I have a couple of questions about the Missal and Pre-Vatican II mass

First, I’m not sure if this is the right Section, so If it isn’t, could a Mod, or Admin move it please. :wink:

I went to a local Junk store and bought what I thought was an all-cycle Missal.
Turns out it was only a Cycle A, 1996 missal.

Anyway, I went back today, and bought a “Maryknoll” missal.
It’s from 1961, therefore, it’s in Latin and English.

So, here are my questions.

1. What is “Maryknoll”?

2. Were there no Liturgical Cycles in Pre-Vatican II days?

3. I can’t seem to find what we call Ordinary Sundays, but it’s divided in to Four sections; Christmas Cycle, Lenten Cycle, Easter Cycle and Pentecost cycle, which are divided into “Subsections”, where it tells the Colour of the Robes, so I guess Ordinary time was originally absorbed in the four cycles, only distinguished by the Priest’s robes, is this correct?

Maryknoll is a religious order. There are priests, brothers, nuns. We had a Maryknoll missal at home, but I don’t remember whose it was. There were all kinds of missals. At school we were given St. Andrew’s Missals. My parents each had a different missal but I can’t think of what they were. Dad’s was very fancy, with a white leather cover and gold leaf on the page edges. I always felt very special and grown up when he let me use it. Sister John Leonard, however, said I was showing off.

I was a kid in the 50s and 60s and I don’t remember or maybe never knew if there were cycles.

I seem to recall my St. Andrew’s Missal from school had the colors listed for every feast. I think I’m too old to remember much more.

Sorry, I’m not much help, am I?

The Roman Rite before 1969 had only one yearly cycle of readings; in the modern Roman Rite, there are two cycles: a three-year cycle for Sundays (and feasts), and a two-year cycle for weekdays. So no, there were no “cycles” before Vatican II, just a single yearly cycle of readings.

The weeks of “Ordinary Time” were simply “weeks after Epiphany” or “weeks after Pentecost”. The modern Roman Rite calls them “Ordinary Time”, or, more properly, “Ordinal Time”, because they are simply counted (“ordinal” means having to do with the ordinal numbers: first, second, third, fourth, etc.), and not attached to any other liturgical season (Advent, Christmas, Lent, Easter, etc.).

Thanks, you’ve both Helped me.
I’ll use it when I go to Tridentine mass, which, unfortunately is not often, because the nearest parish that offers it is a very long drive.
It’s a beautiful small and old church building.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.