I had a dream that I encountered the devil last night

Suddenly, a couch began to float in the air, and I knew it was the devil, and I tried to fight it, but I could not. I had ability to cast it out. If anybody has paid attention to my posts, I keep thinking I am encountering the devil, and that I am being pulled towards him, feel like I’m kneeling before him, even when I;m sitting, like I’m creating the feeling in my head… does this point to something bad?

Well, can you think of anything going on in your life that would make Satan himself want to engage you? How do you know its not a demon or some lower form, you seem pretty sure it is Satan himself.

I think I ve dreamed about satan about 4 times in my short life. So yea, not a big deal I guess, just stuff going on your head.

In the past, I saw where you said you had OCD.

Are you in treatment for that?

Very often with OCD, counselors will recommend to ignore obsessions, because focusing on them, even to resist, can sometimes make them even stronger.

Let’s suppose you were having dreams about… a volcano. If you dreamed that you couldn’t get away from a volcano, would you think it meant you were doing evil? No. You would think, “Oh, dear, I’m having some scary nightmares lately.”

Similarly, if you started worrying that a volcano was going to erupt under your feet, would you think it meant you were doing evil? No. You’d think, “Oh, dear, I’m having some weird worries lately.”

Satan is a lot like a volcano. Sure, a volcano is scary. Thinking about it is scary.

But it doesn’t make you in league with volcanoes, and it doesn’t mean that you’re living on top of Mt. Vesuvius II. It might mean that you should stop watching scary volcano shows on TV.

I will pray for you.

I don’t think one can read into dreams too much. I’ve heard we can control dreams to some extent by thinking about those things before falling asleep, but that’s as far as I’d go.

There isn’t any single or definite way to advise you about this.

Think about several possibilities.

Are you subject to intense awareness of the power of the devil? How has this awareness developed?
Is someone in your life (family member or acquaintance) exercising a threatening influence over you, to the extent of you believing they can do you or others great harm?

Are you watching lots of movies or digesting reading materials that are making you highly sensitive to demonic influences?

Have you talked to a priest about getting help through the Church?

Do you frequently invoke the prayer to St. Michael the Archangel attributed to Pope Leo XIII?

Here’s the thing: the devil is real. We all have our own encounters with the devil. Some of our encounters are real. Others may be imaginary and may result from erroneous medication or excessive drug use (in which case you may need to see a physician).

You are not alone. Go to Mass and confession often. Read Ralph Martin’s The Fulfillment of All Desire and the study guide that is sold for that book. Both are available through amazon.com.

amazon.com/The-Fulfillment-Desire-Ralph-Martin/dp/1931018367/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398980533&sr=8-1&keywords=the+fulfillment+of+all+desire

Whenever I have unwanted and bothersome thoughts, or I feel I am under spiritual attack, I immediately invoke the intercession of St. Michael and my Holy Guardian Angel. And it works!

Following is a prayer composed by Pope Leo XIII in the late 1800’s. You can say it whenever you feel you might be under attack. And, just a thought, if you feel the slightest pity when you get to the part of “…by the power of God, thrust into Hell, Satan and all the other evil spirits,” make yourself say it and keep going because you have to keep in mind that what Satan and his demons want is to seek your sympathy, and then ruin your soul and take you into Hell with them, as the end of the prayer says.

**“Saint Michael, the Archangel, defend us in battle; be our protection against the wickedness and snares of the devil. May God rebuke him, we humbly pray, and do thou, O prince of the heavenly host, by the power of God, thrust into Hell, Satan and all the other evil spirits, who prowl throughout the world, seeking the ruin of souls. Amen.” **

And if you’re exposing yourself to evil through any media, including video games, stop. Go to Confession and Communion, turn your life around and help others who might be experiencing the same troubles you face now and need assistance.

God bless you.

Well if you get hung up on it it could be an invite.
My suggestion is every single time you begin to
think about it, switch subjects. I’ve heard thinking
and visualizing the spelling of Jesus name works wonders.
Just in your head slowly visualize and think J E S U S.
Over and over along with just thinking about Jesus.
That is one of the reasons why our greatest saints loved
the Name so much.
Replace it. You want to post about your dream of Satan?
Don’t. Post a reflection on Jesus instead.

Don’t shove Satan out. Simply substitute the thought.
If he is bothering you and it’s unlikely he is he will
give up. The reason I say it is unlikely it is an evil
spirit is they need you to voluntarily consent. There
is no consent in a dream. You can’t give an invite
consciously in a dream. And they know that.
If It is not an evil Spirit spell Jesus’ name anyway. it is a wonderful way to grow closer to the Lord.

I have an old friend, who is a very learned and experienced priest who once said to me something very simple: “The thing with the devil is, once the devil reveals himself, he loses his advantage, because we already know how to get rid of him.”

This is very true. It really is to the advantage of the devil to appear angelic. That may be why so many devils get into the priesthood and create havoc for the Church. They present themselvs as doers of good when their real agenda is to disturb the church and create confusion and doubt. Such priests are duped by the Liar into believing they know better than the Church and they are sent by God to cleanse the Church of its heresy or corruption.

Think Martin Luther, a priest who single handedly wrecked the unity of Christendom, and whose legacy to this day is the continuing spread of that disunity through the thousands of sects that proclaim themselves to be the authentic Church of Christ.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.