I guess my understand of God is this

I mean I see how people with real issues with their vanity (addicted to plastic surgery, incredibly shallow), anger issues, etc need to follow God. Part of me thinks if you are well-to-do person and you can manage your life safely and wisely why need God? When I think of sinners, I think of people with issues. It is hard for me to imagine the little moments of feeling better than someone else are manifestations of pride or that God will actually hold us accountable. I am like really — I could have done worse. I understand needing God in moments of crisis. Why need God if you are perfectly good at taking care of yourself and others? Why are certain sins like heresy or self-sufficiency even important?
Some people by nature have no problem forgiving. They have found healthy ways to manage their stress and anger. They have a solid enough conscience to avoid doing anything vicious, detrimental to themselves or others out of vengeance. They care about other people - charity. Why do they need God in their lives?
Why is it even important address our minor sins if they do not hurt society?

I understand what you’re saying. And MANY people are … “good”.

But we’re not called to be “good” …we are called to be Holy.

If we were made for a natural end “good” would be fine. But we’re not! We’re made for a Supernatural end…eternal life with God. Union with God… becoming one with God! This is obviously not something we can do on our own. It took God’s intervention to reveal His plan, God’s intervention to reveal Himself (the incarnation), Gods intervention to lift up us weak, failing human race…and also remember the scripture

John 15:5New International Version (NIV)

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.

NOTHING! our very existence is dependent on God.

I also suggest for you to look at sin a little more. It DOES have an effect on the person, and on society. It has a ripple effect. Even small sins can. And all small sins lead to bigger sins.

We are really called to a marriage with God. In scripture, the symbolism of the relationship between God and His people that is used most often and is most powerful is that of a marriage. As you know, a marriage takes two (you and God) and that’s why we need God’s help and why God asks for our participation as well.

God bless

closed #3

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.