I had to put my pet to sleep today

I took my poor little guinea pig to the vet today to get his claws clipped and have them look at a sore on his neck. It turned out the sore was caused by a tumor that had spread throughout his entire mouth. The vet tried to remove it, but broke his jaw in the process. She suggested we put him out of his misery. So at 4:15 pm today Hannity Hogg’s suffering ended. He lived with me for alost four years. I feel so heartbroken, but at least they let me say goodbye to him before ending his suffering.

After I said goodbye, they left me in a room while they did their work. While I was waiting there, I thought about how our Blessed Mother must have felt when she watched her son tourtured to death and hung on the cross. It was the first time I had ever felt her touch me and guide me through something. I’m so sad for my pig, but it’s also so comforting to know that our Blessed Mother is here to suffer with us whenever we lose a loved one.

He was the first pet I owned by myself, so I’m taking it extra hard. Pets are funny things. God gives them to us to make us happy, but then they are gone. I hope the memories don’t fade too fast.

http://www.themeofabsence.com/images/double_h.jpg

Oh, I’m so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved pet!!
I posted a Catholic pet cemetery link once before and if you need it, I’d be happy to post it again.

What a cute little guy. I’m so sorry for your loss.

A couple years ago I had to make the decision to put our cat Chloe to sleep due to kidney failure. Although she was suffering miserably it was still so hard. I brought her back home so we could bury her and I ended up calling my hubby to come from work I was a mess when I got home. His boss thought he was nuts for leaving work because our cat died but it’s very difficult letting go of our fury friends.

I am so sorry about your little friend! Pets really do become so much a part of us…
He sure had a sweet little face. I know that you must be very sad & lonesome for him.
It is wonderful that you gave him a good & loving home while he was here. God bless you.

So sorry to hear about your loss. We just lost a cat and we think it is to coyotes :frowning: .

We have since gotten a new kitten (something we were looking at to do anyway) and, guess what? We named her Chloe Veruct (I think that is how you spell it - the Veruct means ‘crazy’ in German). So her name translates to Crazy Chloe and she can be.
Brenda V.

I’m so sorry! I had a cocker spaniel who was 16 years old when she died. I promised myself to never get attached to another animal again and I haven’t so far. But doesn’t mean that I won’t break my promise, because I just love animals, especially small dogs. Unfortunately, with young children, I just don’t have time to enjoy a pet.

Again sorry!!!

I’m sorry too. I had to put my sweet kitten of 15 yrs down in July. Virgil was my cat, my friend, my companion, and my buddy. It was horrible. I’m macho but cried for 3 days. Wish u the best in yr time of loss.
Mike

I’m sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved companion! I hope that your heart heals quickly.

I am sad for your loss of your dearly loved pet. It is always sad even though you know he had a happy a piggy fulfilled life. Know that his little soul goes back to God.

My beautiful Persian cat is coming to the end of her life. She is happy enough but is rake thin, I can feel all her bones when I stroke her and she has lost even the subcutaneous fat around the eye socket. My guess is she has develop renal failure…I may have to destroy her at the end…she too has had a happy and fulfilled cat life.

Sorry to hear that, I had to have my dog put down as well 20 years ago after it was run over by a car.
His leg ws broken in a bad place high up on it’s thigh, so the vet said it might never heal and was hard to treat.
So sadly we agreed to put it out of it’s misery.

My condolences…I know it hurts…

Sorry to hear it… loosing a pet is always hard.

{{{Hugs}}}

We have two chinchillas, and I see the rodent family resemblence in the adorable face of your guinea pig. I’m so sorry that you had to put him down. If you can, try to clean his cage and put it away as soon as possible. It will be easier for you with that job done. If you can’t clean his cage, ask someone to do it for you. It’s not like you’re trying to get rid of the memories, but just the burden of putting his home away. And if you need to, take out one or two of the special toys or other objects from the cage, clean them really well, and make a little memorial to your guinea pig with his picture in the middle. Have you buried him or did the vet take care of that for you?

