I have had it.

I am at the end of my rope. I pray and pray and pray and pray, I trust I trust I trust. Yet nothing!!! same ole same ole. there are many references in the bible that says with faith all things are possible. Yet I pray and pray and pray, and everyday it is the same ole same ole. nothing different. yet my age gets older and older and older. tempis fugit at what time do you say I quit lay down and give up and not care anymore. I mean I get angry I get frustrated and I ask God to help and nothing. It seems I can get better responses talking to my oak tree that is in my yard. Has anyone been there?? Does God ever answer your prayers ever?? I mean has anyone here have prayed for something and nothing seems to work , and at one point when it seems all hope is lost that it happens?? Does it happen like that?? I am at whit’s end and really about to throw the towel in… I am at the end of my rope. this is beyond anything I ever expected. thanks so much

Perhaps you have some depression and should see a Dr about your hopeless feelings.
Mary.

I’m sorry that things are going so badly for you.

Has anyone been there??

Most certainly…

Does God ever answer your prayers ever??

Yes he has…Sometimes clearly and sometimes not so clearly…and sometimes with insights as to why the answer was no…

I mean has anyone here have prayed for something and nothing seems to work , and at one point when it seems all hope is lost that it happens??

Yes - I recall a time when I was out of work…my unemployment was running out an I hadn’t been to church in a very long time. I went to mass on Sunday - paid a visit to my old company and was immediately hired back - even though they had not been advertizing for help.

Does it happen like that??

I am at whit’s end and really about to throw the towel in… I am at the end of my rope. this is beyond anything I ever expected. thanks so much

I wish I could do more for you…
Something that I thought about - and you reminded me with this post - is that we are all good at asking about God answering our prayers … But how are we doing at answering His prayers (petitions) to us???
For me - answering that question goes a long way in helping me understand the quality of my relationship with the Father - and how much I should reasonably be expecting from Him.

Peace
James

Dear Scoobydoo6v92,
I don’t know what is going on in your life but all I can say is that: it is normal to be frustrated with a situation (s) with our lives. God does answer prayers but sometimes too it may not also be the answer we are looking to ear or we aren’t ready for the answer. I wish knew more to help you but all I can say is that I feel your pain. I have been in various places when I have wanted to throw in the towel, but hang in there. In the end, it is worth it.

Keep praying to God. It is normal to feel God very far away. I have been there and it is very difficult. My spiritual director once recommended me a book called:
Acedia & me: A Marriage, Monks, and a Writer’s Life by Kathleen Norris. I have been reading it and it very helpful. Maybe it will help you.

If I can help you more, please message me.

SG

God **always **answers **every **prayer. Either with “Yes, no, or not yet.”

Never feel like God is ignoring you, He’s just giving you an answer that you don’t like, that’s in your best interest with your salvation in mind.

Its also OK to ask God for the graces of patience and longanimity, so we can see things in a different light or to see things according to His will.

God bless!

THAT’S going to happen anyway, even if God agrees to your every whim. I stopped asking God for things or happenings years ago. All I ask is that I die in his love - whether I am able to feel that love or not.

Just keep plugging along - as far as I’m concerned, that’s faith.

Paul went through the same thing

2 Corinthians 12:7 …Therefore, in order to keep me from becoming conceited, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me. 8 Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

True Faith is when you are at whits end and you have nothing left to give but you still keep on giving and moving forward even when “life” takes you and spins you completly around. A soilder straps up his boots and keeps on marching. Read the book of Job. God test us sometimes not to see what we will do but sometimes to show us something of ourselves that we don’t normally see. But he sees it. Take it from someone who has lost everything… When you get past your trials and tribulations you look back on them and realize no one else could have carried your cross but you. This is when you find the true key to happiness… Accomplishment!!! When your prayers no longer seem to work it is then You may have to humble yourself to accept the prayers of others. In order for one to stand sometimes a person must kneel. God Bless!!!

I agree, I don’t expect God to answer every whim and fancy I ask, but come on how about one thing… I need sustenance and I am running out of steam. I beg and beg, there was a sermon a few weeks back about knocking on the door and being persistent, he will answer. I thank you all for your prayers and responses. I never felt a desert like this before and I hope God either takes me (would be more than fine) or get me out of the desert. Either take me or deliver me it’s that bad. been getting worse since 2008 but it is getting desperate.

If you feel you wish God would “take you” maybe you need to see a Dr and be evaluated for depression.
Just a thought.
Mary.

