I have scrupulosity within Catholicism/Christianity.

Please Help! :frowning:

I’m a pretty devout New Catholic.(From Protestantism-Baptist)

I am, around 90% sure that Catholicism is the True Church. It Should be 100%!!

I DEFINATELY do not doubt with Protestantism. It’s mainly with two faiths.

Holy Orthodoxy and Islam.

I understand that Holy Orthodoxy can only be proven right or wrong with politics, and it’s quite hard to do.

And then comes Islam.
It mainly deals with the Holy Trinity; which is a mystery of the faith. St. Augustine couldn’t even understand it.
But we see over and over in the Bible that Jesus Christ always thanks and refers to his Father.

A good example is when he goes to the desert and prays to the Father; or thanks the Father for giving him strength… Why did Jesus have to pray when he probably couldn’t?? God praying to an equal God??? Or why did Jesus thank God when he is God.

A seminarian told me that Jesus was doing this in his human nature; not his Divine Nature. But still, it still doesn’t make sense

Please help me! Since this issue has begun, some times, I pray to God instead of Jesus or the Holy Spirit.

PLEASE help me understand this more and let my worries and scrumptious dilute down.

Thanks. :signofcross::highprayer::signofcross:

The Son and the Father are two different persons and thus can communicate with each other. Now, the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are three persons (personhood is the ‘who’) in one divine being (‘being is the what’). Three who’s, one what.

Here are the things you need to demonstrate to justify your uncertainty:

1.) That two persons cannot communicate with each other
2.) That one being cannot have more than one personhood

Obviously, two person can communicate with each other, so that should be no issue. We are communicating right now! But with the second thing, it truly is a matter of faith. There is no good and logical reason to rule out that one being could have more than one personhood, but there is also no naturally demonstrable example of one being having more than one personhood (multiple personality disorder is not equivalent – personality is not the same as personhood.)

If you want to learn more about Orthodoxy, I suggest you speak to an Orthodox priest. I am speaking to one right now and he is not the type who’s trying to convert me or anything. Its not what Orthodoxy is about. But he is always brutally honest with the Orthodox position on everything. And he always ends our conversations telling me that he will love me no matter what, even if I remain a Catholic. He is assuring me that he is not pressuring me to convert. But then I also learn what Orthodoxy is all about.

Well, the only problem is the primacy of Peter with the Holy Orthodox church and Catholicism. In this, Catholicism wins.

I wish I had an Orthodox Church in my town so I could talk to the priest there.

This is why I am not a Catholic, or even a Christian. Way to many questions that I never was able to get answered satisfactorily.

Good luck!

Whoa.
I’m a devout Catholic that converted a year ago. I often feel drawn to those exact religions as well, especially Islam.
I love my Catholic faith, but Islam seems to just make so much sense sometimes. But I think it’s important to keep in mind the historical evidence for Catholicism. The thing that normally makes me come to my senses when I think about Islam is the Incarnation, life, and death of Christ.
Sure the Muslim view of God may be more logical to our minds, but is God really limited to our ability to understand?
More than that, if Catholicim is right- God loved us enough to lower himself. The alpha and the omega, the great I AM became microscopic. Born in the bitter cold, of a humble virgin.
Suffered the temptations we do, and overcame them. Was spat upon and beaten and mocked by those he came to save. Then carried the instrument used to kill him, and was nailed to a tree. A disgraceful death. Yet he still said “father forgive them, for they know not what they do”.
Is that not showing more love than what Islam says God is?

Please,

outline the 10%.

What is prayer? Talking to God. The Son talks to the Father and is a good example. So we know that the Son talked to the Father, if He had not then would you consider doing likewise?

First, scrupulocity is not your problem. Your problem is an inadequate understanding of the faith, which probalby is due to poor catechesis. These questions you have are good questions and should have been raised and answered before you decided to enter the Church.

If you believe the Catholic claims regarding the primacy of Peter and the authority of the pope it is perplexing that you would think the Orthodox Church is an option for you. It really makes no sense at all.

Have you really looked at the precepts of Islam? Or are you simply struggling with Trinitarian doctrines of Christianity?

When I was an agnostic, I think the inability to fully understand the Holy Trinity is one of the defining things for me that set Christianity apart from other religions.

Here was this God that wanted to give you his love, but was almost impossible to fully understand.

Here was an all-powerful god, yet we murdered him on the cross, and for that… he offered the forgivness of our sins.

Our God is an amazing contrast to the gods depicted by other religions.

You chose well to be a Catholic, I would let others that know you in the “real-world” know that you have questions, and they will be sure to help. But be sure to let them know you need help though.

Remember, you have been baptized. I would be very nice to not have doubts and concerns, but that’s not what’s required of us. We’re asked by god to have faith, and that faith is active. It means to put one foot in front of the other and move closer to God, even if you don’t want to. I would like to tell you that this will be easy, but I don’t think it’s easy for any of us - remember we are tempted by this world to turn away from God.

Perhaps, view that temptation as a sign that you’re on the right path.

Why doesn’t it make sense?

When Jesus became incarnate, he came to fulfill the whole human experience. He was here to live faithfully as a servant of God.

We know, according to the Bible, that Jesus, in coming to Earth, he gave up his thrown and became “a little lower than the angels” (Hebrews 2:9). That doesn’t make him less God, but he “emptied himself” and walked the Earth as a human. Praying to the Father, therefore, does not seem illogical, but seems natural.

How many times do we cry out to God in our uncertainties and difficulties? So Jesus did, and experienced what we experience. He lived as a normal human. That makes perfect sense to me. For how else would his holy sacrifice be valid?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.