[quote=Cupofkindness]We have two chinchillas, and I see the rodent family resemblence in the adorable face of your guinea pig. I’m so sorry that you had to put him down. If you can, try to clean his cage and put it away as soon as possible. It will be easier for you with that job done. If you can’t clean his cage, ask someone to do it for you. It’s not like you’re trying to get rid of the memories, but just the burden of putting his home away. And if you need to, take out one or two of the special toys or other objects from the cage, clean them really well, and make a little memorial to your guinea pig with his picture in the middle. Have you buried him or did the vet take care of that for you?
[/quote]

I actually buried him with his “pigloo” (a little igloo for guinea pigs) and a handfull of his favorite food. I went to my parents house last night and did it in their back yard. I felt kind of stupid being 29 and needing to go home to my parents, but they liked the piggy too and would pig-sit whenever I went out of town.

Thanks everyone for all of the kind words.

We have an igloo for our chinchillas too. They sleep on top of it! And don’t worry about being twenty-nine. I’m a lot older than that and the thought of burying our chinchillas brings tears to my eyes.

[quote=Jabronie]I took my poor little guinea pig to the vet today to get his claws clipped and have them look at a sore on his neck. It turned out the sore was caused by a tumor that had spread throughout his entire mouth. The vet tried to remove it, but broke his jaw in the process. She suggested we put him out of his misery. So at 4:15 pm today Hannity Hogg’s suffering ended. He lived with me for alost four years. I feel so heartbroken, but at least they let me say goodbye to him before ending his suffering.

After I said goodbye, they left me in a room while they did their work. While I was waiting there, I thought about how our Blessed Mother must have felt when she watched her son tourtured to death and hung on the cross. It was the first time I had ever felt her touch me and guide me through something. I’m so sad for my pig, but it’s also so comforting to know that our Blessed Mother is here to suffer with us whenever we lose a loved one.

He was the first pet I owned by myself, so I’m taking it extra hard. Pets are funny things. God gives them to us to make us happy, but then they are gone. I hope the memories don’t fade too fast.

[/quote]

Jabronie, I am so sorry. I lost my Roddy on 10-20-05 and I know how sad it can be to lose a wonderful pet. You have a hole in your heart the size of a little hamster right now and I will say a prayer that you heal that little hole as soon as you are able.

We love these little creatures that God gives us to take care of…and they love us in return. There is a cute saying: May I be half the woman my dog thinks I am…well, may you be half the person your little Hannity Hogg thought you were, in HH’s memory!

Many prayers for you at this time from another pet owner…

[quote=Jabronie]I took my poor little guinea pig to the vet today to get his claws clipped and have them look at a sore on his neck. It turned out the sore was caused by a tumor that had spread throughout his entire mouth. The vet tried to remove it, but broke his jaw in the process. She suggested we put him out of his misery. So at 4:15 pm today Hannity Hogg’s suffering ended. He lived with me for alost four years. I feel so heartbroken, but at least they let me say goodbye to him before ending his suffering.

[/quote]

I’m very sorry you lost your guinea pig. He was so cute.
I had a guinea pig too. They are such gentle creatures, aren’t they?. I loved hearing the squeak, squeak sound she made whenever I opened the fridge door.
My guinea pig died in August and one of my rabbits in september. It is hard to lose a pet.

Gearoidin

I am so sorry for the loss of your little furry friend. What a sweet little face he had. How wonderful for him that he spent his life loved by you. He was a lucky little guy!

And how wonderful that that you felt the love of our Blessed Mother at your time of sorrow. You are right… we are her children and no pain is too small for her comfort.

Peace to you,
CM

[/quote]

I’m sorry about your loss, but how wonderful to better understand Mary and to grow closer to her!
I understand how you feel about having pets and then losing them, it takes awhile, but then you accept it and get other pets with the foreknowlege that you probably will outlive them.
Ask St Francis for help with this. He’s never let me down, of course, the heartache is going to be there, but you can carry on.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.