I think we’ve all been there a time or two. But the most important thing to do is to trust in God always. Even when we think He’s not listening. Don’t give up, Jesus doesn’t give up on us!! At one time a priest told me to read the little booklet," True Devotion to Mary" and she will help me. I did and She DID and now when I have a big (or little) problem I give it to her and let her worry about it. And do you know it works out all the time. Maybe not the way I had wanted or hoped but it does. I look back on my life. and I know exactly what the poem “Footprints” means. In fact my sister gave me a big picture of it many years ago, ( because of all the problems I had in my life.) and I have had it in my bedroom ever since. God is always there, even when we don’t feel He is. Just to give you an idea of what he brought us thru, my first husband died in an accident and I was left with 4 little ones. We had lost a baby boy just 4 months before his accident. Several years later I married again and when our first baby was 5 months old, my husband suffered a heart attack and was disabled at the age of 31. He was not an ounce overweight and did construction work. Shocked the Drs.
He had several heart attacks and heart failure events over the next 16 years. We had 3 more children and lost one little boy too. He died at age 47. Our youngest was 7. I am not complaining one bit, I just wanted you to know that your not alone and God will help you!. God was with me all the way and so was Our Blessed Mother. I could NEVER have done it without them. In spite of all the heart aches and trials, we had many, many blessings. Both my husbands were converts and died in God’s Grace and I am forever thankful for that. I have 7 living children and 2 in Heaven, 12 beautiful grandchildren and 7 gr. grandchildren. How could anyone be more Blessed. God Bless, Memaw

That was based on the Gospel reading for July 28 - Luke 11:1-13. If you look at verse 13 you’ll see something that I didn’t notice until that Sunday. Jesus did NOT say you would get everything you ask for, but "…how much more will the Father in heaven** give the Holy Spirit** to those who ask him?” (Bolding mine.)

Also, if you do get tired of asking, remember what St. Paul said: “…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.” Philippians 4:11

I seem to recall that Mother Teresa of Calcutta spent many years in the “desert.” So did St. John of the Cross. It may be cold comfort now, but the desert makes saints.

I hate when people say that. A Dr. won’t bring me my heart’s desire. a Dr. won’t pay my mortgage a Dr. won’t pay my bills a Dr. won’t cure my Mother’s cancer they are trying and found out it spread to the lymph nodes. A Dr. didn’t cure my friend’s bother’s cancer, I am not mental, I am tired. there is a difference. I am tired of the staleness. I am not saying I am going to end it all, I am saying if God took me it would be great to be in Heaven. You read about someone that has two legs removed and a lung and people say “it’s better than the alternative” Hmm that’s debatable. But I am not going to kill myself or anything I am just tired of the same ole same ole. tired of the bank calling me everyday and I got no where to go, will a Dr. provide my Mother a place to live once the bank rips me from our home? I understand the realist approach. but I am more mystical thinking. and I hope I see relief.

You have a very big cross to carry. Prayer can be stale and seem unrewarding. God does listen. Does he answer? I am sure he does but maybe something needs to change.

Have you sought advice from a Priest? He will be able to help with your prayer life / faith.

Well, I’m wondering myself whether I truly believe, or just want to believe, or just act in faith out of habit. Wondering if I’m just deluding myself. Yet, I keep abiding by the church’s teaching but I can’t tell you if that’s faith or insanity in the form of a desperate denial of a reality where there is no God, despite nothing to affirm His existence.

Christ Himself got in the state of at least His human side feeling abandoned by God. But then, Christ wondered if He would find anyone of faith when He returns. Tough to say. Hard to figure why folks would have faith when given nothing to have faith in. On a practical level, here’s some stuff I do to try and pull through when I’m at that point of wondering why I bother to pray and praise a God who either doesn’t exist, is deaf to my pleas, or has no intention of assisting me in any practical means I can see (let’s face it, if suffering gets us to heaven than telling me no and letting me suffer may actually be mercy and a greater help in the long run than saying yes. Just tougher to believe in Him).

• Work out
  • Take a moment to list positives. Even trivial ones. Ability to see, ability to take a deep breath, a piece of music I enjoy, song of a bird. Try to appreciate what I can.
  • Vent where I can. Journal, on a walk, internet.
  • List problems and solutions I can attempt. Options.
  • Motorcycle rides used to be a big help (stopped 'cuz it stressed my kids)

ETA: contemplate the structure of a single cell of a plant or animal, the complexity and the likelihood of even the simplest cell coming into being by accident.

I understand. I too have been in such a desperate place and so full of fear and loss of faith. I did go see my parish priest and I did start saying the rosary and I do have depression as well-so I understand.

I wish I had an answer for you but all I can tell you is I have decided to trust God and put my life and my will in His hands-the rest is beyond my control-really just about everything outside of us is beyond our control even though we give ourselves the illusion that we do control things.

So I try and take things more a day at a time and not project too much into the future. I am so sorry I wish I had words of wisdom-all I wanted to say is you are not alone.

would you mind telling me your first name so that I can pray for you?

Praying. . .

If I get there, please do the same.

Please, dont abandon God. This is the hardest time. The devil wants you to run away from God. Be firm and continue to ask God for help. He wants you talk to him.

Staying close to God in trying times is the real test of faith. God can see you are wanting his help.

Stay firm. Continue to pray to God.

I am sure he will answer you.

Lord, please help this person in their journey through this hard time. Please help them carry this cross and realise that you do care and love them. Please, in your mercy, hear their prayers.

God bless you

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.