics to some sect or other. - usually anti-catholic. If he’s really interested in bringing people to Jesus, why not do as catholic missionaries do and go and preach to atheists or to pagans or Muslims? Of course the latter tend to be far tougher propositions, and a degree of sufering or even martyrdom might become involved.

Would you consider his words and his message or would you stare your self blind on the man’s background?

I don’t smell any “set up”… but hey… I’d be the one setting it up so I probably would not admit it…
. One of my preacher friends, a Pentecostal, is going to South America soon to have some Evangelistic meetings there… he also sometimes goes to Africa or travels around in my on country Denmark, or in Europe. He is pentecostal but I know for a fact that he looks at me and other Catholic friends as brothers and sisters… He just goes out looking for the lost who have never really truly met Christ, whereever they may be and whatever they may call themselves…

But I’d agree with him ANY DAY that there is not any continent or any country or any church for that matter that does not need really great preaching and ministry today… People really are dying in our pews… Its a tough world…

… And John said: “Master we saw someone who drove out demons in Your Name, and we tried to stop him, because he is not walking with us”. But Jesus said: You must NOT stop him, for the one who is not against you, is for you".

What I see you doing Axion is suspect a brother and being uable to really hear his teaching because you are already biased against him… the funny thing is you would probably want non-catholics to hear you out unbiased and just listen to what you say instead of what they think you say and who they think you are…

So… go and work with that.

:thumbsup:
again… I’d like to comments on his words and message… not his church or his back ground or his hair style or whatever.

I would infinitely prefer to go to Mass with poor preacher and receive the Sacrament than go to a thousand stirring sermons and not receive the Sacrament.

Paul Washer is a good speaker and I enjoyed listening to his sermon, he said things that it was good to be reminded of, but he doesn’t say anything that the Church has not taught for millenia (a part from a couple of theological oops he made) and he does not, CANNOT offer the sacraments.

Dear Marsha.
I understand your point. But I think we would all agree that it should not be an *either-or *but a *both-and *when it comes to powerful preaching and Eucharist. In fact I find it troubling that the laity will any time demand that the Eucharist be celebrated every day and be celebrated worthily, but when it comes to preaching the demands are quite low… indeed if they even exist.
People will say like you: "We have the most important thing, namely the Eucharist."
But I ask my self: how can you receive the Eucharist if you are not a believer, and how will you come to believe if no one preaches and preaches convincing at that? These are not my words, by the way, they are the words of the apostle Paul.

Jesus is called the Word that became flesh and lived among us.
I would say that mostly, when people dont understand the Eucharist or when they somehow desecrate It, it happens because no one preached and taught them in a convincing way about Whom Jesus is.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.