I hate God...

I hate God, God hates me, He’s not there for me, I’m tired, it’s not worth it, why is this happening to me, etc…

Life is hard. At one point or another, even the faithful find themselves entertaining some of the phrases above, or something comparable. Sometimes it takes all your will just to get through another day. It definitely drains on you physical, emotionally, and spiritually. I don’t think many people can truly appreciate what’s it’s like to be in this state.

That said, if you, or someone you know, has gone through times like this, what did he/she/you do (or are doing) to overcome this?

Appreciate the responses. God bless!

There are times when my intellect and emotions tell me that God does not exist. This is an echo of my atheist upbringing. Not so much that God hates me but that God does not exist and life is ultimately pointless.

It takes all of my will to choose to believe that God does exist and His will be done not mine. Two against one. My will vs. my feelings and intellect. I feel like I am being torn in two when this battle rages on inside me.

Life is hard - nobody said it would be easy, just that it’d be worth it! Stay strong, head down, work hard, keep going! You’ll be fine. And remember, no matter how bad things get, there’s always someone worse off than you, so be grateful for what you have, keep the faith and keep working hard to be a better version of yourself!

1 Like

I heard a priest at a retreat teach that if you feel the need to complain to the Lord, then sit in His Presence and complain respectfully. Then be quiet and listen to Him.

He loves us without limit and desires our happiness with Him forever.

Mr. Lonely!

You might be in a field of desolation. Like a desert or worse.
I know that you still have faith. You still want God to bless us! We certainly want God to bless you too.
Some of the saints tell us that when we are going through this, God is never closer to us.
Even Christ on the cross, called out to his Father, saying “Why do you forsake me?”

I pray today that this period of time becomes one that is shortened, and that you become strengthened through this darkness.

Pax
Marla

Praying to the Holy Spirit to give you guidance, direction, strength, fortitude & wisdom in your time of need.

I think we all have those days.

Not liking God stems from confusion about your situation. Unless and until you either discover, or develop (through discernment and prayerful reflection) a purposeful identity, you won’t be able to put life’s happenings and events into a healthy context.

Each of us needs to take responsibility for our own lives. We must choose, as best we can, as wisely as we can, which are the best among sometimes conflicting alternatives.

I must admit, we all have doubts about our purposes, experiences, and the influences of those we have no control over. Indeed, it can be absolutely baffling at times, not being able to understand how, or why things happen to us, or negative people or structural things occur in our lives, or confront us.

But I will say this. Keep turning to God. Don’t turn away. Keep knocking on his door. Don’t give up. He prevails ultimately. May you find his glorious peace upon you.

A few years ago I reached an all time low in my life and felt completely abandoned by God. I remember one day when I started shouting that I hated Him. I was raging and felt like a helpless teenager. What happened was that shortly after that I got several signs that He was looking after me, he sent me help and the situation eventually resolved itself. I confessed my anger and stupid words and learned to really trust Him.

I think we all feel like helpless teenagers sometimes. Life can be hard. Just hang in there, ask for help and trust that he will get you through this.

Personally, I can neither imagine nor reasonably foresee anything that would make my life “worth it,” at least not worth it to me. I can understand that my life can lessen the pain of others, and more often than not, that’s what keeps me going. As for my own happiness, though? That’s clearly not part of the Plan.

As for remembering that “there’s always someone worse off,” that sort of thinking hardly inspires faith in a kind and loving God, does it?

Mr Lonely, I’ve been in that state many times. The only thing that brings me out of it is the reminder that our Lord and** Saviour*** Jesus Christ used the word “Abba” to refer to His Father, who - through Christ - is now our Father. A father does not hate his children; at least, a good father doesn’t. Why should it be so with God? The Lord’s perfection goes far beyond virtue, beyond goodness, and beyond all mere actions. His perfection and goodness are His very being: His very self. We are cast in the image of His Son, and are being made ever more into His likeness by God’s grace. These are not the actions of hate.

• God neither creates nor saves that which He does not love. From all eternity He plans each individual being, each atom, and each nucleus that exists. The fact that He placed a spiritual soul in your person already elevates you far above God’s other, dearly beloved creatures.

Why don’t you simply rejoice over the fact that your life isn’t worth it? Look at Christ’s earthly life. He is your pattern and leader. According to the wisdom of this world, Christ’s entire life was a failure, and “not worth it”. He practically died alone on the Cross, except for His mother and His closest friend. Everyone who “converted” to His Gospel had left - even His Apostles. He suffered the worst pains to ease the anguish of all human beings in this dejected, fallen world. His cry “Why have you forsaken me” to God is equal to your cry. Just unite yourself to Him, say “I feel worthless, Lord!” and He will show you how ridiculously wrong you are.

