I have been declared a christian

And I don’t know if I should laugh or cry.

My Husband was of the Baptist faith…and “Uncle Ray”, who I would describe as a Fundamentalist… has raised his brows at me for six years now…taking jabs at my religion…basically questioning my Christianity all this time…and I have been getting ready for this showdown. Welp…it happened…the conditions had to be just right. Just he and I…because My DH would never have allowed it to happen…

Thank you everyone for letting me practice on here…thank you CAF…What can I say…it was a blowout…I humbled him…in a humble way I might add. I found out a lot about his beliefs…and was surprised to learn that this “Bible Alone” believer wasn’t as well versed at his Bible as I. He actually admitted that he did not believe everything that was in the Bible, after I pointed to scripture that contadicted his belief…this really shocked me…I’m Catholic…everybody knows Catholics cant navigate the Bible :rolleyes: …

Seriously…the conversation was pleasant and respectful, and we both enjoyed it…most importantly, my objective was not to convert…just to gain respect…to be declared a Christian. This has angered me in the past…why do I have to prove anything…why, because I am Catholic…do I have to automatically be on the defense? I easily turned that on him…by using techniques I learned HERE!

AND…He gave me the nod. His wife called and told me that, he too, enjoyed the conversation and that “Ray and I are on the same page”…So I was declared Christian that day. As silly as that sounds to me…I feel really, really good…still a little incredulous when I think about it…

THANK YOU CAF…and I wanna acknowlegde some posters that really, really helped me…just by reading their posts…Mercygate, Ryan L., Mickey, Della, Church Militant…and I know there are more! If anyone wants to add to that list…feel free to add people who have taught you something…these are just the folks that I follow around…reading their responses…mostly reading…not posting…and so I wanted to THANK THEM for their insight!!!

Victory for the hometeam…it’s sweet
Teresa…

P.S…the most important part of course…my husband stated that he wants to attend R.C.I.A. :thumbsup:

You done good!

If you’re up to it, how about posting a few of the high points of the discussion.

Lilith,

Now all you need to do is get him some books by Stephen K Ray or Scott Hahn for his birthday or next Christmas. You may have gotten him just interested enough to listen. :wink:

A couple of things I remember…Some things are lost forever because I was so nervous…I was literally shaking until I remembered to pray for help from the Holy Spirit…

Ray believes that we cannot be good…we are inherantly evil
I explained that we are GOOD…made in the likeness of GOD…That was easy.

Why do you confess your sins to men came up…I whisked out my Bible and showed him JOHN 20:21-23…and we read it together and I explained that we are commanded to…That was easy too…and it was at this point that he admitted that he didn’t believe everything that was in the Bible…incredible!

Mary was a sinner came up…I explained that God made mary sinless because he would be dwelling there for nine months…I explained the Arc of the Covenent…I could tell he was thoughtful about that…it shut him up anyway

Ray stated over and over again that he didn’t believe in religion…and he literally pointed to his head and said this is my Church…He doesn’t believe that a person has to go to Church…I asked him what the Pillar and Bullwork of the Truth is…he said Jesus…I whisked out my Bible and pointed to 1 TIM 3:15…It is the Church…and by Loving the Church I am loving Jesus…because as Paul said…the Church is the Body of Christ.

That brings me to the most Bizzare belief he stated…he literally stated that Paul was the only good apostle…and called the other Apostles wimps…here I admonished him slightly saying “every word in the Bible is the word of God…and as a Catholic I can say that I respect every word…not having to ignore some…”

Then we moved the conversation to matters of the heart. He had enough of my scripture pointing…and literally said…No…please don’t show me, when I reached out to get the Bible to explain something else…

It was at this point that I showed him my heart…and my Love of God. I told him “Ray…I know that if God were to suddenly stop thinking of me…as soon as that moment happened…I would cease to exist”…and we stayed on Heart matters for quite a while…which was more comfortable for both

wow, I’m sooo impressed. I’m not nearly at the point where I can pull out my bible and go directly to the scripture I need, but maybe someday I will. That was an excellent story.

Great story! I too have learned TONS on this website.

I too used to be scared of Protestant’s “knowledge of Scripture”. But the first couple of times I got into it with a Protestant, I knew a lot more than them!

As inspiration to all the Catholics here, do NOT be scared of a Protestant’s knowledge of Scripture. If you study catholic.com and read these forums, you know just as much if not more than they do. Just like all the lukewarm Catholics, there are just as many lukewarm Protestants.

The most important thing here is to learn is that you don’t have to seek people to show the Truth. From the moment you say you are Catholic, they will come to you. Read your Scriptures, learn them, live in them. Ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Jesus Christ.

That way, next time you are declared “not a Christian” because you are Catholic, you will have the proper defence. And one they HAVE to accept as a fellow Christian - The Bible.

Adam

http://www.medialunchbox.com/emoticons/msn/018.gif

I should have a disclaimer at the bottom of all my posts - I strive to say nothing original. If you catch me being original, please correct me with Scripture and Church teachings.

God Bless you and keep you, and make His face to smile upon you, good and faithful servant. Beware, however, as God tends to entrust much to those who have been faithful with little.

