I have hard time getting over idea

As a protestant something I have always loved is i can go directly to the Lord in prayer. I confess sins directly, ask for direction, I can open my heart up to him personally. I have always felt Christianity is a religion of the heart. I think many of the catholic traditions are beautiful, but it seems like it takes away that freedom of worship and heart, because of the focus on sin and what the church says we should do. Can someone help me? :shrug::shrug:

Are you sure you meant this in the Prayer Intention forum? I am happy to pray for you for the virtue of understanding! Whenever there is something you struggle with, simplicity is often best. If you don’t get it, you can say, “God, I don’t get it, will You help me?”

Regarding which traditions you feel take away from freedom of worship and heart, it might be best to post over in the Apologetics forum. God bless you! :slight_smile:

Hi Dylan!
I’ll also pray for you for the gifts of faith and humility. None of us were gathered around Jesus on the Holy Thursday when He instituted the sacrament of Holy Orders yet, faith assures us that it was true. Nor, at the time when He appeared to His disciples on the evening of the first day of the week, after His resurrection and said “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” He breathed on them and said “Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them and whose sins you retain are retained.” Jn 20-23. Also Mt 16, 19/18,18.
Please, refer to the Council of Trent (EWTN Library) that defines this as the power to forgive sins given by Jesus himself to His disciples through the sacrament of Holy Orders.
Please, remember when we confess our sins to a man (priest), it is Jesus who is listening and prompt to tell us those beautiful words “Your sins are forgiven, go in peace. In the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit.” We need humility to accept this.
May this Lent time bring you peace and hope in all the teachings of our Lord and Savior.
Norminha.:thumbsup:

No Dylan, the focus is on love, and we have the freedom to pray from the heart.
What you see is only the tip of the iceberg!
You don’t know the true spirit of the living heart of the Church, which is the love of God.
God grant that you will come to understand. Yes, there are those who are focussed on sin and you hear much of them. But the real focus is love.
May the Lord continue to bless you and to keep you in close loving relationship with Him and with your fellow humans.

Dear Lord, I pray for Dylan. Help him to keep loving you with his heart and with contrition for his sins. Also help him understand that Confession brings such healing to those of us Catholics who go to the priest and receive absolution from Jesus through him. Grant Dylan the understanding and wisdom to see the priest as another you, speaking for you with words that heal our poor injured souls from our sin by the absolution and counsel he offers us through you. When we sin we hurt you, ourselves, and the whole universal Church, everybody. How great it is to be able to have someone from the community, your priest be the one to forgive us from Your heart with words for our ears to hear. The priest is a witness to you that we have sinned, that we will try not to repeat the sin again, and that we are very sorry for having offended you. He will never be allowed to break his seal of secrecy with your approval. Let Dylan know that he will be safe in Confession to confess and to receive the powerful sacramental graces that fill in the wounds from his sin and make him even stronger than before his confesion. I ask all this in Jesus’ Name. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.