I have a King James Bible with the Apocrypha

Greetings All,

I have a King James Bible that contains the books of the Apocrypha.

This is the table of contents for the books of the Aporcypha:

1st Esdras
2nd Esdras
Tobit
Judith
The rest of Esther
The Wisdom of Solomon
[font=Arial]Ecclesiasticus [/font]
[font=Arial]Baruch, with the Epistle of Jeremiah [/font]
[font=Arial]The Song of the Three Holy Children[/font]
[font=Arial]The History of Susanna[/font]
[font=Arial]Bel and the Dragon[/font]
[font=Arial]The Prayer of Manasses[/font]
[font=Arial]1st Maccabees[/font]
[font=Arial]2nd Maccabees[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Are these the same books found in the Catholic Bibles?[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Thanks and God Bless,[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial]Nelson[/font]

With the possible exception of the Prayer of Manassas and the Song of the Three Children, and posssiby Esdras all are in the Catholic Bible. Ecclesiasticus is sometimes listed as the Book of Sirach, Susanna and Bel and the Dragon are a part of Daniel, Wisdom of Solomon is simply called Wisdom. The Prayer of Manassas and Song of the Three Children may be rolled into one of the other books, but I don’t know that. There is a 1 and 2 Ezra that is listed as one book. These may correspond to 1 and 2 Ezdra, but that needs checking.

[quote=DaMaMaXiMuS]Greetings All,

1st Esdras
2nd Esdras
Tobit
Judith
The rest of Esther
The Wisdom of Solomon
[font=Arial]Ecclesiasticus [/font]
[font=Arial]Baruch, with the Epistle of Jeremiah [/font]
[font=Arial]The Song of the Three Holy Children[/font]
[font=Arial]The History of Susanna[/font]
[font=Arial]Bel and the Dragon[/font]
[font=Arial]The Prayer of Manasses[/font]
[font=Arial]1st Maccabees[/font]
[font=Arial]2nd Maccabees[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[/quote]

Many of them are, there are a few extra books that the Catholic Canon does not have.

A REAL 1611 KJV now huh! Cool!

I googled Esdra and Ezra and checked my Bible Dictionary and it would appear that they are variant spellings for the same books which in my American Standard are combined into one book called Ezra.In my opinion all are in the Catholic Bible for sure with the possible exception of the Song of the Three Children and the Prayer of Manassas.

Bel and The Dragon and Susanna are parts of the Book of Daniel in the Catholic Canon. The Prayer of Manasseh is canonical in Orthodoxy. (the Latin Church uses it in some liturgical functions I believe, but we consider it apocryphal.)

[quote=DaMaMaXiMuS]Greetings All,

1st Esdras not in Catholic canon
2nd Esdras not in Catholic canon
Tobit in Catholic canon
Judith in Catholic canon
The rest of Esther [font=Arial]in Catholic canon[/font]
The Wisdom of Solomon [font=Arial](aka Wisdom) in Catholic canon[/font]
[font=Arial]Ecclesiasticus (aka Sirach) in Catholic canon[/font]
[font=Arial]Baruch, with the Epistle of Jeremiah in Catholic canon[/font]
[font=Arial]The Song of the Three Holy Children in Catholic canon (part of Daniel 3) [/font]
[font=Arial]The History of Susanna in Catholic canon (Daniel 13) [/font]
[font=Arial]Bel and the Dragon in Catholic canon (Daniel 14)[/font]
[font=Arial]The Prayer of Manasses not in Catholic canon[/font]
[font=Arial]1st Maccabees in Catholic canon[/font]
[font=Arial]2nd Maccabees in Catholic canon[/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[font=Arial][/font]
[/quote]

Though not part of the Catholic canon, Esdras 1 & 2 and the Prayer of Manasses were, according to my Oxford Bible, included in the Appendix to the Latin Vulgate.

Wow, the Authorized version with the “Apocrypha” is hard to find in the USA. I know in England it is still printed with them. I had to buy a seperate little back titled “King James Apocrypha” for those books, actully in all it cost me less to by the King James Bible and then the King James Apocypha then it would if I bought the King James Bible witht the Apocrypha already in it.

Pretty nifty!!

You sound pretty up on things. Out of curiousity, what kind of Concordance (s) do you have?

Do you get the Sella Maris Book Store catalog with all their first century Christian books?

Borders and Barnes and Nobles both carry the KJV with Apoc books in paperback. It costs new around $20.

Thanks all for your responses.

So 1st & 2nd Esdras found in the KJV 1611 Bible that I have is not the ones found in the Catholic Bible. Anyone know why?

One time I went to the American Bible Society here in New York City and got a chanse to look at Reina Valera 1569 version of the Spanish Bible. I had been looking up spanish bibles that might have contained the books of the apocryhpa, as they were listed in the KJV 1611 version that I have. The Reina Valera 1569 spanish bible had them. But something interesting about it was how it was organized.

For instance, the Rest of Esther found in the aporcryhpa was together with the Esther in the OT section of the bible. So it went to like chapter 12 or 13 I think. The Three Holy Children, Bel and the Dragon, The History of Susanna, are included in the book of Daniels. And 1st and 2nd Esdras were part of Ezra in the bible.

Basically, all the books were not sectioned off apart from the other OT books. So in essence, if you were to look at that table of contents in that spanish version, they would all be listed together. Exceprt for the ones I mentioned above that were joined within their respective books.

Anyone know about this spanish version? I wonder if this is a spanish protestant version bible.

God Bless,

Nelson

Hey gang,

I just found a link with some info on the spanish bible I spoke about. Turns out it was a protestant version.

amen.net/lb/english/rvdream.htm

Either way I would like to ask if anyone know how I could read about why certain books were not canonical. Also I want to know if its considered a sin of any kind to believe in any book not considered canonical. If a person believed in all or just a part of these books would that make a difference as to whether its a sin.

Thanks all,

Nelson

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.