RyanL

http://www.medialunchbox.com/emoticons/msn/018.gif

I should have a disclaimer at the bottom of all my posts - I strive to say nothing original. If you catch me being original, please correct me with Scripture and Church teachings.

God Bless you and keep you, and make His face to smile upon you, good and faithful servant. Beware, however, as God tends to entrust much to those who have been faithful with little.

RyanL

P.S.,
I would also like to thank mercygate, Church Militant, Della, Lillith and itsjustdave1988 for helping my journey

It is so nice of him to admit you are Christian. :rolleyes:

I, too, had that kind of conversation. But I had an advantage - I was able to conduct the conversations over many months. I was also engaging a self declared fundamentalist Baptist. I never got him to declare he did not believe everything in the bible though. - Wow, That’s big. I did get him to admit he could not keep up with me in using the bible to defend my position - and he had attended Moody! :cool: ( edit: I should add that, at that time, my entire knowledge of scripture was from paying attention to the Sunday readings)

The crowning moment was when he not only admitted I was a Christian, but that I was saved. And of course that means I can do nothing to loose salvation because once saved always saved, right? :thumbsup:

Baptists just love to test and criticize and tease Catholics. It’s all in good fun, though: just show them that you know your Bible, and they’ll be satisfied, go home, and watch football.:smiley:

Not only have you recieved grudging acknowledgment that you are a Christian, you have now, through this baptism by fire, become something else – a Catholic apologist. You have become part of an elite cadre of Catholics that are willing to roll up their sleeves to do the studying, risk the conflict, and all the while pray for and show Christian patience and love to someone who may or may not be antagonistic, but needs to be shown the fullness of the Faith.

Congrats, Lillith: Welcome to the Catholic Apologist Corp! :thumbsup:

[quote=RyanL]http://www.medialunchbox.com/emoticons/msn/018.gif

P.S.,
I would also like to thank mercygate, Church Militant, Della, Lillith and itsjustdave1988 for helping my journey
[/quote]

Well…if you have to put a disclaimer…I’ll have to put one too…I say nothing original either…it all comes from Scripture…pointed to me by

Ryan L., Mercygate, Chruch Militant, Della…and if I investigate further…my disclaimer might become a book :smiley:

God Bless you…and CAF

What a great job, Lillith! The Holy Spirit truly guided that conversation. :amen:

No Catholic ought to fear facing Evangelical/Fundamentalist/Pentecostalist friends or relations in such discussions because we have history, the truth, and right reason on our side, not to mention Mary, the Saints, and the prayers of Christ’s Body, the Church.

I too have learned a great deal on this site and thank God for this wonderful apostolate began by a man who wasn’t going to let anti-Catholics go unanswered. So, let’s all thank Karl Keating, Catholic Answers, and most importantly, Our Blessed Lord Jesus and Lady Mary for this site and all it has done to promote the truth with love. :thumbsup:

[quote=Fidelis]Not only have you recieved grudging acknowledgment that you are a Christian, you have now, through this baptism by fire, become something else – a Catholic apologist. You have become part of an elite cadre of Catholics that are willing to roll up their sleeves to do the studying, risk the conflict, and all the while pray for and show Christian patience and love to someone who may or may not be antagonistic, but needs to be shown the fullness of the Faith.

Congrats, Lillith: Welcome to the Catholic Apologist Corp! :thumbsup:
[/quote]

Fidelis…now I’m embarrassed…you should have been on that list of folks that have inspired me…

Thank you…I am a proud Beginner Apologist…
God Bless…
Teresa

Congratulations on being a Christian!

And great, wonderful news about your husband.

[quote=Lillith]Fidelis…now I’m embarrassed…you should have been on that list of folks that have inspired me…

[/quote]

You’re too kind…I’m humbled to even be mentioned in the same post as those others. :o

P.S…the most important part of course…my husband stated that he wants to attend R.C.I.A.

In all the euphoria over your debut as an apologist, this almost got passed over----This is GREAT news!!

that is truly awesome, i love to hear things like that and i also just wanted to post because im almost at 1000!!!

Aw Shucks…what did I do? :o It’s really humbling to see stuff like this, 'cos…well…I just don’t think I’m all that. Anyone can do what I do.

Luke 17:10 So should it be with you. When you have done all you have been commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants; we have done what we were obliged to do.’"

Thanks to those who have been (and still are!) my guides and helps, The Holy Spirit mostly, and all the people He has used, the whole staff here at CA, The Catholic Home Study Service, His Holiness John Paul II, The Catechism of the Catholic Church, The San Juan Catholic Seminars Series, The Bible (with all 73 books in it), New Advent, and the ECF and most especially those aggravating individuals who spurred me home to the faith with their attacks on it when I knew flat out they were wrong. Without your allegations, assertions, and questions, I might’ve missed the unction of the Holy Spirit all together and some of you guys wouldn’t be Catholics now.

I also wanna thank Monsignor Hunt, & Fr. James, Fr Sean, and Fr. John for just being the priests that they are when I need them.

May Our Lord do for you all all that He has done for me and many great things beyond as well.
Pax vobiscum,

Congrats! :tiphat:

[quote=JGheen]Congrats! :tiphat:
[/quote]

thank you! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.