Your own “happiness” - whatever that means - is certainly not part of the plan. Happiness is shallow. We aren’t around on Earth to be pleased, pleasured, or petted. It isn’t really about “me”, but others. If you lose all your happiness by serving others, and seeing the misery serving those who are literally starving or freezing to death, then you will understand how empty “happy” is. Joy is much deeper. Don’t give up on God because you feel like garbage. Emotions are almost completely irrelevant to truth.

Thinking about the “serenity prayer” …

God grant me the serenity to accept what I can’t control; the courage to change what I can…

It seems like God doesn’t “play fair.” When I go ahead and get up the courage to change what I can, but things I can’t control are still so bad that it seems like nothing I can do is right. Especially if I’m mourning the loss of someone – who but God could have controlled that? Where is the comfort Jesus said those who are mourning would receive?

My temptation is to conclude that God isn’t holding up His end of the deal, because how can I “serenely accept” something that’s anywhere from annoying to destructive to heart breaking? Or things that are “completely wrong” by anyone’s viewpoint?

So that challenges me to believe that when I persevere and get through whatever it is that’s going on now, that will give me experiences that will be valuable in helping me through times of future troubles. It took me a long time to really start to believe this, but after a while I can look back at the times I was hurting or feeling mistreated and see what perspective on life and love and “need for love” it gave me. Not to mention the empathy it enables me to have for others who may in some sort of pain now, that I have been in the past.

James 1:2-4
“Consider it all joy, my brothers, when you encounter various trials, for you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. And let perseverance be perfect, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing.”

The other challenge is to believe and “know” from my heart, that my favorite verse is true:

Rom 8:28
We know that all things work for good for those who love God, who are called according to his purpose.

MS

Thanks everyone for your responses and insight.

God bless!

I’ve went through times like this. Generally, in my case, it resulted from trying to hide my own shame at my own failings, and trying to avoid taking responsibility for the guilty actions on my own head. I hated God, because I could not hate myself any more than I already did.

The things that have helped me the most in dealing with this sort of thing are manifold, the first is simple, and that’s praying more regularly, particularly the sort of prayers where you have to pray regularly (things on cycles, daily things), because then you will start to be affected by them even if you are initially only doing them as wrote or forcing yourself to do them. The second is to be more mindful of the presence of God, and that’s a hard thing to do, it’s always been hard for me to do, since it involves a lot of slowing down, but once you do that, you can see that God is always there. The third, and for me the hardest is to take full responsibility for my actions and confess them, regularly, to neither despair (as I often do), or to blame God (as I often do), and confession helps properly order that, for me at least.

I’m still struggling a lot with this, and these things are applicable and I do not know if they are applicable to others, I definitely don’t want to give the impression that I have knowledge or an expertise in this area that I really don’t, and if I manage to have any greater insights I’ll share them.

My sense is hating God is actually an important and valuable first step in seeking God. It is actually a strong testament that you understand that there is a God to be hated (and later loved). My response in the “dark night” was long walks in nature, avid reading of the mystics, a Stephen Minister through my church, a 12 step program and I started a mens group. These kept me in the seeking mode until the darkness yielded by God’s grace…

:thumbsup:

:cool:

Our minds have finite capacity. Things become relative to what we can see. When I am in this state I expand my thinking to the greater world and quickly find that I am blessed.

It is a matter of perspective. Perspective needs maintenance.

From the Diary of St. Faustina 1076:
“Write this: Everything that exists is enclosed in the bowels of My mercy, more deeply than an infant in its mother’s womb. How painfully distrust of My goodness wounds Me. Sins of distrust wound Me most painfully.”

Why do some hate God while others bless God for the same reasons?

This is a challenge or a temptation. Just keep praying, why would God ever hate you? You were carved out of his hand, made in his likeness there is no reason to believe that. I am praying for you and hope that God will help you(because he will) while you get through this tough time. Your blessed Mother is also always there for you, a mothers love is unbreakable and unbearable. She knows your struggles and problems, go to her and ask her for help. Mother knows best, please remember. Eucharist Adoration also helps, the Lord is present and lets all creatures in to his mercy & compassion there.

Our All-Holy, Immaculate, Most Blessed and Glorified Lady, the Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Saint Mary pray for us!

St Therese pray for us!

Lord have mercy!

St Anne pray for us!

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.