I Hate Sin!

I “fell” yesterday and now I hate sin more than EVER!!! I cried later about it and realized that I have a more love toward God. I told our Lord that I would contact the priest at my parish and get this handled but later, the guilt went away and I felt rather joy and felt that my relationship with our Lord was back again but that’s not going to stop me from going to Confession this week.

Sure, I have been going to Confession every week ever since my 1st Confession and now contacted Father through e-mail so I can meet with him because I know we have to attend Mass for the Immaculate Conception this Thursday so I better be in a State of Grace.

My gosh, if you’re a person like me, a terrible sinner, you need Confession every single day!

[quote=Paris Blues]My gosh, if you’re a person like me, a terrible sinner, you need Confession every single day!
[/quote]

You don’t need confession everyday. Don’t be scrupulous Paris. We are **all **terrible sinners.
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

Paris,

It is good for you to hate the sin, but you must love the sinner, just as Jesus did.

That especially includes yourself.

Hate your sin because God hates it.

Love yourself because Jesus loves you.

Peace,
javelin

Remember Paris, you only have to confess mortal sins to a priest before going to communion. I find it hard to believe you are committing frequent mortal sins where you think you need to go to confession everyday. Please ask your priest for counsel on discerning the severity of your sins. If he’s no help, find one who is. Yes, we should also confess venial sins, but don’t drive yourself nuts! God bless you!

Even if it’s only venial sins, I take to heart that I’ve offended Almighty God!

Yea Paris blues, your right, everybody needs confession everyday, I do to. I feel like I sin millions of times a day. Remember this means God increases your conscience I suppose. Its a good grace along with hatred for sin.

Also don’t feel guilty for sin because it comes from satan if im correct. God has taught me that the devil tries to get us to despair after sin because we are amazed at falling. i read this out of a book.

Because we rely on our own strength, and are amazed of how we could sin not realizing that we have no strength whatsoever.

If yu fall into sin, do not despair, but hate your sin, and hate allowing yourself to fall into this sin becaue of your lukewarmness, than go to confession and truly try and amend your life to sin no more.

Also keep praying for a hatred for sin, I have to do the same thing. I feel like over the years my hatred for sin has decreased ver much and its not good. So we have to pray for that.

peace.

CCC 1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”

[quote=Eireann]CCC 1857 For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must together be met: “Mortal sin is sin whose object is grave matter and which is also committed with full knowledge and deliberate consent.”
[/quote]

Yeah but how do I know for sure if something is grave when to me it could be venial? I think that’s what gets me scrupulous!

I believe part of committing a mortal sin is that you know/should know that it is grave matter. It sounds like you would avoid a sin like the plague if you objectively knew it was mortal, so I wouldn’t worry too much about your culpability unless you obviously commit a mortal sin.

Like someone else said, it’s fairly improbable that you are committing mortal sins everyday.

We have to trust in God’s forgivness and realize that he understands that we are not yet perfect, and that he is there to pick us up after we fall. He doesn’t just abandon us if we commit a sin.

Although ideally we would go to confession everyday, it is neither wholly necessary or warrented. I think that might be construed as abusing a sacrament.

If you want to beat sin.

Pray the rosary.

I cant believe that every time i pray it (i.e daily) my spiritual life begins to pick up.

And yet, somehow the devil manages to pull me away from it with work, studying etc…

If only we all prayed the rosary daily, think of the glory we could give to God.

In Christ.

Andre.

Hey Paris Blues:

I am with you. I get myself into mortal sin once a week. Unfortunately for now even though I want to stop, can’t. So then the cycle starts, because then I miss mass, because I am in mortal sin. Confession, went once, accepted it, but don’t feel any better. But, yes I should probably be going every day. Not going to happen though.

scared

I think it is important to remember that venial sins can be confessed to God and forgiven any time. A confessional is not necessary. We should be doing a daily examination of conscience and asking God to forgive us for our sins. Once that is done, we are forgiven, and can sleep in peace.

This is not presumption – it is confidence that God keeps His promises.

If we notice that specific venial sins are cropping up again and again, then it is good to go to confession regarding them, specifically, and ask for guidance in avoiding them in the future.

In either case, guilt should not be a factor. As soon as we turn back to Christ in repentence, our guilt is washed away (i.e. we are forgiven) by the Grace offered us through His sacrifice. If God has forgiven us our guilt, why do we carry it still? Trust in Him.

Peace,
javelin

It is my understanding that if one commits a mortal sin, then their relationship with God is completely cut off, right? They have to will and intend to do the sin for it to be mortal and of course, meet the three conditions like it says in the CCC. Right?

[quote=Paris Blues]It is my understanding that if one commits a mortal sin, then their relationship with God is completely cut off, right?
[/quote]

The nature of mortal sin is that it deprives us of Sanctifying Grace. Without that grace, our spiritual nature (given us at baptism) is dead. When is the state of “spiritual death”, there is no spiritual merit gained from anything we do, pray, or say. (That does not mean that we cannot do good things, it just means that we get no spiritual benefit from those good things, just like a non-believer who does good things) Since it is through our spirit that we have true relationship with God, that relationship is “dead” when our spirit is “dead”.

