I have a question about Evolution

I am wondering where I can ask a question about evolution. I am debating with some atheists on another site and I really need some help in proving them wrong.

They say the Catholic hierarchy believes in monkey to man evolution. I say they are being ridiculous and spreading lies.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

This may help:
forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=354765

[quote="AnthonySorensen, post:1, topic:283701"]
I am wondering where I can ask a question about evolution. I am debating with some atheists on another site and I really need some help in proving them wrong.

They say the Catholic hierarchy believes in monkey to man evolution. I say they are being ridiculous and spreading lies.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

[/quote]

Wrong Forum (Traditional Catholicism, back bench or the Philosophy Forum would have been a better idea).

Most (if not all) of the Catholic Hierarchy are likely to hold to Theistic Evolution (which could be likened to a form of Intelligent Design), which is a legitimate position for a Catholic as Creationism holds very little weight in the Christian Tradition. Theistic Evolution basically holds that God could have used evolution as to way to enact his plans, and there is no reason to think he couldn't of.

So yes the Atheists you are conversing with are telling the truth but 'monkey to man evolution' isn't the correct term, 'Theistic Evolution' is, they are just defining 'Macro Evolution' which is Evolution on a larger scale, think species-species.

Much of that is not true, but we are not allowed to discuss the issue here.

[quote="Nec5, post:4, topic:283701"]
Much of that is not true, but we are not allowed to discuss the issue here.

[/quote]

Which of it is false? I have read the much of the Fathers and find very little evidence of a doctrinal position regarding creationism, Theistic Evolution is an accepted position by the Church

vatican.va/holy_father/pius_xii/encyclicals/documents/hf_p-xii_enc_12081950_humani-generis_en.html

Within St. Augustine of Hippo, Doctor of the Church, he criticized those that 'foolishly' tried to turn the Scriptures into a Science Book, and warned that we shouldn't form an opinion, lest he be found we were wrong due to our mistreatment of Scripture.

As for Theistic Evolution or a form of intelligent design (or even simply scepticism in all directions) this is this likely position for the Hierarchy (I have yet to meet a Priest or Bishop that holds to creationism) as it holds a greater ground within the Christian tradition.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.