I have potty mouth, need help stopping

I really wasn’t sure where to put this topic.

Anyway, I’ve only been Catholic for a few years. In that time I’ve tried to curb the potty mouth. Some of it does rise to the level of actual cursing. I’ve been doing it for 25 years and it’s automatic at this point if I get frustrated or injure myself. I just can’t seem to manage to catch it before it comes out of my mouth. I don’t direct it at anyone else, I’m not using it to call another person names.

So how do stop it before it comes out of my mouth? I need practical advice. I know it’s wrong and I want to stop but it’s out of my mouth before I realize it’s coming.

Every time you slip up, immediately drop to your knees and recite the Divine Praises. You’ll soon stop, it won’t be worth continuing. :wink:

Tell yourself, your friends, and your family that every time you say something bad you will donate $1 to a charity like 40 Days for Life, etc. You will probably stop pretty quick, or be broke pretty quick! Good luck! :thumbsup:

Pray to the Blessed Virgin Mary to help you. Frequent confession will also give you graces to help you stop.

Or this Litany: catholicdoors.com/prayers/litanies/p03516.htm
He won’t swear again! Lol. A little long to recite 20x a day. :smiley:

I have confessed it, but thanks for the reminder. :slight_smile:

Heck I would stop swearing just because I’d never have time to do anything but recite that litany. :smiley:

I appreciate the reminder of reciting the devine praises.

Here are a few Ideas I have heard of over the years:

• A Swear Jar. Put some money in each time you Swear.

• Reward yourself for not swearing. For example, If you go so long without swearing, get yourself something like Chocolate.

• Self-Discipline. If rewarding yourself does not work, try to give yourself consequences for failing to break the habit.

• Turn it into a contest. If you know someone else who wants to stop, the two of you could turn it into a contest to see who can go the longest without. Tally it up over say a month.

Use a big rubber band and pull and release everytime you swear. That will make you remember and it will hurt less than Purgatory!!! God Bless!!!

All good ideas. You could also practice saying other clean phrases that you might use in the same situations. It’s worth the trouble to get rid of potty mouth. My step-father lost a construction job because of his. He’s probably lost others as well for the same reason, but the foreman didn’t say why he was being let go. Imagine how embarrassed he was when he had to come home and explain to my mom why he’d been let go! (And it has to be pretty bad for you to get booted off a construction site!)

Oh thanks, I think having a substitute that is clean and practicing saying that instead would probably be the easiest to start with since my main problem is blocking the impulse to say something.

I’m sorry, I wasn’t clear. Frequent confession helps us overcome sins, especially the recurring ones. I’ve discovered that if I keep confessing a sin, eventually I stop doing it as often, and then sometimes to my surprise the temptation stops! This doesn’t mean I don’t ever backslide, but I’ve found going every two weeks (or more) gives me an abundance of graces to help overcome my worst habits.

You’re getting a lot of good advice here, and the fact that you have come for help speaks volumes for your good intent. :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.