Only sacramental reconciliation restores sanctifying Grace – LIFE – to our soul.

[quote=Paris Blues]They have to will and intend to do the sin for it to be mortal and of course, meet the three conditions like it says in the CCC. Right?
[/quote]

Absolutely. And although the criteria for sin to be mortal is set in stone, the application is a bit grey, in my opinion.

1. Grave matter – What is sufficiently grave for it to be mortal sin? The Church guides us on some things (skipping Mass, for instance), but how severe must greed be (a “deadly” sin) before it is mortal? Only God truly knows.
  2. Full knowledge – You must KNOW it is gravely sinful. Does it count if someone just tells you “such and such is a mortal sin”? Or must you truly believe that what you are about to do will sever your relationship with God? I know plenty of people who have skipped a holy day Mass for no good reason, not truly believing that it severs their relationship with God. Are they acting in full knowledge?
  3. Deliberate consent – You must actively choose of your own free will. Seems clear. But how much coersion does it take before deliberate consent is no longer present? If I feel threatened to do something that is gravely sinful, and I know it but do it out of fear, am I in full consent? Psychological coersion can be very powerful, and it can, essentially, make someone choose evil. Is that deliberate consent?

So, you can see where this leaves room for interpretation, in my opinion.

I believe now that in order for a sin to be mortal, someone must freely choose to do something evil with the intent of ending their relationship with God. You have to know something is serious, know that it will end your relationship with God, and yet do it anyways.

So, to keep it simple, I think that unless you did something that you intended to do in order to end your relationship with God, you didn’t commit a mortal sin.

What do you think?

Peace,
javelin

I didn’t INTEND or even WILLED to do what I did. I have a hot temper and acting cluelessly though I was mad for THINKING I just committed a sin.

[quote=Paris Blues]I didn’t INTEND or even WILLED to do what I did. I have a hot temper and acting cluelessly though I was mad for THINKING I just committed a sin.
[/quote]

Then I don’t beleive that sin is mortal. Ask the Lord for forgiveness and for the Grace to control your temper in the future. If it is a recurring problem, go to confession about it and ask the priest for guidance.

Ultimately, trust that God’s grace will give you power over your sinful inclinations, and keep getting back up and walking in His path.

Peace,
javelin

[quote=javelin]Then I don’t beleive that sin is mortal. Ask the Lord for forgiveness and for the Grace to control your temper in the future. If it is a recurring problem, go to confession about it and ask the priest for guidance.

Ultimately, trust that God’s grace will give you power over your sinful inclinations, and keep getting back up and walking in His path.

Peace,
javelin
[/quote]

Though I did cry about it and felt guilty and told God that I would go to Confession BEFORE Saturday and to recieve Him on Thursday for the HD of Obligation (I LOVE the Eucharist). I contacted Father here in town and he told me if you’re not in mortal sin, you don’t have to come to Confession each time you commit a venial sin. But I didn’t know if I did or not!!! THAT’S THE PROBLEM! I’m stupid! I wanted to confess it anyway just in case it was a mortal sin. I’m soooo dumb!

But I read the CCC like I said and now I think it was only a venial sin. I HOPE.

But earlier, that guilt vanished and felt close to God again. I guess that means it was venial? Who knows.

[quote=Paris Blues]Though I did cry about it and felt guilty and told God that I would go to Confession BEFORE Saturday and to recieve Him on Thursday for the HD of Obligation (I LOVE the Eucharist). I contacted Father here in town and he told me if you’re not in mortal sin, you don’t have to come to Confession each time you commit a venial sin. But I didn’t know if I did or not!!! THAT’S THE PROBLEM! I’m stupid! I wanted to confess it anyway just in case it was a mortal sin. I’m soooo dumb!

But I read the CCC like I said and now I think it was only a venial sin. I HOPE.

But earlier, that guilt vanished and felt close to God again. I guess that means it was venial? Who knows.
[/quote]

If you didn’t believe at the time of the sin that it was mortally sinful, grave matter, it was not a mortal sin.

If you learn later on that something you did previously was gravely sinful, it is not a mortal sin because you didn’t know it to be mortal at the time you did it.

Rule of thumb: Unless you did something to intentionally end your relationship with God, you did not commit mortal sin. (It could still be grave sin for which you need to repent, but it is not mortally sinful)

Peace,
javelin

Also remember that receiving the Eucharist with a contrite heart relieves us of venial sin!

[quote=Magicsilence]If you want to beat sin.

Pray the rosary.

I cant believe that every time i pray it (i.e daily) my spiritual life begins to pick up.

And yet, somehow the devil manages to pull me away from it with work, studying etc…

If only we all prayed the rosary daily, think of the glory we could give to God.

In Christ.

Andre.
[/quote]

I disagree with that. If you want to beat sin repent and believe in Jesus the Christ. Beads just don’t cut it. That’'s why the devil claws you back 'cause you never really left in the first place. You put your faith in beads not Jesus.

When you repent and throw it all on Him then you can make your break with sin.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.