I have to give a Eulogy for my Public Speaking class. Who should I do?

I’m in college and for my Public Speaking class, we have to give a Eulogy that lasts 4-5 minutes.

The person has to be real and has to be dead. You do not have to know the person, it can be a notable figure.

I was thinking someone religious. Mother Teresa was the sample speech, so I probably shouldn’t do that one.

My advise is to use someone you really knew like your grandmother or grandfather or relative that made a difference in your life.
For example: Who has encouraged you to get an education?
Who was kind to you and made a difference in your life?
Do you have a favorite saint that you pray to?

I would choose someone that nobody in the class knows that person. That way… they can’t say anything that will dispute what you have said about that person.

When it comes to giving speeches it is always best to talk about people or subjects that you know a lot about. You have a better chance of getting a good grade.

I just thought of something… Ask your teacher if you can choose a favorite pet that has died. That would be fun and interesting. My dogs have made a big difference in my life.

My favorite person was my grandmother who was a fantastic motivator and example to become somebody in life and have lots of interests.

Good luck on your speech. Lucy

The problem is, I don’t know anyone that has died. I guess I’m fortunate. It also seems like the speech is oriented more towards tribute and therefore a person you don’t know personally is a good option.

Okay, I think I’m going to do Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should include?

If you want to mention his sense of humor, you could include that quote from the saintly humor thread, where he said, “Hearing the confessions of nuns is like being stoned to death with popcorn.” :smiley:

Pope John Paul II is also a great choice, although I like your selection of Archbishop Sheen to.

Eulogize Jesus, but don’t reveal His identity until the end.

You might even use modern terminology to describe His teachings, His works and His love, to hide His true identity.

Make people think!

Mark

The best way is to pick a person who admires you a lot. Don’t pick the one that others pick for you and talk about them on what others tell you. This way, do it from your heart. You should pray about it.

I presented my speech today. I chose Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen.

I think it went well. I said a prayer and I felt comfortable presenting, and it flowed well.

Thanks, all!

Good for you!

That is awesome! I have never had this kind of speech in any of my classes when I was in college. I was wondering how students reacted…did they ask you questions?

Wow, so many to choose from… Personally I would consider (Blessed) Titus Brandsma, a Carmelite Martyr during WWII. He has an amazing story.

In Carmel,

Br. Allen

It is a public speaking class. We have 5 different types of speeches throughout the semester. I had feared this would be the hardest for me, but it turned out okay!

On Monday, I will receive my grade. I also will receive peer evaluation feedback. Everyone in the class evaluates the person speaking.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.