I have a question...

I don’t know if this is even the right place to post this. I am new here, so I hope I do this correctly.

I’ve been surfing around the board, and enjoying reading the posts. There was one thing I am confused about, so here is the question:

What is the “Immaculate Conception” all about?

Thanks!

The immaculate conception refers to the fact that Mary, the Mother of God, was born without original sin. This is not to be confused with the virgin birth (Mary was indeed also a virgin upon giving birth to Jesus Christ and then forever thereafter during the rest of her life).

The doctrine of immaculate conception is an infallible doctrine within the Catholic Church. It is implied by scripture (although not expressly set forth in scripture) and has been a part of the deposit of faith since the very early Church years.

Blessings,

Brian

Here are two links with info about the Immaculate Conception

1. Catholic Encyclopedia article on Immaculate Conception.

2. Pope Pius IX’s Apostolic Constitution Ineffabilios Ineffabilis Deus, issued December 8, 1854.

Thank you both for your responses. You have been very helpful.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.