I have to have skin surgery/basil cell carcinoma

I can’t even believe this, but I just heard from the dermatologist that I went to a few weeks ago to have a mole on my forehead removed, and found out that it’s skin cancer.:frowning: I was initially upset, but I’m a bit calmer now. The nurse who scheduled my surgery said that the “micrographic surgery” removes ALL of the cancer, as this is a very “slow growth” cancer. Still the word cancer…not a word you want to hear in the same sentence with yourself, you know?:frowning:

Please pray that my dd doesn’t get too sad or upset. My husband didn’t want to tell her, but I think she should know…I mean, I’ll be walking around with bandages for two weeks after the surgery…think she’ll wonder what’s up? :o

Please keep me in your prayers…my surgery is scheduled for end of September. Thanks.

Praying for you and your family!!

Prayers, whatevergirl. :hug3:

I know two people who have had this, and in each case, surgery took care of the problem. Praying for you!

Hail Mary,
Full of Grace,
The Lord is with thee.
Blessed art thou among women,
and blessed is the fruit
of thy womb, Jesus.
Holy Mary,
Mother of God,
pray for us sinners now,
and at the hour of our death.
Amen

I also know someone who had this, and they had two of those removed, years apart and lived to be in their late 80’s. I’ll keep you in my prayers too. Both by the intercession of St. Peregrine and the Blessed Mother, (I will keep your family in my prayers too.) I would tell my daughter, she would want to know and pray for you too, I am sure.

+JMJTJ+

My Mom has had this procedure for the same condition several times and has done well, as has our neighbor.

You caught it early, so all should be well.

I agree your daughter should be told and educated on this.

You will be in my prayers.

*Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us, and increase Your mercy in us, so that in difficult moments we might not despair, nor become despondent, but with great confidence, submit ourselves to Your Holy Will, which is Love and Mercy itself. Amen

What your husband said may show that he’s finding the word “cancer” hard to deal with also, maybe he’s not ready to tell your daughter just yet because it’s too scary for him to have your name and cancer in the same paragraph, especially as there’s no practical way to conceal that you are having surgery and recovery. May God help him to deal with the thought of you being threatened by anything harmful. God bless him for his love!

How lovely that other pray-ers so quickly reassure you on the skin cancer and surgery! One just wants to bless them, doesn’t one!

I ask the Lord to help you through, and I thank and praise Him for revealing the problem early.

God bless and heal you, Trishie

Thank you everyone for your prayers…I agree with you Trishie…and we both told our dd…and son…and everything went well. I explained that this should stop the problem from spreading…and we went out for ice cream. Oddly enough, my son took it the hardest, and my dd is usually the emotional one. My son is 15, and my dd said that he went into his room to get ready for football practice and just looked sad about it all…I will explain further to him, that since it was caught early enough, this procedure should correct it.

I am praying about it too…

Each day–we have to thank God for our health.:o God bless.

Whatevergirl you are in my prayers right now.

The word “cancer” is so scary. But this type of cancer is very treatable, thank God.

God bless you & your family at this difficult time.

‘They’ (medical world) should rename this to something else…cancer sounds awful. But, if that’s what it is. The nurse said it a few times to me today…‘cancerous tissues…’ I am grateful that I found this doctor though, because being new to an area, I wasn’t sure who to go to, and found out today from a woman I work with, that her husband goes to the same doc, and has had these procedures done also…so I should be in good (safe) hands. We are always in God’s hands fire and foremost…:o

Also–since I work in the insurance business, this same coworker of mine sells med malpractice insurance, and does a lot of consulting with doctors, and has a license to access their loss histories…so, I asked her to look up to see this doctor’s loss history, and thankfully–no claims against him. (for med mal) Seeing that the incision will be on my face, I want to make sure he doesn’t have any lawsuits, etc…It was a relief.

I appreciate your prayers…

Praying for you!
My father has had this (different locations on his upper body, different years) and his surgeries took complete care of the cancer cells.
Hoping and praying for the same healing results for you. Praying for your family, for comfort and that they will be more aware of the preciousness of your life.

Blessings

that is a neat prayer, Sarah…thanks everyone, again. I have been talking to some coworkers today who have gone through this, and they say it shouldn’t spread, and it’s the easiest skin cancer to treat…so, that’s good, I guess. I just want to fast forward this a few more months, and have it be over. It’s the waiting to have this done that is hard.:frowning:

Praying for you you. My brother had the same thing removed years ago and is still feisty and alive today.

Praying for you.

Hail Mary full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, mother of God, pray for us sinners now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.