I have an assignment for you Catholics!

I request every Catholic, whether American or otherwise, to send a letter to President Obama and tell him this (in your own words):

Dear Mr. President,

I am a Catholic, and I was shocked and offended by your speech at Notre Dame. I cannot believe that a President of the United States would attempt to change Catholicism, to tell Catholics that they can dialogue on abortion. The Catholic Church has taught for nearly 3000 years that abortion is an intrinstic evil (evil by the very nature of the act), and as such, it cannot be negotiated with (Catholics cannot approve of abortion of any kind under any circumstances). I hope you will not attempt to change Catholicism anytime in the future. I will keep you in my prayers.

Sincerely,
Nick

I doubt that would work. Something sort of similar happened here in town. There is a college here that apparently has a “beautification” bit going on. Each year the outside statues are changed. At least, that’s what they said at the time. Well, they put up a statue of a bishop with his hat (forgive me, I can’t remember the word!!) looking like, well, a man’s private parts. There was a big reaction to that. But the school left it up for the year anyway. I don’t know what they’ve done with it since, but I hope nobody thinks that this is how the church looks.

Well first off it has been a little more that 2000 years. And I thought his call for moderation acceptable. Yes we don’t accept Abortion but how you address that with parents who are looking at their 2yrd old dying child and are looking for anything that will save him? Jesus never walked away from anyone. Let us engage with as much compassion for the other as we have passion for our faith.

I just sent Obama an e-mail through the White House’s website.

Eucharisted + thank you so much for your suggestion. The other point he made that just boiled my blood was ~ that both sides want to reduce the number of abortions…guess he thought he was saying some profound conciliatory statement when is reality he was showing his ignorance.

I always appreciate your posts! Every Blessing!

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.